PDA

View Full Version : Man falls into tank of sulfuric acid

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2019, 12:45 PM
By Mark Cavitt - The Oakland Press

https://i.imgur.com/LdfQAVo.jpg

A man fell into a tank of sulfuric acid Saturday afternoon in South Lyon at the Michigan Seamless Tube facility.

South Lyon Fire Chief Robert Vogel said a call came into the department around 12:20 p.m. Saturday for a report of a man falling into a tube.

While en route to the facility located at 400 Mcmunn Street, Vogel was told the man had fallen into some chemicals or hot water and that he had been removed by a coworker.

That coworker received burns on their hands, but was not seen taken to the hospital, according to Vogel.

"We arrived and found a gentleman that fell into a large vat of 160 degree of sulfuric acid," said Vogel. "They use the acid for their tube processing. They make the pipe and then dip the pipe into the acid to make it stronger."

Vogel said the man was put under a shower before being rushed to The University of Michigan Hospital emergency room in Ann Arbor. He's currently in the burn unit.

"The condition of the man (when I saw him at the scene) was bad," said Vogel. "It was not good. He had burns to 100 percent of his body."

The cause of the man's fall is unknown at this time as the South Lyon Police Department has just begun its investigation, according to Vogel. The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration is expected to be involved as well.

lost in melb.
02-11-2019, 01:25 PM
:|

Goofy
02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Ouch :shock:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2019, 05:00 PM
OMG

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
On the list of horrible ways to die, this one would be up near the top. Not just a vat of sulfuric acid, a vat of HOT sulfuric acid.

And if this guy doesn't die, I'm gonna guess he's going to feel like he wishes he was dead.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Yeah, just let me die

Hal-9000
02-11-2019, 05:11 PM
On the list of horrible ways to die, this one would be up near the top. Not just a vat of sulfuric acid, a vat of HOT sulfuric acid.

And if this guy doesn't die, I'm gonna guess he's going to feel like he wishes he was dead.

Yeah not only sulfuric acid, 160 degree sulfuric acid :(

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2019, 04:42 PM
By Chris Perez - The NY Post

https://i.imgur.com/SG7QpUp.png

“Fooling around on the job is a job for fools.”

This ominous message was reportedly displayed outside a manufacturing building in Michigan — where a worker died Saturday after falling into a vat of sulfuric acid.

Fellow employees found Daniel Hill, also known as “Moose,” fully submerged in the chemical tank and tried rescuing him, according to HometownLife.

The 54-year-old grandfather was taken to a decontamination room and then rushed to a hospital, but he eventually succumbed to his injuries.

It’s unclear how long Hill — who worked for Michigan Seamless Tube in South Lyon — was in the vat or how he fell in. Local officials told reporters that the acid inside was heated to temperatures of at least 160 degrees.

“This really is a tragedy and affects all of us,” said South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik on Monday. “We tried to reach out to his family and we offer our condolences.”

Authorities are investigating the incident — described by MST management as a “serious industrial accident” — but do not believe there was any foul play.

The “fooling around on the job” message that was outside the company building on Saturday appeared to be gone by Monday afternoon. Local reporter Charlie Langton had tweeted out a picture of the sign that displayed it earlier in the day.

“So sad,” he said.

Hill had been working at MST for about two years and had recently been transferred to a new position, according to officials.

He was described in his obituary as a “loving husband, a wonderful father, and the best grandfather to his grandchildren, which he called ‘his little angels.'”

“Daniel was very generous to everyone he met and a very dedicated, hard worker,” the obit added. “He served in the Army in the motor pool and was proud of his service.”

According to MST, Hill was a “valued” employee and his death is being investigated.

“The Company is conducting a comprehensive investigation of the accident and is cooperating with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration,” it said.

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
:rip:

Hal-9000
02-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Why do I think - kill me now - were part of his last words :rip:

Godfather
02-13-2019, 02:04 AM
Jesus I'm almost relieved to hear he passed so quickly. I can't think of many worse ways to go.

I'll be curious to see a follow up article on the investigation...

Muddy
02-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Very tragic.. :(

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:13 PM
I cringe thinking of that company and the guy who has to change the sign...

Zero days since last workplace accident :(

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Maybe the guy that fell in should have had his nickname changed to Stu :-k

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Maybe the guy that fell in should have had his nickname changed to Stu :-k

Way too soon :hand:

I worked with a woman who did bindery in one of our printshops and she lost a finger on the cutter. If you haven't seen, commercial cutters are huge beasts and usually have two safety features that prevent the blade from chopping. She was a veteran and knew how to get around them...until...CHOP!

She kept her job for years after and I saw her use the same cutter daily. :lol: That would unnerve me ...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Did you call her Lefty after that? :-k

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:32 PM

She was actually a very attractive milf with pitch black hair and wore skintight jeans every day. I used to chat with her often on the way by...

Legend has it she buried two husbands, was at least in her late 50's and looked like the Crypt Keeper when not wearing make up. And her hair was totally white without dye.

She did wear a fair amount of spackle :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:34 PM
The guys in the print shop called her 'Beauty' as a nickname and she used to giggle when then did.

She had no idea it referred to Black Beauty the horse, in reference to the amount of hair dye she used :rofl:

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:36 PM

To clarify, she had the accident before I met her.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2019, 05:38 PM
She was actually a very attractive milf with pitch black hair and wore skintight jeans every day. I used to chat with her often on the way by...

Legend has it she buried two husbands, was at least in her late 50's and looked like the Crypt Keeper when not wearing make up. And her hair was totally white without dye.

She did wear a fair amount of spackle :lol:

Attractive, but looked like the Crypt Keeper.... :huh:

Hal-9000
02-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Attractive, but looked like the Crypt Keeper.... :huh:

Without make up apparently...some of the printshop guys had worked with her for decades.

Yeah up close you could cracks in the facade, but it was more wrinkles than anything. I still thought she was sexy :shrug: