PDA

View Full Version : UNLV hosts feminist 'edit-a-thon' on Wikipedia

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Jesse Stiller, New Jersey Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

https://i.imgur.com/HyRUMVQl.jpg

A Nevada university is planning to host a Wikipedia “Edit-a-Thon” on March 27 in order to “close the gender gap” and improve the representation of women and nonbinary racial minority artists.

The University of Nevada at Las Vegas is planning on hosting its annual “Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon.” Attendees will focus on adding or editing Wikipedia pages pertaining to women and people that identify as non-binary.

“Join our effort to contribute to Art + Feminism’s campaign to improve coverage of cis and transgender women, non-binary folks, feminism, and the arts on Wikipedia,” according to the event’s event page.

UNLV is inviting not only students to attend, but also faculty, staff, and even the community.

This is not the first time UNLV has hosted an “ Art+Feminism Edit-a-thon” on Wikipedia. The school has hosted the event annually since 2016. Participants signed up via a “meetup” page that introduced them to goals about the event, as well as a detailed tutorial on how to edit and create pages.

According to the meetup page, some goals of the event included “To improve a selection of Wikipedia articles related to women artists, critics, dealers, and other women in the visual arts, as well as feminists and feminism.”

Campus Reform reached out to UNLV for additional info about the event but did not receive a response in time for publication.

Art + Feminism, the group running the event, will not only be hosting a Las Vegas- centered event, according to its website. Similar edit-a-thons will also be occurring at universities all over the world, including Transylvania University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, and more than a hundred others.

“Why are we here? We’re here because less than 10% of editors on Wikipedia are women,” the group says on its site. The group has hosted annual edit-a-thons since 2013.

Goofy
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
:yawn:

Hal-9000
02-28-2019, 04:25 PM
"We’re here because less than 10% of editors on Wikipedia are women"

Oh great I can see it now -

First woman steps on the moon in 1969!

Woman invents electricity!

Woman beats Muhammad Ali in 15 round stunner!

:| leave things alone pls

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Oh great I can see it now -

First woman steps on the moon in 1969!

Woman invents electricity!

Woman beats Muhammad Ali in 15 round stunner!

:| leave things alone pls

:patriarchy:

Pony
02-28-2019, 04:46 PM
I'm sure 100% of the edits will be factually accurate and have nothing at all to do with how they feel.

Hal-9000
02-28-2019, 04:53 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 05:33 PM
I'm sure 100% of the edits will be factually accurate and have nothing at all to do with how they feel.

There's a reason almost all high schools, colleges, and universities don't allow Wiki to be used as a cited source when doing research.

Godfather
03-01-2019, 07:19 AM

There was a recent news article on a guy with 3 million wiki edits. If women feel left out from the wonderful, unpaid, thankless life is as a Wiki editor they can fill their boots...

https://pics.awwmemes.com/this-man-is-steven-pruitt-he-has-written-35-000-original-41209880.png