PDA

View Full Version : Climate alarmists should cool off about the warm weather

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 12:55 PM
George Harrison - spiked

https://i.imgur.com/4i8Vv1a.jpg

It goes without saying that the normal reaction to unseasonably warm weather is to leg it to the nearest beer garden and have a pint. But while us reasonable folk in Britain have been busy enjoying the warm spell, the climate alarmists have all gone into meltdown.

Green Party MP Caroline Lucas has already used the weather as an excuse to wheel out the old clichés about global warming being the greatest threat to our species. ‘We shouldn’t be enjoying a heatwave in February’, reads the breathless headline on her article for the Independent. ‘This is what climate breakdown feels like’, she says. In the Guardian, journalist Jonn Elledge asks: ‘Am I the only one who’s terrified about the warm weather?’

It is true that it was a first when temperatures topped 20 degrees centigrade this week. We’ve now had the warmest February day on record. But that is only alarming until you consider that the previous hottest February day came in 1998 – over 21 years ago.

The inconvenient truth for the green lobby is that the current unseasonal spell of warm weather is just that: weather. The Met Office has already said the cause of the current hot spell is a high-pressure front dragging warm air over from Africa, not global warming. And yet the same alarmists who claim that unseasonal cold spells can’t be taken as proof that global warming isn’t real are now asserting that the current warm spell proves beyond all doubt that we’re heading for the end of the world.

The Earth’s temperature does seem to be increasing, and there’s no use denying that. However, the current rise is likely to just be part of the uncontrollable natural cycle of heating and cooling which the planet has always endured. It is also true that a small amount of this temperature increase is likely to be caused by human activities, although the extent to which global warming is man-made remains disputed.

What’s missing in our discussion of climate change and environmental issues is an acknowledgement of the trade-off between human progress and environmental damage. Millions of people in the global South have been lifted out of poverty in the past few decades largely because of cheap and readily available fossil fuels – the same fossil fuels the green lobby would gladly see banned. With 10 per cent of human beings still living in extreme poverty, more fossil fuels will need to burn before everyone can enjoy the living standards and modern comforts we in the West have grown so accustomed to.

So when eco-warriors talk about clamping down on cheap fossil fuels, or reducing global greenhouse gas emissions, they know this will also mean clamping down on development. It is clear that to many of the staunchest environmentalists, economic growth is not something to be celebrated, but something to be managed, and where possible restricted, because of the environmental repercussions it can have. This is why environmentalism is so trendy among the anti-capitalist movement that is currently flourishing on Twitter and within the Labour Party. Never mind that many of the solutions to today’s environmental problems are likely to be technological anyway – meaning that more economic growth, not less, is our best bet for a cleaner and greener future.

Either way, this week’s lovely weather is not worth worrying about. The bottom line is that one February hot spell does not mean the world is dying, and climate alarmists would be better off if they dropped the doom-mongering and just enjoyed the sun like the rest of us. This is Britain, after all, and the rain is guaranteed to be back in no time.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-28-2019, 04:59 PM
:hills:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2019, 05:32 PM
And yet the same alarmists who claim that unseasonal cold spells can’t be taken as proof that global warming isn’t real are now asserting that the current warm spell proves beyond all doubt that we’re heading for the end of the world.

This is one of my biggest complaints about climate change fear mongers. If it's cold, it's just cold, even if it's record cold. But when it's hot, dammit, that's climate change!

KevinD
02-28-2019, 11:04 PM
I remember when I was younger, the doom and gloom wackos were all about "the coming ice age"

Griffin
02-28-2019, 11:49 PM
I remember when I was younger, the doom and gloom wackos were all about "the coming ice age"

ahhh yes... the dinosaurs

Godfather
03-01-2019, 04:38 AM
This is one of my biggest complaints about climate change fear mongers. If it's cold, it's just cold, even if it's record cold. But when it's hot, dammit, that's climate change!

The science on this doesn't say climate change is just going to cause hot weather event, that's why generally the term 'global warming' has been subbed out for 'climate change.' It's going to cause more extremes, hot and cold, wind, rain, droughts, fires and floods.

The deniers say 'look it's a record cold, it's snowing, the alarmists are wrong', the alarmists see any wild weather event and say 'look we've doomed the climate.' I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I'm personally on the side of the vast majority of scientists who say we are altering the climate and the oceans, and need to make changes.

lost in melb.
03-01-2019, 07:19 AM
During the times that the US has has peak cold the rest of the planet was much hotter than normal. An island of blue in a sea of red. Anyone who says the climate isn't changing significantly over the last decade or two simply doesn't want to see it - most likely due to the politicisation of the issue by the Green.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Winter storms don't prove that global warming isn't happening. <a href="https://t.co/LDqfq4JH9n">https://t.co/LDqfq4JH9n</a> <a href="https://t.co/ndmLD637Cb">pic.twitter.com/ndmLD637Cb</a></p>&mdash; NOAA Climate.gov (@NOAAClimate) <a href="https://twitter.com/NOAAClimate/status/1090263390503596032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lost in melb.
03-01-2019, 07:25 AM
2018-19 season tops temperature highs across the country, exceeding previous record set six years ago.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBUbvr4.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f&f=jpg

Australia has endured its hottest summer ever, according to the Bureau of Meteorology, breaking the previous record set six years ago.

