PDA

View Full Version : Americans use too much toilet paper and it’s hurting the planet, report says

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 12:13 PM
By Ellen Wulfhorst - Reuters

https://i.imgur.com/GtTyuH8h.jpg

Americans use more toilet paper than anyone else in the world, helping destroy the habitats of native people who live where it is sourced and contributing to global warming, a research study said on Wednesday.

U.S. consumers use roughly three rolls of toilet paper a week, accounting for a fifth of the world’s tissue consumption, according to the report by environmental groups Stand.earth and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).

Single-use tissue products such as toilet paper used in the United States are made from wood pulp, mostly derived from logging in the old-growth northern, or boreal, forest in Canada, where logging companies clear cut more than a million acres (405,000 hectares) every year, the NRDC said.

The forest plays a key role in combating global warming because it absorbs and stores carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas that contributes to it, the group said.

Logging releases that carbon into the atmosphere. Canada’s forest area has declined more than 9 percent since 2000 from logging, it said.

The NRDC singled out giant U.S. tissue producers Procter & Gamble Co., Kimberly-Clark Corp. and Georgia-Pacific for using largely virgin fiber wood pulp in their products rather than recycled content or alternative fibers.

“The average American consumer doesn’t think about how their toilet paper is made,” said Shelley Vinyard, a co-author of the report and campaign manager of the NRDC’s boreal corporate campaign, on a conference call with members of the media.

“We can’t afford this old-fashioned and out-dated approach to making toilet paper and other tissue products, given the climate crisis and the urgent need to keep our forests intact,” she said.

A spokeswoman for Georgia-Pacific said the company makes products from recovered fiber and also from virgin wood, which is chosen for its softness and absorbency, and that it takes steps to assure it is sourcing wood responsibly.

“The choice of the raw materials we use for our products is driven by the product quality and performance characteristics demanded by our consumers,” the spokeswoman said in an email.

Kimberly-Clark has committed to reducing virgin pulp content in its products by 50 percent by 2025 and increasing the use of low-impact alternative and recycled fibers, a spokesman said.

Its suppliers adhere to industry standards to manage forests, he said in an email.

“We are committed to making our products in ways that not only provide the health and hygiene performance consumers expect from our brands, but do so in a way that ensures the resilience of the forests where we source our fiber,” wrote Terry Balluck, Kimberly-Clark’s director of global communications.

Representatives of Procter & Gamble did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The boreal forest in Canada is home to more than 600 communities of indigenous people whose traditional ways of life are threatened by intensive logging, the report said.

“Some communities have only a fraction of their forest left intact,” the report said. “Often communities do not have the power to say no to development on their lands.”

Clearing the forest has affected the traditional routes where Cree people hunt, fish and trap in northern Quebec, said Mandy Gull, Cree Nation deputy grand chief, on the conference call.

Per capita, U.S. consumers use about 141 toilet paper rolls a year, compared with the United Kingdom at 127, Japan at 91 and France at 71, the report said.

Goofy
02-26-2019, 01:39 PM
What a load of shite.......

:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 01:45 PM
What a load of shite.......

:dance:

You guys aren't far behind us :nono:

RBP
02-26-2019, 01:46 PM
I'm sure it's cishet white males who use the most. [/S]

Goofy
02-26-2019, 01:46 PM
You guys aren't far behind us :nono:
I use the 3 sea shells :hand:

:tubgirl:

lost in melb.
02-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Dirty assholes :spank:

Muddy
02-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Im going to start wiping my ass on leaves..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 02:39 PM
We could always go back to this:

Ancient Romans were a bit more sophisticated than the Greeks when it came to cleansing: They opted for a sponge on the end of a long stick that was shared by everyone in the community. When not in use, that stick stayed in a bucket of heavily salted seawater in the communal bathroom. The public facilities were also equipped with a long marble bench with holes carved out for—well, you know what they were carved out for—and holes at the front for your sponge on a stick to slide through. Romans didn’t have dividing walls, either, so you sat right next to that cute girl from the insulae down the road.

lost in melb.
02-26-2019, 03:07 PM
We could always go back to this:

Ancient Romans were a bit more sophisticated than the Greeks when it came to cleansing: They opted for a sponge on the end of a long stick that was shared by everyone in the community. When not in use, that stick stayed in a bucket of heavily salted seawater in the communal bathroom. The public facilities were also equipped with a long marble bench with holes carved out for—well, you know what they were carved out for—and holes at the front for your sponge on a stick to slide through. Romans didn’t have dividing walls, either, so you sat right next to that cute girl from the insulae down the road.

And the Greeks? :-k

(ok, maybe too much info 8-[)

RBP
02-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Porky solved this already. :hand:

:corn:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 03:10 PM
And the Greeks? :-k)

Using the bathroom has come a long way from when ancient Greeks used stones and pieces of clay for personal hygiene.

DemonGeminiX
02-26-2019, 03:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZgrG7g97A

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHv2dIM3t9I

PorkChopSandwiches
02-26-2019, 04:18 PM
Porky solved this already. :hand:

:corn:

No :hand: That shitter needs to be clean. :lol:

Also, we tried some bamboo TP, it was awful

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 06:21 PM
I know a group of 40 year olds who swear we're all animals for using toilet paper. They insist everyone should buy wetwipes and carry them around with you. (like that wouldn't be cost intensive)

Also, people from other countries insist bidets are the way to go for men and women and they think TP is barbaric as well.

Not sure I could shoot water up and around my butt every time without giggling and wondering - Is all the corn gone? :-s

RBP
02-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Not sure I could shoot water up and around my butt every time without giggling and wondering - Is all the corn gone? :-s

No different than how you prefer for dates.

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 06:27 PM
No different than how you prefer for dates.

