PDA

View Full Version : Colorado man fights off, kills mountain lion during trail run, suffers serious injuries

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 11:34 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/NsFInlFl.jpg

A Colorado runner was attacked Monday by a mountain lion during a trail run in the northern part of the state that resulted in puncture wounds to his face, arms, legs and back and the death of the animal.

Rebecca Ferrell, a spokeswoman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, tells The Coloradoan the man was running alone at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space near Fort Collins when he was attacked from behind.

The runner, whose name has not been released, fought off the cougar-- killing it in the process-- and hiked out of the area and drove himself to a hospital. The Denver Post reported that the runner suffered serious injuries that included facial bite wounds and lacerations to his body. He is expected to recover.

Wildlife officers searching the trail found the juvenile mountain lion's body near several of the runner's possessions. They estimated that the animal weighed about 80 pounds.

“The runner did everything he could to save his life. In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did,” Mark Leslie, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Northeast Region manager, told KKTV.

The last mountain lion attack in Colorado was reported in June 2016 in Pitkin County.

“Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner,” Ty Petersburg, area wildlife manager for CPW, said. “This could have had a very different outcome.”

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Attack of teh kitteh!

Pony
02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
How did he kill it? I'm sick of half assed journalism.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 01:42 PM
How did he kill it? I'm sick of half assed journalism.

They don't know....from a local news source:

As wildlife officers searched the trail area, the body of a juvenile mountain lion was found within feet of several possessions that the victim asked the officers to look for on the trail. The lion has been taken to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife animal health lab for a necropsy.

CPW said the runner “defended himself without the use of weapons.” They did not elaborate.

Pony
02-05-2019, 01:48 PM
CPW said the runner “defended himself without the use of weapons.” They did not elaborate.

Ah, thanks. That's all I wanted to know. Pretty impressive that he killed it bare handed!

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Ah, thanks. That's all I wanted to know. Pretty impressive that he killed it bare handed!

It was a juvenile cat though, not that it still isn't impressive. If it had been a full grown one, I doubt he would have fared nearly as well.

How big is a full grown mountain lion?

Though sizes vary greatly throughout the cat's geographic range, a typical adult male will weigh 110 to 180 pounds and the female 80 to 130 pounds. Exceptional individuals have exceeded 200 pounds, but this is rare. Adult males will measure 6 to 8 feet from nose to tail tip and females 5 to 7 feet.

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Damn teenager cats

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Update: they are saying that he suffocated it to death

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
"The runner, whose name has not been released, fought off the cougar-- killing it in the process-- "

I know his name. Leroy J. BADASS. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Back in Vermont, we'd wait for another cougar or two to show up to make it a fair fight :hand:

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:34 PM
:lol: where is the thread Lance

Griffin
02-06-2019, 04:01 AM
Back in Vermont, we'd wait for another cougar or two to show up to make it a fair fight :hand:

I saw that movie, "3 Busty Cougars Rock a Fat Dick"

RBP
02-06-2019, 04:03 AM
I saw that movie, "3 Busty Cougars Rock a Fat Dick"

Did you just call Lance a fat dick?

Pony
02-06-2019, 04:41 AM

:rofl:

Hal-9000
02-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Last cougar I saw was named Vera and she would take out her top plate before giving blowjobs.

Scared the hell out of me so I never tried to fight her.