PDA

View Full Version : Unvaccinated high school student is suing the health department for banning him from school during a chicken pox outbreak

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 11:51 AM
By Carla Sinclair - Boing Boing

https://i.imgur.com/VTi6x3Hl.jpg

An 18-year-old high school senior is suing the Northern Kentucky Health Department for banning him from school and sports during a chicken pox outbreak. He refuses to get vaccinated because of his "Christian faith," so the Health Department refuses to let him attend school or play sports.

"The fact that I can't finish my senior year in basketball, like, our last couple of games, it's pretty devastating. I mean, you go through four years of high school playing basketball, you look forward to your senior year," the student, Jerome Kunkel, told WLWT5.

According to NBC:

The health department announced the policy Feb. 21 in a letter to parents, citing an outbreak of chickenpox at the school.

It first warned parents of the outbreak Feb. 5, urging them to get their children vaccinated. By March 14, the school had 32 cases of confirmed chickenpox, according to the health department.

"The recent actions taken by the Northern Kentucky Health Department regarding the chickenpox outbreak at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart/Assumption Academy was in direct response to a public health threat and was an appropriate and necessary response to prevent further spread of this contagious illness," the health department said in a statement in response to Kunkel's lawsuit.

Chicken pox is an airborne virus that can also be contracted through physical contact. Although most people get through the illness without any lasting effects, it can be devastating to pregnant women, babies, and people with weakened immune systems.

RBP
03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
I want to know what brand of Christianity doesn't allow vaccines. :roll:

People have lost their damn minds.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 01:08 PM

God Does Not Support Vaccines (https://www.livingwhole.org/god-does-not-support-vaccines/)

RBP
03-19-2019, 01:24 PM
God Does Not Support Vaccines (https://www.livingwhole.org/god-does-not-support-vaccines/)

That's truly disturbing. I have never delved into the sewer with the antivaxxers before. What a rambling neurotic mess.

Hal-9000
03-19-2019, 06:18 PM

I was into Christian Science for awhile. Not quite this level of aversion but close. An old flame was heavily into it from birth (her Dad was the small town preacher, 10 kid family...) and she fell out of a tree and broke her hip as a child. She said they reluctantly took her to a doctor, then the hospital. She was 25, 26 when we dated and she secured her first family doctor while we saw each other. Going on the pill was a HUGE development in her life.

Anyways, maybe these people of faith need to get a good dose of polio...you know, just to see what all the hub bub is over vaccines.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 06:50 PM
They all act pretty much like a cult, whether it's the religious ones or the conspiracy theory ones, they are all basically a cult.

Hal-9000
03-19-2019, 07:00 PM
They all act pretty much like a cult, whether it's the religious ones or the conspiracy theory ones, they are all basically a cult.

I disagree and it's never great hearing about my faith referred to as a cult. It's a basic belief system that allows for mistakes (because we're human) and encourages you to be good to others and yourself.

Very non pressure (I haven't been to church for a few years) and non judgmental. The biases I express here are mine, they're never things associated with my beliefs because giving people shit is not part of my Christianity. The shit I give to others is from my heart, not something derived from my faith :lol:

As with most groups...there are extremists but that doesn't mean everyone fits under that one umbrella :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 07:08 PM
I disagree and it's never great hearing about my faith referred to as a cult. It's a basic belief system that allows for mistakes (because we're human) and encourages you to be good to others and yourself.

Very non pressure (I haven't been to church for a few years) and non judgmental. The biases I express here are mine, they're never things associated with my beliefs because giving people shit is not part of my Christianity. The shit I give to others is from my heart, not something derived from my faith :lol:

As with most groups...there are extremists but that doesn't mean everyone fits under that one umbrella :thumbsup:

Not Christians, anti-vaxxers FFS :facepalm:

Hal-9000
03-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Sorry Lance you said the religious ones and I took it the wrong way...something else on my mind I guess.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Sorry Lance you said the religious ones and I took it the wrong way...something else on my mind I guess.

I forgive you :lol:

I meant the religious anti-vaxxers as opposed to the conspiracy theory anti-vaxxers.

Hal-9000
03-19-2019, 07:12 PM
I forgive you :lol:

Nicely done :lol:

Muddy
03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
He has terrible acne on his back..

RBP
03-19-2019, 10:17 PM
He has terrible acne on his back..

:serious: