PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden

PorkChopSandwiches
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.treehugger.com/with-mulch-4.jpg

It just doesn't get more ridiculous than this.

Julie Bass of Oak Park, Michigan -- a mother of 6, law-abiding citizen, and gardener -- is facing 93 days in jail after being charged with a misdemeanor.

Her crime? Planting a vegetable garden in the front yard.
Bass says that she planted the garden after her front yard was torn up for some sewer repairs. Rather than wasting the opportunity to start with a clean slate by planting a lawn, she decided to really put the area to use, and plant a vegetable garden.

Her garden consists of 5 raised beds, where she grows a mix of squashes, corn, tomatoes, flowers, and other veggies. Bass received a warning from the city telling her to remove the vegetable garden, because it doesn't adhere to city ordinances (more on that later.) When she refused, she was ticketed and charged with a misdemeanor. Her trial, before a jury, is set to begin on July 26th. If she is found guilty, she can be sentenced to up to 93 days in jail.

About the City Ordinance

Supposedly, Bass is in noncompliance with a city ordinance that states that only "suitable" plant material is allowed on the lawn area of residences. When local media asked city planner Kevin Rulkowski what that meant, he said suitable means "common:" lawn, nice shrubs, and flowers. However, the city ordinance does not specifically state that those are the only allowed plant materials.

About Oak Park

This is not some gated community with HOA regulations. This is an ordinary, working class neighborhood in Oakland County, Michigan. Like nearly every other city in my home state right now, Oak Park is facing financial issues. Here at home, people are amazed that a cash-strapped city has the resources to investigate, charge, and prosecute a resident for something as innocuous as planting a vegetable garden.

What's Being Done

This story is gaining traction all over the web. Gawker covered it this morning. There are Facebook pages devoted to supporting Mrs. Bass and her family during this ordeal. Will social media help change the city's mind? That's what many of us are hoping. Local television affiliates for ABC and Fox news have already covered the story, and media attention continues to grow.

Muddy
07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Plant that shit in your backyard.. wtf? :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a car planted in my front yard.

Muddy
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I have some grass...

MrsM
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
93 days in jail - that's crazy.

pepo
07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
just grow some weed in the backyard and take it e-z, lady!!!!

minz
07-12-2011, 06:32 PM
How ridiculous, surely the state doesn’t have a leg to stand on if they can’t even say what is acceptable and what isn’t, "common" plants is open to interpretation, I hope she kicks their arse.

Acid Trip
07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
It's her property and the ordinance is too vague to use against her. The city is going to lose big time.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Nearly all vegetables should be outlawed anyways, so I'm 100% with the city on this one :tup:

Hal-9000
07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
It's her property and the ordinance is too vague to use against her. The city is going to lose big time.

She bought the home and the property.She's growing legal herbiculture..I agree, the city should lose and piss off

redred
07-12-2011, 07:42 PM
i have to keep mine in the back garden ,the little shites round here would nick all the veg off it and dogs would piss on them

Muddy
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
*pees on reds bushes*

FBD
07-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Perhaps the government just feels the need to have its ring kissed, some monies confiscated taxes paid, and then it'll be happy.

JoeyB
07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a car planted in my front yard.

Are you a redneck?

Perhaps the government just feels the need to have its ring kissed, some monies confiscated taxes paid, and then it'll be happy.

This could be it. Some communities when cash strapped become very vigilant about finding and tapping 'alternate revenue streams'. There is a town called Romeoville near where I grew up, in fact I went to high school there. In the nineties the town was nearly broke and having a huge financial crisis. So, and this was an unofficial policy obviously, but the cops were told to ticket everyone, for anything. Money money money. A small stretch of highway ran through Romeoville and day or night they cops would be out there looking for anyone to pull over and ticket. No warnings, no common sense or kindness. It was ruthless.

RBP probably remembers this era as well.

Nowadays, due to ever expanding Chicago suburban growth, Romeoville is an up and coming community with fast rising property values.

Yt Trash
07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Update...

(NaturalNews) This is a breaking news update: Michigan gardener Julie Bass has confirmed with NaturalNews that all charges have been dismissed in her case, including the two misdemeanor dog licensing charges the city threatened her with after dropping her "illegal gardening" charge.

I just spoke with Julie and recorded a 20 minute interview that will be posted tomorrow here on NaturalNews. In that interview, Julie explained that she plans to continue growing her garden, and now even others in Oak Park, Michigan have decided to grow a few nice-looking food plants (peppers, zucchini, etc.) in their own yards in order to help reduce their food bills while increasing their own local food security.

Julie also explained that it was the power of the alternative media that really helped her bring scrutiny to the city planner's office and ultimately get the charges dropped. So this is a national health freedom victory of the People versus Big Government. Both Julie and NaturalNews thank all the NaturalNews readers who took action to apply pressure to the Oak Park, Michigan city administrators.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033175_Julie_Bass_Oak_Park.html#ixzz1TaXppGQ7

AntZ
07-30-2011, 12:13 PM
This was a close call, but I wonder how many other people out there are being charged with the same frivolous attempts to extort money?

Like the story I posted a few months ago about the church that trimmed it's trees like it had for years, only now they broke the law and were being fined because they didn't trim them in the "approved" way! :roll: