PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Media Now on a Full-Court Press to Boost Captain Marvel

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2019, 01:11 PM
by Brad Slager - Red State

https://i.imgur.com/l8tk3yi.jpg

For weeks now we have been mired in social fallout from actress Brie Larson taking a decidedly activist stance during her PR tour for this weekend’s premiere of “Captain Marvel”. Her efforts to diminish the influence of white male writers has led to a blowback from fans.

There was a quick recognition that Larsson had impacted things, as early projections for the film’s debut was scaled back by tens of millions of dollars. Ever since the studio Disney has been in fierce damage control. They seem to have leveraged the review site Rotten Tomatoes to eliminate the ‘Want To See’ feature from its page, because fans were indication a dropping desire to go see “CM”.

Soon after the studio staged targeted sneak previews with a passel of female reviewers, who were more than likely to deliver positive impressions. Twitter joined in and posted a page in the Entertainment section under its MOMENTS tab that touted all of the advance rave reviews. One feminist even took the bold stance that men should not even attend the film – this despite all of the mewling we had witnessed about men desiring to not see the film.

Now in the homestretch of the release we can see the entertainment press is doing all it can to prop up what is a flagging enterprise. Yesterday, as the review embargo on the film was lifted, the enthusiastic website The Mary Sue detailed that the negative reviews the film was receiving was arriving only from male film critics. This desperate claim was disproven in minutes, as it was shown at least one third of the pans came from female critics.

Not having learned the lesson that targeting the male reviewers is what kicked off this negative wave of feedback for the movie, film writer Alyssa Klein last night proceeded to create a lengthy thread where she listed out the numerous male reviewers from major publications. The purpose to this? In the interest of avoiding mansplaining, I’ll let Alyssa tell us:
The idea that a film with a particular social demographic focus should only be covered by members of said demographic is a very odd stance to take. Films are a subjective art form, and to suggest critics from particular groups are not equipped to review films with a particular focus is drastically reductive. I would bet that Alyssa would have an issue with anyone suggesting that female film critics be told to step away from reviewing male-centric films.

This morning at The Daily Beast was a lengthy screed that detailed much of the supposedly organized outrage, dictating that much of it is arriving from white males and – somehow – incels??? Calmly entitled “How Brie Larson’s ‘Captain Marvel’ Made Angry White Men Lose Their Damn Minds” writer Melissa Leon makes her case not by citing respected and established industry names, nor entertainment journalists, but by compiling opposition from those troll haavens in the comment sections of the web, YouTube videos, and Twitter accounts.

This is held up as proof there is an widespread and organized sabotage efforts, and it is all rooted in toxic masculinity, of course. Describing what she found to be “harassment internet campaigns”, Leon attributes this to what seems obvious to many who ardently support this film — “oversensitive men threatened by blockbuster franchise leads who do not look like them.” But then the writer undermines her claim.

Referring to an active backlash she details, “Distortions of what Larson actually said…in the name of assuming victimhood for “all white man” also fuel a “boycott” of the film that hopes to pit it against another female-fronted action movie, ‘Alita: Battle Angel’.” (This is a James Cameron-produced action film that was released weeks ago.) If these angry white men are reacting negatively to a female character who does not look like them, why would they be running to see a different film — with a female character who does not look like them?!

Of course, the claim of this testosterone-reflex response is also undermined by the reality that was the smash hit “Wonder Woman”, which somehow was never saddled with claims of a toxic backlash. So yes, Larson’s words were the flashpoint for the controversy. Last year she spoke at the Women In Film conference, and we hear this is a regular stance of hers: “I don’t need a 40 year old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about “A wrinkle In Time; It wasn’t made for him!”

What seems to be the case is what we saw take place a few summers ago with the all-female reboot of “Ghostbusters”. After selling us on the estrogen-soaked cast, and not the content of the film, fans resisted. And once there was pushback we saw all manner of social hectoring, leading to the film losing tens of millions for Sony. I wonder if now all of the media push behind the film is not meant to salvage the box office, but to setup the explanation on why it was a disappointment.

After so many female writers invested so much into this title, if it fails to reach the usual heights of Marvel releases they cannot honestly say the content did not favor a wide audience. No, the blame HAS to be lain at the feet of males who simply cannot tolerate female characters! Oh, and the Incels, too.