The 2018-19 summer, which produced near 50C days and topped temperature highs across the country, has officially exceeded the previous record set in 2012-13, which was 1.28C above what is considered normal. Climate analysts say it falls into a pattern of human-induced global warming.

January alone had already been confirmed as the hottest month ever recorded in Australia, with a mean temperature across the nation of 30.8C, which was 2.9C above the average for January temperatures (calculated between 1961–1990) of 27.9C.

Floods, fire and drought: Australia, a country in the grip of extreme weather bingo
Read more
On Thursday, the BoM revealed the whole season was officially the hottest ever recorded.

While exact figures are not yet confirmed, the bureau said this summer’s mean temperature was at least 2C above the 27.5C benchmark of what is considered normal, based on 1961-1990.

“Summer has been our warmest summer on record in terms of maximum temperatures, in terms of minimum temperatures and in terms of mean temperatures,” said Andrew Watkins, the BoM’s manager of long-range forecasting.

The statistics will come as no surprise to Australians who sweltered through back-to-back heatwaves and battled bushfires across the country.

In January alone, Adelaide broke its all-time heat record with a 46.6C day, Port Augusta broke its record with 48.9C, and then broke it again with 49.5C a week later.

The small New South Wales town of Noona also broke the record for the highest overnight minimum ever recorded, with a night that never dropped below 39.5C. And in Cloncurry in Queensland, residents endured 43 days in a row over 40C, Watkins said.

This summer’s extreme temperatures had been predicted since late last year, with the BoM’s climate outlook forecasting a drier, hotter summer due to the El Niño weather event, a positive Indian Ocean Dipole and the effect of global warming.

The “long-term increasing trend in global air and ocean temperatures” was a factor in the hotter-than-average summer, the report said in October.

On Thursday, the BoM also updated its outlook for the coming autumn, saying there were “very high odds” that hot, dry conditions would continue.

Watkins warned that while some high rainfall events could occur, it would largely be bad news for drought-stricken farmers. “I wish we had better news than that,” he said.

Also on Thursday, Victorian health authorities warned of a late summer heatwave that would bring 40C temperatures on Saturday.

The bureau has forecast a heatwave across most of Victoria over the weekend, and Victoria’s chief health officer issued a health alert for parts of the state from Thursday to Saturday.

Pregnant women, the elderly, children and people with medical conditions have been warned to take care.

Victoria’s emergency management commissioner, Andrew Crisp, also warned there was a high fire risk, peaking at a severe fire danger rating in parts on Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/28/australia-breaks-weather-records-with-hottest-ever-summer

KevinD
03-01-2019, 10:37 PM
I dont think I've ever said the climate isn't changing. Pretty sure I'm on record as saying it's not man made. I (with my admittedly non scientific brain) subscribe to the theory that climate change has to do with the output of the sun, our earth's variable orbit, and the changing rotation of the Earth itself. To my mind, the papers I've read dealing with this make the most sense. That said, does mankind have an effect on the earth? Absolutely. Has man changed the climate? Nah, not near as much as some other "natural" occurrences, ala massive volcanoes, changing tidal currents (again, related to solar output, earth/moon relationships, etc) mankind is a zit on the face of the earth. Nothing more.

Hal-9000
03-02-2019, 05:43 PM
The science on this doesn't say climate change is just going to cause hot weather event, that's why generally the term 'global warming' has been subbed out for 'climate change.' It's going to cause more extremes, hot and cold, wind, rain, droughts, fires and floods.

The deniers say 'look it's a record cold, it's snowing, the alarmists are wrong', the alarmists see any wild weather event and say 'look we've doomed the climate.' I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I'm personally on the side of the vast majority of scientists who say we are altering the climate and the oceans, and need to make changes.

Yes you can't say humans haven't affected the climate. It's a cycle based on levels of oxygen and co2 in the atmosphere. More people, less greenspace, more cement and elements being put into the air and water equates to change. More precipitation is one of the side effects and yes, in cold weather climates than means worse winters and storms. The warming effects do melt icebergs and in places like The Maldive Island chain they've tracked the increases yearly. No joke, that place will be underwater in a few decades.

lost in melb.
03-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Yes you can't say humans haven't affected the climate. It's a cycle based on levels of oxygen and co2 in the atmosphere. More people, less greenspace, more cement and elements being put into the air and water equates to change. More precipitation is one of the side effects and yes, in cold weather climates than means worse winters and storms. The warming effects do melt icebergs and in places like The Maldive Island chain they've tracked the increases yearly. No joke, that place will be underwater in a few decades.

C02 aside they are saying if all roofs were painted white it would significantly cool the Earth... Just as an example

Hal-9000
03-03-2019, 04:35 PM
C02 aside they are saying if all roofs were painted white it would significantly cool the Earth... Just as an example

I saw a TV segment about the loss of certain types of cloud cover due to co2 and other greenhouse gases. Clouds protect the Earth from the sun and becoming too hot. It's just a matter of degree (pun intended) and with all of the exhaust from vehicles and industry going into our atmosphere, that causes change. A permanent change of just a few degrees either way can be devastating for the planet.