PDA

View Full Version : AOC calls Afghanistan war 'disastrous + wrong' response to 9/11, says US should have tried 'non-intervention'

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2019, 11:27 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/PBhQemZ.jpg

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez faced criticism this week after writing that the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan to combat Al-Qaeda in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks was “disastrous” and “wrong,” and asserting that “non-intervention” should have been tried instead.

The New York Democrat, who’s been mostly silent on foreign policy since taking office in January, fired off a number of tweets Monday in a bid to defend her embattled ally, U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., over some recent comments that have been perceived as anti-Semitic and for questioning the U.S.-Israel alliance.

“I remember a time when it was `unacceptable’ to question the Iraq War,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote, before correcting that she meant the Afghanistan War. “All of Congress was wrong, including both GOP & Dem Party, and led my generation into a disastrous + wrong war that all would come to regret, except for the one who member who stood up: Barbara Lee.”

She added that the U.S. should have stayed out of Iraq as well, and that “we should end the AUMF [Authorization for the Use of Military Force] now while we’re at it.”

Her comments quickly drew criticism from a fellow New York Democrat, U.S. Rep. Max Rose, who fought in Afghanistan and received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

“I believe it's long past time we end the war in Afghanistan," Rose told the New York Daily News, "but I strongly disagree with the idea that the invasion was wrong on moral or national security grounds.

“After our city and country were attacked we were very clear with the Taliban — either they give up Usama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, or we would come and get them ourselves,” he added. “They chose to protect Usama bin Laden, and they rightfully paid the price.”

After facing questions over her description of the war in Afghanistan, a country that harbored Al Qaeda, Ocasio-Cortez doubled-down on her comments and suggested the U.S. should have taken alternative measures such as “non-intervention.”

“I think that our decision to enter unlimited engagement in Afghanistan, particularly through AUMF+Congress’ abdication of power+decision-making w/passage of the AUMF, was a mistake,” she wrote.

“Other options: targeting the network itself, limited engagement itself, limited engagement, non-intervention,” she added.

But Ocasio-Cortez’s description of the war was unlikely to be endorsed even by the most prominent anti-interventionist members of the U.S. Senate – Rand Paul of Kentucky and Tom Udall of New Mexico – who introduced a bill Tuesday to end the war in Afghanistan while thanking the military for its service.

The bill calls for the U.S. to declare victory in Afghanistan and create a 45-day deadline for drafting a plan for total troop withdrawal within a year.

Following the withdrawal, the AUMF also would be repealed, while more than 3 million military service members who served in Afghanistan would get a $2,500 thank-you bonus.

“Endless war weakens our national security, robs this and future generations through skyrocketing debt, and creates more enemies to threaten us,” Paul said in the statement.

“For over 17 years, our soldiers have gone above and beyond what has been asked of them in Afghanistan,” he added. "It is time to declare the victory we achieved long ago, bring them home, and put America’s needs first.”

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Her comments quickly drew criticism from a fellow New York Democrat, U.S. Rep. Max Rose, who fought in Afghanistan and received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.

“I believe it's long past time we end the war in Afghanistan," Rose told the New York Daily News, "but I strongly disagree with the idea that the invasion was wrong on moral or national security grounds.

“After our city and country were attacked we were very clear with the Taliban — either they give up Usama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, or we would come and get them ourselves,” he added. “They chose to protect Usama bin Laden, and they rightfully paid the price.”

Agree 100% with Congressman Rose. The Afghanistan war dragged on for FAR too long, mostly due to having no end game really and for the military being politically handcuffed under the rules of engagement. But, going after Bin Laden, especially after the Taliban were warned to give him up, was the right thing to do. There was no way that we could have let Al Qaeda fester and grow more powerful after 9/11.

lost in melb.
03-06-2019, 11:46 AM
Agree 100% with Congressman Rose. The Afghanistan war dragged on for FAR too long, mostly due to having no end game really and for the military being politically handcuffed under the rules of engagement. But, going after Bin Laden, especially after the Taliban were warned to give him up, was the right thing to do. There was no way that we could have let Al Qaeda fester and grow more powerful after 9/11.

Imagine Al Qaeda now if you ( actually we) hadn't hit hard. It's a nasty country to operate in, but I believe there was no choice but to engage.

Muddy
03-06-2019, 04:11 PM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/PBhQemZ.jpg

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez faced criticism this week after writing that the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan to combat Al-Qaeda in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks was “disastrous” and “wrong,” and asserting that “non-intervention” should have been tried instead.

http://i66.tinypic.com/244bs6h.jpg

fricnjay
03-06-2019, 04:46 PM
I really hope this FEC violation pans out and at least she has to resign :pray:

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 04:54 PM
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright is an excellent book describing how the early terrorist factions formed decades ago.

It's a tough, dry read with hundreds of names and events taking up at least the first third of the book.

Once you get to the 80's, 90's and 2000's however, it becomes riveting.

Perhaps someone should read a picture-book version to AOC. Some may think the US went after the 'wrong' target post 2001, but this book explains how much depth and variety exist within those terrorist networks. One year they side with this faction, next year they morph and change and side with that faction. There is no 'one' umbrella all terrorism falls under.

RBP
03-06-2019, 04:57 PM
I really hope this FEC violation pans out and at least she has to resign :pray:

That's just doing the same thing as the resistance.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2019, 04:57 PM
AOC's idea to deal with terrorism -----------------> :lala:

RBP
03-06-2019, 05:09 PM
AOC's idea to deal with terrorism -----------------> :lala:

Obama said if we just understood them and became friends, everything would be great. :hand:

All we need is more Baracks and Michelles.

“The single most important thing I could do is to help develop the next generation,” he said. The former US president said his nonprofit the Obama Foundation could create a “platform for young, up-and-coming leaders” to exchange information with each other about projects they were working on. “If I could do that effectively, then – you know – I would create a hundred or a thousand or a million young Barack Obamas or Michelle Obamas,” Obama told a conference in Tokyo. “Or, the next group of people who could take that baton in that relay race that is human progress.”

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Obama said if we just understood them and became friends, everything would be great. :hand:

All we need is more Baracks and Michelles.

“The single most important thing I could do is to help develop the next generation,” he said. The former US president said his nonprofit the Obama Foundation could create a “platform for young, up-and-coming leaders” to exchange information with each other about projects they were working on. “If I could do that effectively, then – you know – I would create a hundred or a thousand or a million young Barack Obamas or Michelle Obamas,” Obama told a conference in Tokyo. “Or, the next group of people who could take that baton in that relay race that is human progress.”

Yeah, I saw that story on the Obama's :roll:

I was going to post it, but I couldn't stop throwing up in my mouth a bit every time I read more of it. :puke:

They aren't narcissistic in the least :rolleyes:

fricnjay
03-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I saw that story on the Obama's :roll:

I was going to post it, but I couldn't stop throwing up in my mouth a bit every time I read more of it. :puke:

They aren't narcissistic in the least :rolleyes:

Yea I've never seen 2 people brag about doing so little before. :shrug:

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 06:19 PM
I'm a little Barack :face:

Muddy
03-06-2019, 06:21 PM
If I had a son he would look just like Hal..

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 06:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSchxgq8sY

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 06:25 PM

aww what a nice thing to say :oops:

https://i.imgur.com/avUi73e.jpg

Muddy
03-06-2019, 06:32 PM
aww what a nice thing to say :oops:

Do you remember when Obama said that about Trayvon martin?

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 06:36 PM
Do you remember when Obama said that about Trayvon martin?

No and now all the nicety is leaking out of your original statement you bastard :x

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2019, 06:56 PM

https://i.imgur.com/o0yHXcb.jpg

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 07:03 PM
If I had a son he would look just like a sample from a sperm donor because I ain't no baby-daddy

Muddy
03-06-2019, 08:13 PM
No and now all the nicety is leaking out of your original statement you bastard :x

We arent trying to upset Dee up in hurr.. :lol:

Hal-9000
03-06-2019, 08:25 PM
If you were my Dad any good looks I may have received would come from your wife...

stop with the nightmare fuel man, fuck :lol:

Muddy
03-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Brutal..! :lol: