PDA

View Full Version : Justin Trudeau refuses to resign over claims officials interfered in bribery prosecution

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Leyland Cecco in Toronto - The Guardian

https://i.imgur.com/mjMiJ2K.jpg

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau has rejected calls to resign over a scandal that is engulfing his administration, saying he and his staff always acted properly and that Canadians will get to have their say on the matter at the federal election in October.

His comments came after Canada’s former minister of justice and attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould described a consistent, sustained and inappropriate effort by senior officials close to the prime minister who were attempting to dissuade her from prosecuting a Canadian engineering company accused of bribery.

In searing testimony to the justice committee on Wednesday, Wilson-Raybould said the pressure on her included “veiled threats” if she did not acquiesce.

“I experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in my role as the attorney general of Canada in an inappropriate effort,” she said in her opening statement.

Wilson-Raybould’s appearance before the committee marked her first public comments on the scandal, which has become the biggest crisis of Trudeau’s administration.
The pioneering ex-minister at the centre of a Canadian scandal
Read more

In early February, the Globe and Mail reported that aides close to the prime minister had lobbied Wilson-Raybould to abandon plans to prosecute Quebec-based engineering company SNC Lavalin over accusations of fraud and bribery. Instead, they requested she pursue a “deferred prosecution agreement”, which allowed the company to pay a fine.

Wilson-Raybould said she was “barraged” and subjected to “hounding” by members of the government. According to contemporaneous notes taken after each interaction, Wilson-Raybould recalled 10 phone calls and 10 meetings regarding the case.

Wilson-Raybould also detailed a meeting with Trudeau, in which the prime minister said that – as a member of parliament from Quebec – he was concerned by the issue of SNC Lavalin jobs in the province, and asked her to “help out” with the case.

“Are you politically interfering with my role as attorney general? I would strongly advise against it,” Wilson-Raybould recalled telling the prime minister.

“No, no, no, we just need to find a solution,” she said, recalling the prime minister’s answer.

On Wednesday night, Trudeau said it had been a “difficult few weeks” because of internal disagreements in his party, but rejected opposition calls to resign. He said he completely disagreed with Wilson-Raybould, saying that the decision to avoid prosecuting SNC-Lavalin was hers and hers alone.

Wilson-Raybould also described a conversation with the government’s top civil servant, Michael Wernick, who advised her the prime minister wanted to “find a way to get it done, one way or another.

She characterized the discussions as “treading on dangerous ground”. Last week, Wernick told the same committee that no improper pressure was applied to Wilson-Raybould.

Trudeau’s government has been on the defensive since the Globe and Mail newspaper reported on 7 February that Trudeau or his staff pressured her to try to avoid a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin over allegations of corruption involving government contracts in Libya.

Wilson-Raybould refused to abandon the prosecution, and four months later, she was abruptly demoted to the position of veteran affairs minister – a move which she saw as a direct consequence.

“I can’t help but think this ha[d] something to do with a decision I would not take,” she told the committee.

Following her demotion, she had “thoughts of the Saturday Night Massacre,” Wilson-Raybould testified, in a reference to Richard Nixon’s purge of US justice department officials during the Watergate scandal.

Under growing pressure, Trudeau denied that his office had “directed” Wilson-Raybould, and said her presence in his cabinet was proof of their amicable relationship. She resigned hours later and retained the former supreme court justice Thomas Cromwell as her counsel.
Justin Trudeau’s image of transparency threatened by scandal
Read more

Opinion polls show the allegations are starting to hurt the Liberals ahead of what looks set to be a tightly contested federal election against the official opposition Conservative party in October.

Opposition lawmakers accuse Trudeau of trying to cover up an attempt by officials to help SNC-Lavalin, which could be banned from bidding for federal contracts for a decade if found guilty.

“Justin Trudeau can no longer hide the fact that he was at the center of an attempt to interfere in a criminal prosecution. He must come clean with Canadians,” Conservative leader Andrew Scheer said on Wednesday before the testimony.

Scheer called on Trudeau to stand down and demanded a police inquiry.

“He can no longer, with a clear conscience, continue to lead this nation,” he said.

The scandal has already cost Trudeau his closest adviser: Gerald Butts resigned earlier this month, but denied he had or others had improperly pressured Wilson-Raybould.

“What I hear today should make Canadians upset,” Murray Rankin, a member of the New Democratic party, told Wilson-Raybould during the committee hearing.

Wilson-Raybould was granted a partial waiver of solicitor-client privilege in order to testify on Wednesday, but remains unable to speak about the content of her communications with Trudeau.

Wilson-Raybould, a Kwakwaka’wakw lawyer from British Columbia, was Canada’s first indigenous attorney general, and her inclusion in the cabinet was initially seen as proof of Trudeau’s attempt to reset its relationship with indigenous peoples.

“I was taught to always hold true to your core values, principles and to act with integrity,” said Wilson-Raybould at the conclusion of her statement. “I come from a long line of matriarchs and I am a truth-teller in accordance with the laws and traditions of our big house. This is who I am and who I always will be.”

Hal-9000
02-28-2019, 04:30 PM
I saw GF's post on this and listened to her statement. Not sure how important or criminal the interactions were. Seemed to me that Trudeau just commented to her this could affect jobs and people, are we sure we need to do that? I may be missing the bigger picture :oops:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-28-2019, 04:34 PM
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/NDP-leader-Jagmeet-Singh-won-a-seat-in-Canada-s-parliament-this-week-1758459.jpg?r=1551338129915

Hal-9000
02-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Singh a song! :face:

Godfather
03-01-2019, 04:48 AM
I saw GF's post on this and listened to her statement. Not sure how important or criminal the interactions were. Seemed to me that Trudeau just commented to her this could affect jobs and people, are we sure we need to do that? I may be missing the bigger picture :oops:

Respectfully I think you may be overlooking the big picture. We're talking about a Prime Minister and his party, pushing the country's attorney-general not to prosecute a private corporation because he (the PM) has skin in the game. Perhaps his primary intention was to save jobs which is noble and I don't want to see SNC fail or be subject to a hostile foreign take over... but that doesn't make it legal to interfere with the system of justice, it's still corruption, and SNC is shady. The bottom line is that our justice system must be completely and totally free of political interference and I'm inclined to believe in this case that it was absolutely not.

DemonGeminiX
03-01-2019, 07:26 AM
The bottom line is that our justice system must be completely and totally free of political interference and I'm inclined to believe in this case that it was absolutely not.

Spoken like a true American. :tup:

lost in melb.
03-01-2019, 07:58 AM
For those that don't know:

SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. is a Montreal-based company that provides engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services in various industries including; mining and metallurgy, oil and gas, environment and water, infrastructure, and clean power. The firm has 50,000 employees worldwide with offices in over 50 countries and operations in over 160 countries.[2]

Hal-9000
03-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Respectfully I think you may be overlooking the big picture. We're talking about a Prime Minister and his party, pushing the country's attorney-general not to prosecute a private corporation because he (the PM) has skin in the game. Perhaps his primary intention was to save jobs which is noble and I don't want to see SNC fail or be subject to a hostile foreign take over... but that doesn't make it legal to interfere with the system of justice, it's still corruption, and SNC is shady. The bottom line is that our justice system must be completely and totally free of political interference and I'm inclined to believe in this case that it was absolutely not.

I haven't been following it at all other than hearing the statements. If he's invested in Lavalin yes that's a damning decision he's made. You would think he knows Jody at least decently well and what her character would be (lawyer, then attorney general).

I'm wondering how much of this may be a personal issue vs a legal one. If she's a true whistle blower then I agree with you. We don't need our political leaders twisting up the law and it's time to get someone new.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2019, 04:36 PM
I haven't been following it at all other than hearing the statements. If he's invested in Lavalin yes that's a damning decision he's made. You would think he knows Jody at least decently well and what her character would be (lawyer, then attorney general).

I'm wondering how much of this may be a personal issue vs a legal one. If she's a true whistle blower then I agree with you. We don't need our political leaders twisting up the law and it's time to get someone new.

https://i.imgur.com/ehtAOXN.jpg

:thumbsup:

Hal-9000
03-01-2019, 04:38 PM
He was recently on Big Bang Theory on a relatively funny episode.

DemonGeminiX
03-01-2019, 07:28 PM
If you guys actually elected Shatner to be your next Prime Minister, I would consider moving to Canada for a minute or two, think twice about it, then, from time to time for the rest of my life, reminisce about the time I was tempted to move to Canada for a minute or two.

Hal-9000
03-02-2019, 05:47 PM
If you guys actually elected Shatner to be your next Prime Minister, I would consider moving to Canada for a minute or two, think twice about it, then, from time to time for the rest of my life, reminisce about the time I was tempted to move to Canada for a minute or two.