:x

I use the communal stick 'n sponge, fuck you very much.

*last month we lost the sponge and it took a lot of kale and dicey chicken breasts that may have been just a touch past the expiration date to find it again :oops:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 06:36 PM
I know a group of 40 year olds who swear we're all animals for using toilet paper. They insist everyone should buy wetwipes and carry them around with you. (like that wouldn't be cost intensive)

Also, people from other countries insist bidets are the way to go for men and women and they think TP is barbaric as well.

From the article about the ancient Romans:

One culture today still doesn’t want anything to do with toilet paper; it’s widely known that many in India (except for Westerners who visit) use the left-hand-and-bucket-of-water method. Most actually argue that using water is cleaner than using tissue paper, and consider using anything but water to be filthy.

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 06:42 PM
From the article about the ancient Romans:

One culture today still doesn’t want anything to do with toilet paper; it’s widely known that many in India (except for Westerners who visit) use the left-hand-and-bucket-of-water method. Most actually argue that using water is cleaner than using tissue paper, and consider using anything but water to be filthy.

At my old place of work...we had to clean off the toilet seats or leave notes for the janitors because certain nationalities would squat on top of them. When challenged at a monthly meeting, we were told that sitting down is considered unhygienic and that it's their prerogative to use the bathroom that way.

Unhygienic...similar to leaving dirty shoe or boot prints on the toilet seats???? :x

You should have heard my recessive Archie Bunker gene come out full force. I was not polite :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 07:02 PM
At my old place of work...we had to clean off the toilet seats or leave notes for the janitors because certain nationalities would squat on top of them. When challenged at a monthly meeting, we were told that sitting down is considered unhygienic and that it's their prerogative to use the bathroom that way.

Unhygienic...similar to leaving dirty shoe or boot prints on the toilet seats???? :x

You should have heard my recessive Archie Bunker gene come out full force. I was not polite :lol:

How xenophobic of you [-(

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 07:39 PM
How xenophobic of you [-(

Good word choice...from an American :lol: :rofl:

:fu:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Good word choice...from an American :lol: :rofl:

:fu:

You don't hear me disparaging the brown folk because of their bathroom habits :hand:

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 07:43 PM
You don't hear me disparaging the brown folk because of their bathroom habits :hand:

I don't care if they're pink or green or blue folk.

Ya don't stand on the toilet seat in Canada, eh! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 07:47 PM
I don't care if they're pink or green or blue folk.

Ya don't stand on the toilet seat in Canada, eh! :x

Elitist [-(

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Elitist [-(

In that meeting the brown folk seemed to think it was funny, so I brought up the question of what would happen if someone slipped and got injured. What would the insurance repercussions be for missing work time due to a preventable bathroom accident.

My supervisor later told me he had to turn away to avoid laughing as I was trying to make my case :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 07:54 PM
In that meeting the brown folk seemed to think it was funny, so I brought up the question of what would happen if someone slipped and got injured. What would the insurance repercussions be for missing work time due to a preventable bathroom accident.

My supervisor later told me he had to turn away to avoid laughing as I was trying to make my case :lol:

You god damn well know they would have sued if they would have slipped and fell :lol: And of course then you would end up with hand holds halfway up the stall wall after that to make the stalls "safe" :roll:

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 08:11 PM
You god damn well know they would have sued if they would have slipped and fell :lol: And of course then you would end up with hand holds halfway up the stall wall after that to make the stalls "safe" :roll:

Ya people laugh...until something happens.

I was in a meeting with a safety coordinator and some of our top management. Our phone system made us dial 9 before local calls and 81 before long distance.

Stupid me asks the question - In an emergency when someone is hurt...do we dial 9-911 or just 911?
Slimy management/sales type says - Oh hal, you're such a funny guy. Always with the jokes...

Safety coordinator says - Actually it's a good question where seconds count and people may be panicking. What's the right answer Slimy Sales Rep guy?

Guy got it wrong :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Ya people laugh...until something happens.

I was in a meeting with a safety coordinator and some of our top management. Our phone system made us dial 9 before local calls and 81 before long distance.

Stupid me asks the question - In an emergency when someone is hurt...do we dial 9-911 or just 911?
Slimy management/sales type says - Oh hal, you're such a funny guy. Always with the jokes...

Safety coordinator says - Actually it's a good question where seconds count and people may be panicking. What's the right answer Slimy Sales Rep guy?

Guy got it wrong :dance:

Point for Hal! :cheers:

I love it when you can stick it to some smug person that thinks they're better than everyone else :lol:

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Except that time I blew out the dummy's lung and broke his upper torso making a point to the CPR instructor :oops:

He had to be retired from service :(

Teh One Who Knocks
02-26-2019, 08:31 PM
:suspect:

Hal-9000
02-26-2019, 08:43 PM
She said to use full force on the dummy, 'there's no way you can hurt it' and I asked won't that hurt the person?

She replied you may break some ribs but at least the person will be alive. I disagreed and said it didn't seem right to force bone shards into someone's lungs trying to help them. She then said - You won't hurt the dummy, just do it! :x

I did my compressions...somewhat vigorously and the lung was made out of cheap plastic and it turns out so was his chest cavity :lol:

Pony
02-28-2019, 05:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zO5DLmw.jpg

Godfather
02-28-2019, 07:42 AM
I use wet wipes + TP. I hear it's ruthless for sewage systems but honestly I feel like a savage wiping with TP alone.... it's like trying to clean peanut butter out of a shag carpet.

Hal-9000
02-28-2019, 04:32 PM
I use wet wipes + TP. I hear it's ruthless for sewage systems but honestly I feel like a savage wiping with TP alone.... it's like trying to clean peanut butter out of a shag carpet.

Well there goes breakfast you fucker :puke: