PDA

View Full Version : Students stage walkout to protest school’s dress code ban on do-rags

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2019, 12:36 PM
By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/bRHcszGl.jpg

Students at John Muir High School in Pasadena, Calif., staged a walkout Wednesday morning to protest the school district’s ban on do-rags, arguing the dress code criminalizes young black men.
More than 100 students reportedly participated in the walkout, which took place Wednesday at 9:27 a.m., to protest the ban.

“The main reason we protest today is because we’re trying to stop the criminalization of black men on campus,” senior Reggie Myles of the Black Student Union told the Pasadena Star-News.

The students involved in the walkout have claimed the do-rag ban is “trying to cleanse our ethnic beauty” while also perpetuating a stereotype that the head covering is gang-related apparel, Pasadena Star News reported.
Students participating in the walkout chanted “I am not dangerous” during the peaceful protest, Yahoo Lifestyle reported.

According to the Pasadena Unified School District’s dress code, do-rags are not mentioned specifically, but all “hats, caps and other head coverings” are banned from being worn indoors -- including do-rags, or wave caps.

Principal Lawton Gray defended the dress code, but denied that the ban had anything to do with the head covering being seen as gang-related apparel.

“It has to do with the values we have for how we present ourselves at school,” he told the Pasadena Star-News.

“The time to wear a do-rags to protect waves is when you’re asleep,” he added.

Though the ban is currently in effect, Gray said he has met with, and will continue to meet with, the Black Student Union to discuss the dress code.

“We are providing classroom and campus dialogue to provide secure forums where all opinions are respected in both words and actions,” he told Pasadena Star-News.

The students reportedly did not face disciplinary action for participating in the walkout.

Muddy
02-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Yo Mafucka!! Get up off my doo-rag!! Sheeeet.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Stop trying to trying to cleanse their ethnic beauty! :x

Muddy
02-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Why deny a man some ripples in his hair?

Hal-9000
02-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Geez I thought the Aunt Jemima do-rag insults the memory of black folk.

When I see young people wearing them I automatically think gang.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-25-2019, 09:28 PM
https://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/58123eb2312e581a7b000006/www.headcovers.com/v~4b.1a9.0.0/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/63x/c0f9f51c6dda7c67e204ec36d46bf0bc/f/l/fleece-headwrap-turban-du-rags-for-women-blue.jpg?yocs=a_i_&yoloc=us

Godfather
02-26-2019, 05:31 AM
According to the Pasadena Unified School District’s dress code, do-rags are not mentioned specifically, but all “hats, caps and other head coverings” are banned from being worn indoors -- including do-rags, or wave caps.

This has been the rule in every school I've ever attended. Why are old rules now racist instead of, oh I dono, respectfull? Just because!

'Criminalization' :lol: I don't think they know what this word means.

Godfather
02-26-2019, 05:32 AM
I'm staging a walkout at my job this week because they won't let me wear my goalie mask at work.

Are you brothers with me, or are you racist towards Canadians? #wenotcriminals

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 09:43 PM
I'm staging a walkout at my job this week because they won't let me wear my goalie mask at work.

I'm with you bro. I wanted to wear my Celine Dion mask (and gown) to work and they tried the same 'disrespectful' shit with me.

You know what's disrespectful? Not hearing the Titanic theme song at least once per day [-(

lost in melb.
02-27-2019, 05:23 AM
You think you have a hard time

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQtljPpHZmbDYXBS3o8GkvvGp_JaNu 60IFhSo79RmxuGFmqyqc-

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2019, 11:03 AM

I'm with you bro. I wanted to wear my Celine Dion mask (and gown) to work and they tried the same 'disrespectful' shit with me.

You know what's disrespectful? Not hearing the Titanic theme song at least once per day [-(

Back to the snow mines you Canadians! :x

Hal-9000
02-27-2019, 05:02 PM
You think you have a hard time

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQtljPpHZmbDYXBS3o8GkvvGp_JaNu 60IFhSo79RmxuGFmqyqc-

Lot of mosquitoes indoors over there Lost?

Hal-9000
02-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Back to the snow mines you Canadians! :x

:(

*mumbles about emancipation proclamation

** mumbles about the cold weather

lost in melb.
02-28-2019, 02:30 AM
Lot of mosquitoes indoors over there Lost?

No distinction between indoors and outdoors here :hand:

https://jadeful.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/dsc_3658.jpg