You'd have to get used to the 30% increase in prices from everything from electronics to food to cars to homes. And also living with people who are actually kind and generous to each other :lol:

You're right, stay down there man and enjoy :thumbsup: The weather up here would kill you if you consider a 65F day with rain cold. Same way too many 90F days would melt my fat ass into ice cream.

DemonGeminiX
03-02-2019, 06:05 PM
You'd have to get used to the 30% increase in prices from everything from electronics to food to cars to homes. And also living with people who are actually kind and generous to each other :lol:

You're right, stay down there man and enjoy :thumbsup: The weather up here would kill you if you consider a 65F day with rain cold. Same way too many 90F days would melt my fat ass into ice cream.

30% increase? Before or after the exchange rate?

My uncle bought me a Band of Gypsies CD in Toronto back in the 90s and told me he paid $26 Canadian for it. At the time I think that was like $35 in US money. Not but 2 weeks later I saw one in Walmart for like $15. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

I can handle cold, say the cold of Pennsylvania/New York/NJ. Hell, I grew up in it. You're right, I don't think I could handle your level of cold. That's just nuts.

People in the South are ridiculously nice and kind. It's the kind of nice that keeps you on guard. You're always waiting for them to turn on you, because when people are that nice up North where I grew up, there's always a catch. Either they just want something from you and are gonna go back to treating you like shit when they get it, or you pissed them off in some way you hadn't thought of and 3 of their friends are waiting behind the dumpster around the corner to jump your ass. I don't have a very good opinion of people up North. But that shit never happens down here.

But still, being able to say "The original Captain Kirk is/was my Prime Minister", that would be cool as all hell. Listening to him deliver an address in his pausy stutter Shatner style would be entertaining. "The markets... are... doing... well... Employment... is... up... Crime... is... way down..."

And oh yeah, I said before many times and I'll say it here one more time: Canadian chicks are hot.

Hal-9000
03-02-2019, 06:18 PM
30% increase? Before or after the exchange rate?

My uncle bought me a Band of Gypsies CD in Toronto back in the 90s and told me he paid $26 Canadian for it. At the time I think that was like $35 in US money. Not but 2 weeks later I saw one in Walmart for like $15. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

I can handle cold, say the cold of Pennsylvania/New York/NJ. Hell, I grew up in it. You're right, I don't think I could handle your level of cold. That's just nuts.

People in the South are ridiculously nice and kind. It's the kind of nice that keeps you on guard. You're always waiting for them to turn on you, because when people are that nice up North where I grew up, there's always a catch. Either they just want something from you and are gonna go back to treating you like shit when they get it, or you pissed them off in some way you hadn't thought of and 3 of their friends are waiting behind the dumpster around the corner to jump your ass. I don't have a very good opinion of people up North. But that shit never happens down here.

But still, being able to say "The original Captain Kirk is/was my Prime Minister", that would be cool as all hell. Listening to him deliver an address in his pausy stutter Shatner style would be entertaining. "The markets... are... doing... well... Employment... is... up... Crime... is... way down..."

And oh yeah, I said before many times and I'll say it here one more time: Canadian chicks are hot.

I remember years back people driving down to Spokane or places in Montana on the weekends just to buy things. Fill the car up with clothes, records, appliances etc. No matter what the exchange rate our cost of living for pretty much everything has been higher since I can remember.

Our weather has gotten worse, but it's more unpredictable than anything. We enjoy the rep of "Don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes." I was painting a fence during May one year and it was hot enough for me to get sunburned shoulders. Then the temp dropped 30 degrees and it snowed that evening :lol:

I distinctly recall have four separate, almost postcard-like seasons. Now it's summer, then it snows a lot, then it melts :lol: And you're right. Last summer we set a heat record reaching over 37C or 98.6F I called it the body temperature day :) I went out in the backyard and my first thought was - I'm glad I don't have to work in this.

I could list a bunch of observed differences between the two countries but it's like anything. We all have our nutcases and extreme people. Someone on the net was surprised to find how many Canadians are online and spend a large amount of their free time on phones or pc's. Ya think??? :lol: We live in large, open spaces and it's generally more cold than warm for six months of the year. What else are people going to do.

I generally fear all Americans just reading the news stories Lance posts :lol: The hills some of those people choose to die on are amazing.