PDA

View Full Version : Angry Trucker Runs an Ambulance off the Road, Battles Cops for Five Hours with a Machete

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Elizabeth Werth - Jalopnik

https://i.imgur.com/5nt0bhb.png

What’s the most frustrated you’ve ever been on the road? Don’t lie, it happens to all of us—you get annoyed at one little thing, and suddenly everyone else on the highway becomes a driver from hell. But chances are, you probably haven’t gotten so mad that you drove an ambulance off the road—or, y’know, threatened cops with a machete.

It all started on a stretch of I-10 in Mobile County, Alabama. The Mobile County Police Department received a call detailing a pretty terrible scene: the driver of an 18-wheeler had run an ambulance off the road and then proceeded to do so with just about every other car that tried to pass him. And it was all caught on someone’s dashcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOeJ4wiBnE

The ambulance drivers were among the first to report the incident to the police. When they saw the erratic driver, they turned on their lights in an attempt to get the man behind the wheel to pull over. Instead, he just ran them off the road.

Other cars attempting to pass the truck suffered the same fate. Several other calls were placed to the police, according to local news station WKRG.

The driver hit two other cars before the police got there—but the man wasn’t backing down so easily. He tried to outrun police by crossing the state line into Mississippi. It’s unclear where or why the trucker stopped, but he eventually did—which is when the cops found out he was wielding a machete.

Both the east and westbound lanes of I-10 were shut down while police engaged with the angry driver for almost five hours. It took an astounding combination of smoke bombs, tear gas, and flash bangs just to get the guy to surrender.

The driver, identified as Michael Mack of Baton Rouge, is now facing a looooong list of felonies across multiple jurisdictions, and judges aren’t posting any bail. Among the charges are felony pursuit, aggravated assault against a police officer, criminal mischief, and reckless endangerment.

What’s not clear is why Mack was so damn mad—and how he managed to defend himself against the police for five straight hours.

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oGfJOhK.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 12:41 PM
:racist:

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 12:44 PM
No, that's Michael Mack of Baton Rouge.

Goofy
02-05-2019, 01:26 PM
:nuts:

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 01:31 PM
I bet if he was white, the cops would have just shot him. But because he's black, and cops are getting tired of being branded as racist murderers in the media, they took the time to take him down without shooting him.

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:39 PM
"...while police engaged with the angry driver for almost five hours. It took an astounding combination of smoke bombs, tear gas, and flash bangs just to get the guy to surrender."

:-k

Why don't the cops invent a fast acting sniper tranquilizer gun? Instead of worrying about taser voltages, smoke bombs etc....why not shoot him with a dart? He's a proven danger already, drug the hell out of his ass and stop the insanity.

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Somebody will complain that they're treating a black man like an animal and that's racist.

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Until that same black man runs someone off the road and kills them.

We had a famous story about a guy who was tased at an airport and died as a result.

There must be a way to create a drug that will drop a person without the danger of a heart attack etc.

Just think of the applications during shooting and hostage incidents.

I saw a really cool sniper shot when a guy was outdoors with hostages I think, and the guy kept sitting in a chair, walking around for a bit, then sitting again.

At one point he sat down, holding the handgun down beside him and the sniper shot the gun right out of his hand.

Pony
02-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Until that same black man runs someone off the road and kills them.

We had a famous story about a guy who was tased at an airport and died as a result.

There must be a way to create a drug that will drop a person without the danger of a heart attack etc.

Just think of the applications during shooting and hostage incidents.

I saw a really cool sniper shot when a guy was outdoors with hostages I think, and the guy kept sitting in a chair, walking around for a bit, then sitting again.

At one point he sat down, holding the handgun down beside him and the sniper shot the gun right out of his hand.

I doubt they would be able to develop any drug like that as people react differently to medications. Especially those already on drugs. Tasers can be dangerous, especially when the tased falls and cracks their head on the concrete but for the most part I think they are a necessary "less than lethal" option. As with anything accidental death can occur. Most of this falls under the Don't run, don't fight with cops category. The cops are required to escalate to whatever level is necessary to protect the public. Same as using a PITT maneuver or putting out spikes to stop a car chase. Can be very dangerous for the criminal but it's done overall to protect the innocent public.

As far as the sniper shooting the gun out, that was a GREAT video but not really applicable in most situations. That was a rare case where a sniper was available and the guy was making minimal movements. They had time to plan and setup. In this case they had 5 hours but we don't know if he was barricaded in the truck for most of that time?

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2019, 10:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhECHpArQSg

Hal-9000
02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhECHpArQSg

Thanks man. There's more to that exchange because he developed a pattern of walking around, sitting down and the sniper waited him out until the optimum time.

Hal-9000
02-06-2019, 04:26 PM
I doubt they would be able to develop any drug like that as people react differently to medications. Especially those already on drugs. Tasers can be dangerous, especially when the tased falls and cracks their head on the concrete but for the most part I think they are a necessary "less than lethal" option. As with anything accidental death can occur. Most of this falls under the Don't run, don't fight with cops category. The cops are required to escalate to whatever level is necessary to protect the public. Same as using a PITT maneuver or putting out spikes to stop a car chase. Can be very dangerous for the criminal but it's done overall to protect the innocent public.

As far as the sniper shooting the gun out, that was a GREAT video but not really applicable in most situations. That was a rare case where a sniper was available and the guy was making minimal movements. They had time to plan and setup. In this case they had 5 hours but we don't know if he was barricaded in the truck for most of that time?

Why I brought the sniper up is to illustrate that police have people that can shoot if necessary. There's a lot of scenarios where snipers could be brought in to save lives. Which touches on the drug thing. I'm sure they could create something that would knock out the average person. And if it's escalated to that level and the choice is the bad guy hurts more people or we put him down, the cops shouldn't have to worry about him hitting his head or a possible adverse reaction to a drug. If the alternative is shooting him, chances are he's going to die anyways.

Pony
02-06-2019, 05:12 PM
If the alternative is shooting him, chances are he's going to die anyways.

Meh, Then we won't have to pay for all his years in prison.

:nana:

Hal-9000
02-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Meh, Then we won't have to pay for all his years in prison.

:nana:

Yes :lol: I'm talking about the times where cops repeatedly tase someone without effect or try tear gas, rubber bullets sort of thing.

If they're in a situation where the person has or could harm other people, shoot the dart with 1000 cc's of Sleepytime from a distance or better yet, pump a few darts into him.