Goofy
03-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Yawn

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Never followed Captain Marvel in the comics so I'm not up on the powers/origin story etc. Always seemed like a bit of cash grab using the corporate name for a super hero.

And WIF looks like WTF on first glance...:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Cishet white male scum! :x

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Cishet white male scum! :x

I said that in my Sean Connery voice :lol:

Shuck my penish, bitsh.

DemonGeminiX
03-07-2019, 04:35 PM
A white guy on Youtube reviewed it and said it was meh. :lol:

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 04:37 PM
A white guy on Youtube reviewed it and said it was meh. :lol:

Our new super hero....' a white guy '.

:rofl:

DemonGeminiX
03-07-2019, 04:42 PM
:lol:

No really, he was adamant that he was ignoring all the sjw hubbub surrounding it and reviewing it on it's own merits. He gave it a C.

fricnjay
03-07-2019, 06:02 PM
I'll watch it, but I ain't paying for it. ;)

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 07:33 PM

No really, he was adamant that he was ignoring all the sjw hubbub surrounding it and reviewing it on it's own merits. He gave it a C.

Sure, but I need that hero now.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Cishet white male scum in here! :x

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 07:40 PM
:dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 07:40 PM
wow, the beginning of that is like a Mario Bros game :lol:

Hal-9000
03-07-2019, 07:50 PM
Holding Out For A Hero lyrics - by Bonnie Tyler

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life!
Larger than life
Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There's someone reaching back for me
Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It's gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet

And that was less than half the song :rofl:

Watch out Bonnie, they's a comin for you!

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2019, 08:00 PM
:rapeculture:

Griffin
03-07-2019, 08:55 PM
And that was less than half the song :rofl:

Watch out Bonnie, they's a comin for you!

That was back when men were allowed to be men, and women knew how to make a sandwich.

RBP
03-08-2019, 04:10 AM
Why would she sabotage her own film? That has to be an echo-chamber blind spot.

DemonGeminiX
03-08-2019, 04:52 AM
Why would she sabotage her own film? That has to be an echo-chamber blind spot.

Maybe she was asked to do it by the powers that be at Marvel Studios. Maybe they knew they had a subpar film on their hands, one that they knew their normal base wouldn't think very much of. If they ask her to go out and do the SJW thing before the film's released, they can blame any and all bad reviews by men as the Patriarchy trying to hold strong women down, in an effort to deflect from the fact that the movie sucks.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 11:57 AM
James Barrett - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/spOWtKRh.jpg

"All the negative reviews for #CaptainMarvel are from men," feminist website The Mary Sue declared Tuesday as the early reviews began streaming in for Marvel's — as star Brie Larson describes it — "big feminist movie." The declaration was accompanied by a series of tweets by self-styled "film journalist" Alyssa Klein telling male critics to "sit this one out," with the suggestion that a "feminist" movie can only be properly reviewed by women.

"I'm so excited to finally see Marvel's first woman superhero movie," Klein tweeted Tuesday. "I'm less excited about the fact that many of the biggest publications are having men write their #CaptainMarvel reviews." After highlighting/shaming a bunch of reviews by men, Klein offered some advice to male critics: "[I]f you're a male critic reading this thread and you're asked to write a review of #CaptainMarvel for a major publication, consider saying 'You know, I think I should sit this one out and make room for women's voices.'"

While there certainly are more reviews of "Captain Marvel" by men than women — because there are simply far more male reviewers than female reviewers — the suggestion that male reviewers would be biased against the "big feminist" film reveals more about the feminists making the claim than the reviewers. The reality is a good critic should be able to assess a film on its own merits and put aside, at least to some degree, their biases, including any supposed innate gender biases. As evidence that Mary Sue's claim is false and its underlying premise flawed, below are some excerpts from negative reviews of "Captain Marvel" by female critics.

Reeling Reviews' Laura Clifford gives the film a C- and describes Larson's performance as particularly problematic: "...I found the whole film to be a muddle of special effects, disjointed writing and lack of humor. The humor, especially, is built in to the other Marvel films and I wonder why there is nearly none in 'Captain Marvel.' The answer, I think is in the film's star, Brie Larson, as hot-shot fighter pilot and kick ass warrior Carol Danvers. She is OK in the action sequences, which are many, but is too serious an actor for the character. That is a real problem for a hero in a franchise that is known for its mirth. ... It is telling that there are eight credited writers, making this a kitchen sink of clichés."

World's Megan Basham was really turned off by all the "girl-power pandering": "There’s a moment in Captain Marvel where the girl-power pandering is so over the top it makes the rest of the movie pointless. Carol Danvers, aka 'Vers,' finally discovers the full range of her superpowers and, to the never-so-subtle strains of Gwen Stefani’s 'Just a Girl,' proceeds to pummel a battalion of alien bad guys single-handedly. Her abilities prove so dominant that she can seemingly do anything, be it fly to farthest reaches of space without protective gear or destroy intergalactic warheads with a single blow. Thus does the cause of female empowerment lay waste to old-fashioned storytelling notions like tension and surprise, otherwise known as ... reasons for the audience to stay interested in what’s happening on the screen."

Time's Stephanie Zacharek also found all the "girl power" a bit overpowering: "Is anyone else getting tired of role models? I don’t mean real-life people who are doing estimable work every day, like Ruth Bader Ginsburg (although even her recent commodification, through no fault of her own, threatens to flatten some of her dimensions), but virtuous fictional women who are put up before us as a jaunty reminder that 'Girls can do anything!' Girls can do anything and, like all children, young girls can have moments of self-doubt, times when they need reassurance. And there’s no reason we shouldn’t be seeing women superheroes on-screen; Lord knows there are enough guys. But the delivery system matters, too. And while we know that little girls (or boys, for that matter) might not rush out to see an earnest biopic of, say, Harriet Tubman, Eleanor Roosevelt or Margaret Sanger, does our sense of the power and capability of women always have to be filtered through a highly fictionalized superhero universe—as if that were the only way we could possibly bring ourselves to register the value of what women can bring to the table? Words like badass and kick-ass, used to describe women, have been trotted out so often that they’ve come to mean nothing. They tell us little about whether a woman has any sense of judgment or style or true intelligence. The idea is that it’s best just to bash your way through everything, just as so many guys do. That way, no one will ever think of you as weak."

Culteress's Kristen Lopez thought Larson was "marvelous" but her "big feminist" message, not so much: "Strong moments of character development are immediately dashed away for extended fight scenes leaving characters to feel more like archetypes and not actual people. An extended sequence in Louisiana seems drawn from another movie entirely and should have been developed further. This underdevelopment leaves the third act feeling confusing and unearned. It’s hard to fear what we don’t understand. And yet that mantra permeates Captain Marvel in a way that rings truer than the feminist message it wants to be about."

What She Said's Ann Brody wasn't thrilled by the "dark and empty" film: "The problem is the relentless jolts-per-second universe of special effects and endless fights, tech overload and turgid robotic friend/enemy roleplay. The characters display recognisable humanity which is the film’s balance but not often enough or convincingly. There’s something dark and empty in all the fanfare and fuss, and it seems aimed solely at an audience that grew up in video arcades."

Us Weekly's Mara Weinstein gave the not "epic" film a disappointing 2.5 out of 4 stars: "Sometimes when you have sky-high expectations for a film, there’s nowhere to go but down. Even when the focus is a superhero — scratch that, superheroine — that flies. Enter Captain Marvel, the first female to get above-the-title treatment in the Marvel Comic Universe. That is no small deal. Her film, alas, is no epic."

That's certainly not all of the negative reviews; in fact, even the generally positive reviews by female critics emphasized many of the same shortcomings as the critics above, but most gave the film a net positive rating because of its high-octane action, its often spectacular sequences, and Larson's solid (enough) performance.

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 05:06 PM
May not be an accurate comparison but I found it strange so many people were talking about Black Panther getting best film (except the academy..).

I haven't seen it and read some joke about not seeing many white faces throughout the film :lol:

No offense but it's a super hero film and one about a little known/recognized character in the genre.

The world can't put a film like that against other dramas and serious contenders in different genres for best picture, unless it's absolutely spectacular.

Female Captain Marvel just doesn't rev my engine in any way due to the material and the actress they chose to play her :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
03-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Black Panther wasn't half the movie that The Winter Soldier was. Hell, it wasn't even as good as the first Iron Man. Sure, it wasn't bad, per se, but it certainly didn't deserve all of the fawning accolades that the media heaped on it.

