PDA

View Full Version : Harvard prof doesn't back down from claims that alien spacecraft may be zipping past Jupiter orbit

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/98ePloBl.jpg

A distinguished Harvard University professor is not backing down from his claims that a piece of extraterrestrial spacecraft technology may be flying past the orbit of Jupiter at this moment.

Avi Loeb, one of the top astronomy professors in the world, boasting of decades of Ivy League professorships and hundreds of publicized works in respected astronomy publications, is remaining defiant that the space object – dubbed as “Oumuamua” – first noticed by Hawaiian astronomers in 2017 could be from another civilization.

“Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that ‘Oumuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris from an advanced technological equipment,” Loeb and his colleague Shmuel Bialy wrote in Astrophysical Journal Letters in November, according to the Washington Post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0SJv-A0CI

Since making the shock claim last year, many scientists have criticized Loeb for offering, in their view, the most sensationalist theory of what the object is.

“Oumuamua is not an alien spaceship, and the authors of the paper insult honest scientific inquiry to even suggest it,” Ohio State University astrophysicist Paul M. Sutter wrote in a tweet. Other scientists are more diplomatic and haven’t publicly countered Loeb’s claims, only saying that the object is likely just some sort of rock, whether it’s a piece of an asteroid or a comet.

But Loeb remains stubborn on this theory, and dismisses the claims that it’s a rock, noting that it's moving too fast for an inert rock. He told the Post that the object is long yet no more than one millimeter thick, and that it’s so light that sunlight is moving the object out of the solar system.

“Many people expected once there would be this publicity, I would back down,” Loeb says. “If someone shows me evidence to the contrary, I will immediately back down.”

“It changes your perception on reality, just knowing that we’re not alone,” he continued. “We are fighting on borders, on resources. … It would make us feel part of planet Earth as a civilization rather than individual countries voting on Brexit.”

Even as his theories attracted attention around the world, despite his colleagues’ criticism, Loeb says he’s not afraid of any possible repercussions for spreading his theories and wears it as a badge of honor, showing his unorthodox approach to science.

“The mainstream approach [is] you can sort of drink your coffee in the morning and expect what you will find later on. It’s a stable lifestyle, but for me it resembles more the lifestyle of a business person rather than scientists,” he told the newspaper.

“The worst thing that can happen to me is I would be relieved of my administrative duties, and that would give me even more time to focus on science,” he added. “All the titles I have, I can dial them back. In fact, I can dial myself back to the farm.”

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 12:50 PM
:lol:

Prove him wrong. That's the point, you can't. At this point in time, there's just no way to definitively know. All options should be left on the table until everybody's 100% certain. Because that's how science works.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
:lol:

Prove him wrong. That's the point, you can't.

So you're saying he's right! :shock:

Aliens are coming :freakout:

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 01:04 PM
They're nice aliens. :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 01:08 PM
They're nice aliens. :nono:

:hand:

If Hollywood has taught us anything, there's no such thing [-(

https://i.imgur.com/cwGu4zH.gif

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 01:09 PM
You must have missed ET.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 01:21 PM
You must have missed ET.

You must have missed seeing the screenplay for the sequel that didn't get greenlit :hand:

ET2: ET's Revenge, Operation Annihilate

Goofy
02-05-2019, 01:23 PM
:yawn:

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 01:24 PM
You must have missed seeing the screenplay for the sequel that didn't get greenlit :hand:

ET2: ET's Revenge, Operation Annihilate

[-(

You made that up.

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:42 PM
"He told the Post that the object is long yet no more than one millimeter thick, and that it’s so light that sunlight is moving the object out of the solar system."

If it is aliens we'll get our big boots on ready to stomp :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 06:51 PM
"He told the Post that the object is long yet no more than one millimeter thick, and that it’s so light that sunlight is moving the object out of the solar system."

:slap:

...not backing down from his claims that a piece of extraterrestrial spacecraft technology...

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:53 PM

He's starting his theory with a broad supposition based on no evidence and he knows it..

"Considering an artificial origin...."

You can't just say it :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 06:57 PM
DGX has already been in here and said you can't prove him wrong :hand:

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 08:01 PM
What does mystify me is how they can see something near Jupiter that's only a millimeter thick.

Even if it's 200 million miles long (which it isn't) how can they detect something that thin through a telescope?

We can't even get a clear picture of a bank robber from a camera 10 feet over his head.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Magnets? :confused:

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Magnets? :confused:

Here's my theory based on fact.

I postulate this guy is dickhead based on his picture. Just look at him grinning... like a total dickhead :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 08:10 PM
He's a Harvard professor, he's smarter than all of us :hand:

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 08:19 PM
The millimeter thick statement is just part of Loeb's solar sail theory. That thing is cigar or club shaped, around 400 meters long and as much as 50 meters wide at some points.

Here's why Lisa Loeb is full of poopoo. He thinks it's a solar sail and that's what is causing the non gravitational acceleration. Other, less wacky scientists say that a sail wouldn't account for any continuous acceleration because they don't work that way.

It may be over 600000 years old but they can't connect it with any older stars that existed near where it entered our galaxy. It's old, it's hauling ass and it looks like a giant space poop.

Giant space poop? :shock:

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 08:47 PM

He's starting his theory with a broad supposition based on no evidence and he knows it..

"Considering an artificial origin...."

You can't just say it :lol:

No one has any evidence. Nobody knows what it is. Anyone postulating a theory is basing it on supposition. I think that's his point. You have a whole mess of people saying it's this or it's that and they have as much of a chance at being right at this point in time as does a person saying it's an alien technology.

Don't assume anything. Wait until you can gather better evidence and then postulate a theory.

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 09:02 PM
No one has any evidence. Nobody knows what it is. Anyone postulating a theory is basing it on supposition. I think that's his point. You have a whole mess of people saying it's this or it's that and they have as much of a chance at being right at this point in time as does a person saying it's an alien technology.

Don't assume anything. Wait until you can gather better evidence and then postulate a theory.

I understand the idea :thumbsup: I think I even mentioned it a few threads ago talking about non tactile theories in science not being able to be proven or disproved.

We look through a telescope and assume 'this', based on other theories we have and consider it a truth. Until we actually touch something or get a sample, it remains the accepted theory.

I called it the Galileo syndrome years ago :thumbsup:

lost in melb.
02-06-2019, 12:48 AM

Flat-earthears 8-[

Hal-9000
02-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Flat-earthears 8-[

I hear you mate.

:dance: