PDA

View Full Version : Cub Scout takes a knee during Pledge of Allegiance at city council meeting

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
by Eric Ruble - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/AsPLWUt.jpg

DURHAM, N.C. — A 10-year-old boy sparked a controversy at a city council meeting in Durham, North Carolina Monday night, according to WNCN. Liam Holmes, a Cub Scout, took a knee during the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of the meeting.

“What I did was took a knee against racial discrimination, which is basically when people are mean to other people of different colors,” Liam told WNCN.

The North Carolina station said Liam discussed the idea with his father, Scott Holmes, beforehand. However, Scott said he was unsure whether Liam would follow through.

“When he did it, I was really surprised and also really proud of him,” Scott said.
Durham Mayor Steve Schewel said he respected Liam’s decision.

“To the scout that expressed his conscience by kneeling, we will say we endorse and appreciate all expressions of conscience in Durham City Council,” Schewel said, according to WNCN.

A lifelong scout and veteran reached out to WNCN after hearing about Liam’s decision to kneel.

“It just blew my mind that this was Cub Scouts and politics,” Brandon LaRoque said. “Part of the scout oath is to God and your country, and I understand people have the right to freedom of speech. I just don’t understand why it has to be during the Pledge of Allegiance.”

The news station asked Liam what he would say to people who disapproved of his choice.

“Well, those people just don’t listen,” Liam said.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
“What I did was took a knee against racial discrimination, which is basically when people are mean to other people of different colors,” Liam told WNCN.

The North Carolina station said Liam discussed the idea with his father, Scott Holmes, beforehand. However, Scott said he was unsure whether Liam would follow through.

“When he did it, I was really surprised and also really proud of him,” Scott said.

Yes, I'm absolutely SURE that this was the idea of a 10 year old and not put into his head by his father. :rolleyes:

RBP
02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Yes, I'm absolutely SURE that this was the idea of a 10 year old and not put into his head by his father. :rolleyes:

Dad is a "Professor of Restorative Justice"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There is no better time to exercise our LIBERTY to point out how our Country has failed to live up to our promise of JUSTICE FOR ALL than when we are facing the flag to pledge those words together. And, it is patriotic to help our country fulfill that highest founding promise.</p>&mdash; Scott Holmes (@CScottHolmes) <a href="https://twitter.com/CScottHolmes/status/1094307550693081088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 9, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Dad is a "Professor of Restorative Justice"

WTF does that even mean? :huh:

:facepalm:

RBP
02-11-2019, 01:48 PM
WTF does that even mean? :huh:

:facepalm:

Mediation for crime between perp and victim as an alternative to criminal court.

Muddy
02-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Kick that little fucker in his ass..

RBP
02-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Kick that little fucker in his ass..

Dad was so proud!!

Muddy
02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Dad was so proud!!

Dads a commie.

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Dad should be kicked in the head.

lost in melb.
02-12-2019, 02:12 AM
Gotta give it to him, that took courage. He looks shit- scared!

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2019, 02:22 AM
I feel bad for him. What he's gonna have to endure because of the stupid shit his Dad put in his head. He's gonna suffer ridicule and abuse at the hands of his peers. And for what? His Dad's ego?