The article hammers a point home that echoes my problem with Rey in the new Star Wars trilogy: characters with unlimited power for no fucking reason aside from "look, she's a girl". Ok, she's a girl, and you took that girl and turned her into the single most uninteresting, uncompelling character on the screen. These 'girls' aren't heroes/heroines. Heroes fall, they get back up in the face of insurmountable odds. They have faults. They're not so incredibly powerful that they kick the living shit out of everything in their path. They have to overcome setbacks, they have to learn, they have to grow and change... that's what makes them heroic. That's the archetype. These "girl power" movies are shitting all over the archetype that would endear them to future generations to come.

Muddy
03-08-2019, 05:57 PM
I wonder if Captain marvels pussy gets naturally wet or does she require lube.. ?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Black Panther wasn't half the movie that The Winter Soldier was. Hell, it wasn't even as good as the first Iron Man. Sure, it wasn't bad, per se, but it certainly didn't deserve all of the fawning accolades that the media heaped on it.

The article hammers a point home that echoes my problem with Rey in the new Star Wars trilogy: characters with unlimited power for no fucking reason aside from "look, she's a girl". Ok, she's a girl, and you took that girl and turned her into the single most uninteresting, uncompelling character on the screen. These 'girls' aren't heroes/heroines. Heroes fall, they get back up in the face of insurmountable odds. They have faults. They're not so incredibly powerful that they kick the living shit out of everything in their path. They have to overcome setbacks, they have to learn, they have to grow and change... that's what makes them heroic. That's the archetype. These "girl power" movies are shitting all over the archetype that would endear them to future generations to come.

:triggered:

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 06:49 PM

On a related note if they keep switching out characters just because they want a woman or POC in the role instead, we're going to see this steady dilution and then finally obsolescence of what made the character great in the first place. There's a reason Spider Man is a guy. Because the character was created that way.

Maybe instead of crapping all over every male-written character in history, why not create some new female ones? In life I'm rarely a bigot but I don't need to see a black Superman same way I don't need to see a remake of the Roots mini-series featuring an all-Norweigan cast.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 06:54 PM
On a related note if they keep switching out characters just because they want a woman or POC in the role instead, we're going to see this steady dilution and then finally obsolescence of what made the character great in the first place. There's a reason Spider Man is a guy. Because the character was created that way.

Maybe instead of crapping all over every male-written character in history, why not create some new female ones? In life I'm rarely a bigot but I don't need to see a black Superman same way I don't need to see a remake of the Roots mini-series featuring an all-Norweigan cast.

:patriarchy:

fricnjay
03-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Its gender and racial appropriation and it sucks. The think that made Marvel great was how well they treated the original source material and now they want to fuck it all up for snowflakes.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Spider-man should be a queer black trangender woman :hand:

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 07:06 PM

I haven't watched the new Spiderman cartoon despite rave reviews. One - cartoon, two - he turned black?

It's the actual change that bothers me rather than seeing a black or female actor in the role if that makes sense. It's jarring and takes me out of the moment. Are we supposed to just forget about a 50 year back history because the new-world figures ____ should not be a white male now?

fricnjay
03-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Tell that to Stan Lee and and Steve Ditko. :hand:

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Its gender and racial appropriation and it sucks. The think that made Marvel great was how well they treated the original source material and now they want to fuck it all up for snowflakes.

That's how I feel. If you want superheroes or characters in general to be POC and/or female, create some new ones. They keep going back to the well changing established characters and there's no need for it. Superman was a white guy. Get over it, accept it and move on.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a transphobic Klan meeting going on up in here [-(

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Just how do you identify Lance?

:lol: make it good, I'll wait

fricnjay
03-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Just how do you identify Lance?

:lol: make it good, I'll wait

:popcorn:

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 08:14 PM

I bet he's doing the tuck and putting on his best sports bra.

fricnjay
03-08-2019, 08:25 PM
I bet he's doing the tuck and putting on his best sports bra.

https://i.imgur.com/k9ifum3.jpg

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Silent Bob and Jay still have the best version of that :lol:

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 08:29 PM
The 'OH!' makes me laugh every time :lol:

KINDA NSFW AT THE END:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIZNCk6lz4

Hal-9000
03-08-2019, 08:33 PM
RBP?? :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6i_HEKJgg

Teh One Who Knocks
03-08-2019, 11:12 PM
By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/Ma2LhrSh.jpg

"Captain Marvel" was hit with tens of thousands of audience reviews just hours after the film opened in theaters on Friday, scoring a dismal audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 33%.

