PDA

View Full Version : The ecstatic sailor shown kissing a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II has died

DemonGeminiX
02-18-2019, 11:18 PM
https://tribwgntv.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/v-j-day-times-square-kiss.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&strip=all

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The ecstatic sailor shown kissing a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II has died. George Mendonsa was 95.

Mendonsa’s daughter, Sharon Molleur, told The Providence Journal Mendonsa fell and had a seizure Sunday at the assisted living facility in Middletown, Rhode Island, where he lived with his wife of 70 years.

Mendonsa was shown kissing Greta Zimmer Friedman, a dental assistant in a nurse’s uniform, on Aug. 14, 1945. Known as V-J Day, it was the day Japan surrendered to the United States.

The photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt became one of the most famous photographs of the 20th century.

It was years before Mendonsa and Friedman were confirmed to be the couple.

Friedman died in 2016 at the age of 92.

Mendonsa died two days before his 96th birthday.

Hal-9000
02-19-2019, 04:43 PM
There was some bad press about this iconic picture. Detractors said the sailor grabbed the first woman he could find and molested her without permission.

The claims went away but it otherwise marred a truly unique moment in time.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Yup, there was a story about it that I thought I posted in here, but it must have been elsewhere (maybe RBP's thread). Trying to paint it like she was sexually assaulted. :rolleyes:

DemonGeminiX
02-19-2019, 04:55 PM
I completely ignored those stories. Things were different back then. Simpler. People weren't getting offended by every single little thing they saw out of the corner of their eye. This moment was unique, and hopefully the world will never have to experience anything like the events that led up to it again.

Hal-9000
02-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Yup, there was a story about it that I thought I posted in here, but it must have been elsewhere (maybe RBP's thread). Trying to paint it like she was sexually assaulted. :rolleyes:

She could have been trans and identifying as non fluid binary pansexual omnivore stamp collector who doesn't shave her legs [-(

That kiss was a form of rape.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2019, 11:27 AM
By Josh Hammer - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/R911DSUl.jpg

The "Kissing Sailor" image, in many ways, defined the heroism of the Greatest Generation. The photograph, taken on August 14, 1945 by photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt, portrays a U.S. Navy sailor passionately kissing a seemingly random woman in Times Square, New York City shortly before President Truman's formal nationwide proclamation that evening of American military victory in Japan. As CBS News writes, it "became one of the most famous photographs of the 20th century."

On Sunday, George Mendonsa, the Navy sailor identified as the titular "Kissing Sailor," passed away. He would have turned 96 years old today. "He was very proud of his service and the picture and what it stood for," said Mendonsa's daughter, Sharon Molleur, as reported by NBC News. "Always, for many, many years later, it was an important part of his life."

On Monday, the day after Mendonsa's death, a prominent Sarasota, Florida statue based on the "Kissing Sailor" image was apparently vandalized by #MeToo partisans. NBC News reports:

The Unconditional Surrender statue in Sarasota, Florida — depicting the iconic image of a sailor kissing a woman in a nurse's uniform in Times Square after the end of World War II — was vandalized Monday, only a day after the veteran in the photo, George Mendonsa, died at 95.

Officers responded at about 12:55 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a person spray-painting the statue, the Sarasota Police Department said in a statement.

When officers arrived, they found the words "#MeToo" in red covering the length of the woman's left leg. The #MeToo movement supports the survivors of sexual abuse, assault and harassment.

The graffiti was subsequently removed.
Local Sarasota police do not currently have any strong leads as to the defacer(s), as Fox News reports. "There was no available surveillance video in the area that captured the incident. There are no known witnesses. It’s believed the incident occurred on Monday, February 18, 2019, between the mid-afternoon and evening hours, however, it is unknown exactly what time," local police said in a released statement.

In a 2005 interview, Greta Zimmer Friedman — the dental assistant who Mendonsa kissed in the iconic photo — told the Library of Congress that she did not necessarily want to be kissed. Rather, she said at the time, "The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed. I felt he was very strong, he was just holding me tight, and I'm not sure I — about the kiss because, you know, it was just somebody really celebrating. But it wasn't a romantic event. It was just an event of 'thank God the war is over' kind of thing because it was right in front of the sign."

It is for this reason that the image has come to be seen in a less positive light in the #MeToo era. As CBS News claims, "Critics argue the photograph didn't depict romance because Mendonsa, who said he was drinking, simply grabbed and kissed Friedman without knowing her. ...Others said the image was symbolic of a time when men controlled women and normalized sexual assault."

It now remains to be seen whether the vandalizer of Sarasota's Unconditional Surrender statue was indeed a #MeToo activist.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2019, 03:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ijR4MW5.png

:|

RBP
02-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Surprised it's not in period blood.

Muddy
02-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Did yall like the OP post because you were glad he died because of the #metoo implication?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Surprised it's not in period blood.

Don't give them any ideas.

Hal-9000
02-20-2019, 04:56 PM
The metoo generation needs to go through a war. A real one where cities get leveled and food is at a premium and privilege is being able to take a breath every day without dying.

Then they may better understand moments in history, rather than shitting all over them.

DemonGeminiX
02-20-2019, 05:33 PM
The metoo generation needs to go through a war. A real one where cities get leveled and food is at a premium and privilege is being able to take a breath every day without dying.

Then they may better understand moments in history, rather than shitting all over them.

That's the problem, they've never known real fear, they've never seen real horror. I don't know what they were taught in schools to get them this way, but it's all an illusion that can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Hal-9000
02-20-2019, 05:40 PM
That's the problem, they've never known real fear, they've never seen real horror. I don't know what they were taught in schools to get them this way, but it's all an illusion that can disappear in the blink of an eye.

I feel horrible just reading some war accounts and I'm only imagining the conditions and what it took to make it through.

Real horror for these kids is a sketchy wifi connection and feeling dizzy because they only got to eat 3000 calories that day and Starbucks was closed!