PDA

View Full Version : Netherlands tram shooting results in 'multiple' injuries, police say

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2019, 11:29 AM
By Katherine Lam | Fox News

A shooting inside a Netherlands tram on Monday resulted in "multiple" injuries, police said, and it wasn't immediately clear if authorities had a suspect in custody.

The shooting occurred around 10:45 a.m. local time in the Dutch city of Utrecht, located about 22 miles southeast of Amsterdam, local police said. A possible "terrorist motive" was being investigated in the incident.

"Multiple people have been injured. The surrounding area has been cordoned off and we are investigating the matter," police in Utrecht said.
Photos and descriptions from the scene indicated police had closed off a square near the Utrecht tram station.

Trauma helicopters had been sent to the scene, the Associated Press reported.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

lost in melb.
03-18-2019, 11:32 AM
:roll:

RBP
03-18-2019, 01:22 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47611811

A gunman has opened fire inside a tram and at several other locations in the Dutch city of Utrecht, authorities say.

Several people have been injured and one is feared to have died, media reports say.

Police say the gunman is still at large. Trains and trams have stopped running and schools have been asked to keep their doors closed.

Counter-terrorism police reportedly say the shooting "appears to be a terrorist attack".

Dutch anti-terrorism co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said all efforts were now focused on catching the gunman. He also said there could be more than one perpetrator.

The threat level has been temporarily raised to its highest point in the province of Utrecht.

Utrecht University has reportedly closed all buildings, with nobody allowed in or out. Trains are also not allowed to run into Utrecht Central station, and mosques across the city have reportedly been closed due to security concerns.

Heavily armed police reportedly gathered outside a house on a street near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was "deeply concerned" and cancelled his weekly coalition talks.

Police have asked for photos of the attack from members of the public.

Police have increased security at airports throughout the Netherlands.

Security services have reportedly told Utrecht's University Medical Centre to open the dedicated emergency ward to help care for the injured.

The tram shooting happened at about 10:45 local time (09:45 GMT).

"A man started shooting wildly," one eyewitness told Dutch news site NU.nl.

Another witness told Dutch public broadcaster NOS that he saw an injured woman with blood on her hands and clothes.

"I brought her into my car and helped her," he said. "When the police arrived, she was unconscious."

It is unknown how many were injured or how seriously they were hurt.

Utrecht's transport authority said all trams have now been cancelled, due to the increased threat level.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2019, 01:22 PM
http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?99820-Netherlands-tram-shooting-results-in-multiple-injuries-police-say

RBP
03-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Oh. Oops.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2019, 01:36 PM
No biggie, just merged them :)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2019, 06:12 PM
By Katherine Lam | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/15pTl4sh.jpg

A Turkish man was captured Monday, hours after he was identified as the suspect who allegedly gunned down three people and wounded several others on a Netherlands tram in an apparent terror attack, Dutch police said.

Gökmen Tanis, 37, from Turkey, was accused of the shooting near 24 Oktoberplein junction in the Dutch city of Utrecht, located about 22 miles southeast of Amsterdam. Details about his arrest weren't immediately released.

Tanis is accused of killing three people and wounding five others before fleeing, police said. Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen, who initially said nine people were wounded, said three of those injured remain in critical condition on Monday.

"We cannot exclude, even stronger, we assume a terror motive," van Zanen previously said.

Netherlands Counter-Terrorism Agency head Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said in a Monday afternoon news conference that the gunman opened fire in several locations.

"In Utrecht, there was a shooting at several locations," Aalbersberg told reporters. "A lot is still unclear at this point and local authorities are working hard to establish all the facts."

Heavily armed anti-terror officers were captured on video gathering in front of an apartment block close to the scene the initial attack of the tram. Authorities closed off a square near the tram.

https://i.imgur.com/stgtFBrh.jpg

Van Zanen earlier called the shooting a "horrible and radical incident" and said his "thoughts are with" the victims and their loved ones.

"The most important thing at the moment is taking care of the wounded and investigating the circumstances of the incident. We do not exclude anything, not even a terrorist attack," he said in a statement.

https://i.imgur.com/RE5depxh.jpg

Photos and videos showed officials cordoning off the area near the tram. A witness told Dutch news site NU.nl that "a man started shooting wildly." Another witness told Dutch broadcaster NOS he encountered a woman with blood on her hands and clothes at the scene.

"I brought her into my car and helped her," he recalled. "When the police arrived, she was unconscious."

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte called the situation "very worrying" and the country's counter-terror office raised the threat level to maximum.

In neighboring Germany, police stepped up their surveillance of the Dutch border.

New York City Police Commissioner James O'Neill said the NYPD was closely monitoring the shooting.

"#NYPD is closely monitoring reports of a shooting on a tram near Utrecht Central Station, the Netherlands’ main transportation hub. There does not appear to be a #NYC nexus at this time. A manhunt is ongoing & the motive is so far unknown. We ask everyone to always remain alert," the commissioner said.

The Netherlands shooting comes only days after a self-avowed white nationalist opened fire inside two New Zealand mosques, killing 50 people and injuring dozens more.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hal-9000
03-18-2019, 06:33 PM
"A manhunt is ongoing & the motive is so far unknown."

"The Netherlands shooting comes only days after a self-avowed white nationalist opened fire inside two New Zealand mosques, killing 50 people and injuring dozens more."

I hope this isn't the domino effect :|

Godfather
03-19-2019, 02:46 AM
"A manhunt is ongoing & the motive is so far unknown."

"The Netherlands shooting comes only days after a self-avowed white nationalist opened fire inside two New Zealand mosques, killing 50 people and injuring dozens more."

I hope this isn't the domino effect :|

Sounds like the guy was from Turkey and previously arrested on suspicion of connection to ISIS :| Fuck.