"As of 8 a.m., the film had a 33 percent audience score from more than 58,000 reviews," reported The Hollywood Reporter. The outlet credited the low audience rating to "trolls" sandbagging the film, noting that the number of reviews in a matter of mere hours from “Captain Marvel’s” opening is "more than the total of audience score reviews for Avengers: Infinity War for its entire theatrical run."

On mid-day Friday, the audience score peaked to 35%; the critics' score, however, held at a solid 81%.
"Very little to get excited about here as the villain is the best character in the movie. Brie Larson is awfully miscast in the lead role. Thumb up for Mendelsohn and Jackson. As a lead-in to End Game it's both inadequate and unnecessary," reads one review from the site.

Another reviewer wrote, "Wasn't expecting much going in and that's what I got, not much. Brie Larson was a poor choice for the lead. She's just not believable. I was bored all too often watching it."

"A boring and bland story focused on a character with neither personality nor a single weakness," says another post critical of the film.

Rotten Tomatoes recently amended their system to bar the general public from leaving reviews before the film is released. This was apparently an effort to cut back on "trolls" leaving negative reviews.

"We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date," said Rotten Tomatoes, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature, for now, is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have."

While feminists in media invested in the female-driven film's success have claimed that the bad reviews for the film have come at the hands of women-hating male film critics, "Captain Marvel" has taken some heat from female movie critics, too.

For example, as noted by The Daily Wire's James Barrett, a female film critic from Reeling Reviews, Laura Clifford, gave the flick a C- and criticized feminist actress Brie Larson's performance.

"...I found the whole film to be a muddle of special effects, disjointed writing and lack of humor. The humor, especially, is built in to the other Marvel films and I wonder why there is nearly none in 'Captain Marvel.' The answer, I think is in the film's star, Brie Larson, as hot-shot fighter pilot and kick ass warrior Carol Danvers. She is OK in the action sequences, which are many, but is too serious an actor for the character. That is a real problem for a hero in a franchise that is known for its mirth. ... It is telling that there are eight credited writers, making this a kitchen sink of clichés," said Clifford.

Moreover, World's Megan Basham blasted “Captain Marvel” for its "girl-power pandering" and What She Said's Ann Brody described the movie as "dark and empty."

Hal-9000
03-09-2019, 05:50 PM
"The answer, I think is in the film's star, Brie Larson, as hot-shot fighter pilot and kick ass warrior Carol Danvers. She is OK in the action sequences, which are many, but is too serious an actor for the character."

She's gone from the TV show Community to the ultra serious movie Room to Kong:Skull Island. I don't think being 'too serious an actor' is the main problem here. Larson shows great range in her roles. From what I understand it's not written well and the lead role could be considered bland with a few different actresses trying it.

I'm one of the few who didn't hate Assfleck as the Batman character and think Cavill makes a great Superman, but the movie that featured them both was dark, mean, boring and without spoiling...the main plot line came off as absurd. Batman and Superman were that mad at each other because they didn't take five minutes to talk and clear things up? The idea itself could have been interesting (fighting), yet the way it was written made it seem far fetched and confusing.

DemonGeminiX
03-09-2019, 09:52 PM
It always starts with the writers. Then, the directors. Actors can only do so much with what they're given to work with. However, Larson didn't help any with her bullshit SJW tour before the film's release. And online feminist/SJW voices aren't helping any either. People go into the theater with a bad taste in their mouth before they even get to sit down and watch the damn thing.

I'm gonna go see it in a couple of days just because I'm a Marvel junkie and it leads into Endgame. I'll try to give my best unbiased assessment afterwards.

I still say the whole SJW thing was because the powers that be at Marvel think they made a shitty flick. No one puts that much money into production just for a small subset of a population. They're making these movies to make money, not to make a political statement and watch the final product tank.

deebakes
03-09-2019, 09:57 PM
I haven't watched the new Spiderman cartoon despite rave reviews. One - cartoon, two - he turned black?

