PDA

View Full Version : Driver learns the hard way - don't use homemade license plates

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2019, 11:12 AM
by KOMO Staff

https://i.imgur.com/4wrflmq.jpg

BELLEVUE, Wash. - A Bellevue driver found out the hard way that you can't just put your own homemade license plates on your car and call it good.

Police say the driver was pulled over early Saturday in the 15000 block of SE 38th Street after an officer observed "sovereign citizen" license plates on the vehicle. Members of the "sovereign citizen" movement do not recognize U.S. currency and believe they are "free of any legal restraints," according to Wikipedia.

The plates on the driver's vehicle said: "PRIVATE ... NO DRIVER LICENSE OR INSURANCE REQUIRED ... NOT FOR COMMERCE USE - PRIVATE MODE OF TRAVEL."

When the officer asked for the driver's identification, registration and insurance, the driver refused to provide it, according to the police report.

The officer then discovered that the vehicle was unregistered, with the title failing to have been transferred. When the officer asked the driver several times to exit the vehicle, he refused.

And that's when the driver learned that, actually, he was not above the law after all. He was arrested and booked for investigation of traffic offenses and obstructing an officer.

The vehicle was impounded.

RBP
03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
:dunce:

Goofy
03-14-2019, 01:38 PM
:facepalm:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-14-2019, 04:42 PM
How could this happen, he doesn't accept it

fricnjay
03-14-2019, 05:48 PM
I would be very interested in a follow on this story. :-k

Pony
03-14-2019, 09:36 PM
I think it would be hilarious if the guy that started the sovereign citizen movement turns out to be the biggest troll ever.

He's sitting back somewhere laughing his ass off every time someone gets arrested because he said it's "legal" if you say these magic words.