PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: 'At Stanford, Students Rely On Their Snowplow Parents To Set Up Play Dates With People In Their Dorm'

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 11:49 AM
By Paul Caron - TaxProf Blog

https://i.imgur.com/9EquLTdl.jpg

New York Times, How Parents Are Robbing Their Children of Adulthood:

Today’s “snowplow parents” keep their children’s futures obstacle-free — even when it means crossing ethical and legal boundaries. ...

Helicopter parenting, the practice of hovering anxiously near one’s children, monitoring their every activity, is so 20th century. Some affluent mothers and fathers now are more like snowplows: machines chugging ahead, clearing any obstacles in their child’s path to success, so they don’t have to encounter failure, frustration or lost opportunities. ...

[S]nowplowing (also known as lawn-mowing and bulldozing) has become the most brazen mode of parenting of the privileged children in the everyone-gets-a-trophy generation.

It starts early, when parents get on wait lists for elite preschools before their babies are born and try to make sure their toddlers are never compelled to do anything that may frustrate them. It gets more intense when school starts: running a forgotten assignment to school or calling a coach to request that their child make the team.

Later, it’s writing them an excuse if they procrastinate on schoolwork, paying a college counselor thousands of dollars to perfect their applications or calling their professors to argue about a grade. ...

In her practice, Dr. Levine said, she regularly sees college freshmen who “have had to come home from Emory or Brown because they don’t have the minimal kinds of adult skills that one needs to be in college.” ...

One came home because there was a rat in the dorm room. Some didn’t like their roommates. Others said it was too much work, and they had never learned independent study skills. One didn’t like to eat food with sauce. Her whole life, her parents had helped her avoid sauce, calling friends before going to their houses for dinner. At college, she didn’t know how to cope with the cafeteria options — covered in sauce.

“Here are parents who have spent 18 years grooming their kids with what they perceive as advantages, but they’re not,” Dr. Levine said.

Yes, it’s a parent’s job to support the children, and to use their adult wisdom to prepare for the future when their children aren’t mature enough to do so. That’s why parents hide certain toys from toddlers to avoid temper tantrums or take away a teenager’s car keys until he finishes his college applications.

If children have never faced an obstacle, what happens when they get into the real world?

They flounder, said Julie Lythcott-Haims, the former dean of freshmen at Stanford and the author of “How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success.”

At Stanford, she said, she saw students rely on their parents to set up play dates with people in their dorm or complain to their child’s employers when an internship didn’t lead to a job. The root cause, she said, was parents who had never let their children make mistakes or face challenges.

Snowplow parents have it backward, Ms. Lythcott-Haims said: “The point is to prepare the kid for the road, instead of preparing the road for the kid.” ...

In a new poll by The New York Times and Morning Consult of a nationally representative group of parents of children ages 18 to 28, three-quarters had made appointments for their adult children, like for doctor visits or haircuts, and the same share had reminded them of deadlines for school. Eleven percent said they would contact their child’s employer if their child had an issue.

Sixteen percent of those with children in college had texted or called them to wake them up so they didn’t sleep through a class or test. Eight percent had contacted a college professor or administrator about their child’s grades or a problem they were having. ...

At the elite schools, Ms. O’Laughlin said, a mother once called her to ask her to list the items in the school salad bar so she could choose what her daughter should eat for lunch, and another parent intervened over video chat to resolve a dispute with a roommate over stolen peanut butter.

RBP
03-19-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm just going to cut and paste today.

People have lost their damn minds.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
:lol:

Come on, it's like shooting fish in a barrel :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 01:06 PM
And these people (the kids) described in this story are the future of the world. :lol:

One didn’t like to eat food with sauce. Her whole life, her parents had helped her avoid sauce, calling friends before going to their houses for dinner. At college, she didn’t know how to cope with the cafeteria options — covered in sauce.

:suicide:

RBP
03-19-2019, 01:29 PM
I called the "pussification of America" many many years ago... it's accelerated.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 01:34 PM
I called the "pussification of America" many many years ago... it's accelerated.

I've used that apt term as well. Even though I've been told there's no such thing and that it isn't happening.

In a new poll by The New York Times and Morning Consult of a nationally representative group of parents of children ages 18 to 28, three-quarters had made appointments for their adult children, like for doctor visits or haircuts, and the same share had reminded them of deadlines for school. Eleven percent said they would contact their child’s employer if their child had an issue.

Sixteen percent of those with children in college had texted or called them to wake them up so they didn’t sleep through a class or test. Eight percent had contacted a college professor or administrator about their child’s grades or a problem they were having. ...

Yeah, all that is completely normal. :roll:

Pony
03-19-2019, 01:57 PM
And these people (the kids) described in this story are the future of the world. :lol:

:suicide:

And they are the same ones that are changing the world to fit their needy environment. They only poke their heads out of their safe spaces long enough to have a temper tantrum about how unfair everything is. They 100% feel that it should be the governments job to be their new parents and snowplow their path for the rest of their lives.

Muddy
03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Im going to get some pussification tonight... I told her to shave that thing and make it slick as a mafcker..

RBP
03-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Im going to get some pussification tonight... I told her to shave that thing and make it slick as a mafcker..

You're so toxic.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 02:11 PM
You're so toxic.

https://i.imgur.com/N7h1D9ul.jpg

Muddy
03-19-2019, 02:12 PM
You're so toxic.

Hopefully I can expel some toxicity tonight..

RBP
03-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Hopefully I can expel some toxicity tonight..

Show her you're gender fluid.

Muddy
03-19-2019, 02:17 PM
She her you're gender fluid.

https://i.imgur.com/eQKyDFu.mp4.