It's the actual change that bothers me rather than seeing a black or female actor in the role if that makes sense. It's jarring and takes me out of the moment. Are we supposed to just forget about a 50 year back history because the new-world figures ____ should not be a white male now?

You should watch it, I was in the same camp as you before it, but my kids wanted to see it. It might be my favorite movie of 2018 that we went to.

DemonGeminiX
03-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Into the Spiderverse was cool.

lost in melb.
03-11-2019, 02:27 AM
From Forbes:

The Brie Larson/Samuel L. Jackson/Reggie the Cat sci-fi adventure opened with $153m in North America this weekend, which is the second-biggest solo superhero non-sequel launch behind Black Panther ($202m in 2018). It’s the third-biggest March opening of all time, sans inflation, behind Batman v Superman ($166m in 2016) and Beauty and the Beast ($174m in 2017)...

second-biggest solo superhero non-sequel launch

Now I just wanna make sure everyone got that:

second-biggest...solo...superhero...non-sequel... launch

lost in melb.
03-11-2019, 02:38 AM
I'm gonna go see it in a couple of days just because I'm a Marvel junkie and it leads into Endgame. I'll try to give my best unbiased assessment afterwards.

:monkey: vulva lover!

DemonGeminiX
03-11-2019, 03:14 AM
From Forbes:

The Brie Larson/Samuel L. Jackson/Reggie the Cat sci-fi adventure opened with $153m in North America this weekend, which is the second-biggest solo superhero non-sequel launch behind Black Panther ($202m in 2018). It’s the third-biggest March opening of all time, sans inflation, behind Batman v Superman ($166m in 2016) and Beauty and the Beast ($174m in 2017)...

Now I just wanna make sure everyone got that:

second-biggest...solo...superhero...non-sequel... launch

Who cares? Everybody can run to go see it, but it doesn't tell you how they feel about it after the lights come on.

lost in melb.
03-11-2019, 04:07 AM
Who cares? Everybody can run to go see it, but it doesn't tell you how they feel about it after the lights come on.

My point was they need 5 qualifiers to make a record

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2019, 11:29 AM
By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/HCNra43h.jpg

Feminist-hyped flick "Captain Marvel,” starring Woke actress Brie Larson, completely bombed in audience feedback on movie review site Rotten Tomatoes.

“Trolls” engaging on Rotten Tomatoes, not a dissatisfied audience, are apparently responsible for the low scores, according to the site. The unusually high (and negative) number of reviews on opening day was used to evidence such a narrative.

And in an effort to save "Captain Marvel" from such low audience scores, Rotten Tomatoes disabled visitors from rating their excitement about the flick pre-premiere and purged tens of thousands of bad reviews post-premiere.

But the desired outcome has still not been reached. "Captain Marvel" is sitting at a disappointing 63% audience rating, though that is significantly up from the 35% rating it hovered around on opening day.
The site’s newest initiative to assist the female-led film concerns common visitors having to somehow verify that they've seen the movie before they are allowed to leave a review. The Hollywood Reporter reported Wednesday:

A rep for the website now tells The Hollywood Reporter that additional measures are being considered in terms of audience reviews. Namely, a user may be asked to verify that he or she has seen the film in question before being allowed to post a critique. (It is unclear what that prompt would look like in practice.)

Dana Benson, a top communications representative for Fandango (parent company of Rotten Tomatoes), told The Hollywood Reporter, ”We are disappointed that there was a group of people who were obviously very passionate and who had a negative opinion of the movie, whether they saw it or not.”

Benson noted that there is a wipe gap between the critics’ review score and the general audience, which the site hopes to alleviate. ”We are in the middle of evolving the audience score. We want to ensure its credibility,” she said.

On Wednesday, the critics’ review of “Captain Marvel” — which has remained a steady since the film’s opening — is 16 percentage points higher than the audience review; 79% and 63% respectively.

In February, Rotten Tomatoes disabled visitors from scoring their excitement about the film after “Captain Marvel’s” “Want to See” score dropped to a dismal 27%.

"As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number. (The ‘Audience Score’ percentage, for those who haven’t been following, is the percentage of all users who have rated the movie or TV show positively – that is, given it a star rating of 3.5 or higher – and is only shown once the movie or TV show is released.),” said a post from Rotten Tomatoes, adding: “We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership.”

The film’s star, actress Brie Larson, branded “Captain Marvel” as a “big feminist movie” and vowed that the press junket for the movie would not be “overwhelmingly white male.”

The Hollywood Reporter noted that ratings for Black Panther and the all-female Ghostbusters reboot were similarly hit by “trolls” looking to sandbag the films.

DemonGeminiX
03-14-2019, 01:44 PM
There's always a wide gap between the critic's score and the audience's. That's nothing new. Critics are out of touch.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2019, 02:16 PM
There's always a wide gap between the critic's score and the audience's. That's nothing new. Critics are out of touch.

This is the problem though:

Benson noted that there is a wipe gap between the critics’ review score and the general audience, which the site hopes to alleviate. ”We are in the middle of evolving the audience score. We want to ensure its credibility,” she said.

How are they going to prove which reviews are false? How do you know that you can trust any score or rating on that site anymore? "Evolving the audience score" is not a good thing by any stretch.

Hal-9000
03-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Same thing with IMDB. Lots of instances of at least four glowing reviews from production trolls that skew the overall score if only five people have reviewed up to that point. I used to rely on that site to get a general idea of how movies are.

DemonGeminiX
03-15-2019, 02:52 PM
This is the problem though:

How are they going to prove which reviews are false? How do you know that you can trust any score or rating on that site anymore? "Evolving the audience score" is not a good thing by any stretch.

No, it's not. That just means you can't trust the site and everybody will have to go elsewhere for their reviews and ratings. They'll kill their own site traffic.

deebakes
03-16-2019, 01:43 AM
I went and saw this earlier in the week. It was an okay movie, but I likely won't watch it again (unlike other marvel movies).

fricnjay
03-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Disney Lying About Captain Marvel Box Office Numbers?

More controversy hits the net surrounding Captain Marvel as it is suggested that Disney may be faking the numbers and lying about the film's high box office reported to be $153 million domestically, with a $455.7 million global haul.

Users on social media have been posting screenshots of their local movie theaters where screenings for Captain Marvel are empty. I can also add that none of my local theaters had sold out shows, including the Thursday previews, with 3D screenings being particularly empty (that I noticed).

Conservative author Jack Posobiec, who called for the Captain Marvel boycott, posted the following video on Twitter which has received nearly 50k views, questioning, "What is going on here?"

https://i.imgur.com/m5B3Ibz.jpg

The video shows screenshots from Twitter users who note, "Here's my local theater on Friday night before 10:20 Captain Marvel showing. Wow!"

Another user posted, "The three Saturday evening showings for my local are almost empty. Identity politics marketing, Brie Larson, rumors of Captain Marvel being hamfisted into Endgame over established characters, it's killed any buzz ."

"I'm really not complaining but three Star Wars movies and now Captain Marvel in empty cinema. This must be how Bob Iger lives life!!" another added about the Disney CEO.

"Advantage of not working Fridays: almost empty cinemas for Captain Marvel. Hell, yes!" says another.

"Parking lot for Captain Marvel 90% empty today. Just like it was Thursday at 7 theaters I checked when the media lied and said it did $20 million. Thank u next!" another fan tweeted.

While it is unknown if Disney is actually lying about the box office numbers, the Hollywood trade site Deadline did fib about the flick's initial numbers when it claimed Captain Marvel brought in over $160 million in an attempt to put down the "trolls." The site also initially reported the Chinese box office numbers incorrectly as they reported it to be the #2 MCU movie in China, but it actually came in at #3 (and now it is learned it is fading fast in China). Obviously, Deadline was spinning the numbers to make Captain Marvel look a lot better than it is to create hype in an attempt to get more people to see the movie -- just like I said they were doing, while I reported the correct numbers.

Prior to the film's release also saw the movie review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes, run by a former Disney exec, turn off users' ability to rate and comment on the movie. Rotten Tomatoes also restarted the Audience Score following Captain Marvel's release while it was at an all-time low.

I do have some friends that run large movie theaters, so I'll see if I can find any info on the Captain Marvel sales and report back.

Goofy
03-18-2019, 03:18 PM
:yawn:

fricnjay
03-18-2019, 04:01 PM
:yawn:

*pees in mouth* 8-[

Goofy
03-18-2019, 04:43 PM
*pees in mouth* 8-[
:fire:

fricnjay