PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water Tax Proposed In California

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 12:12 PM
CBS 13 Sacramento

https://i.imgur.com/IUrK82wh.jpg

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to charge California water customers up to $10 per month to help clean up contaminated water in low-income and rural areas, but he will face resistance from some legislative Democrats hesitant to impose new taxes.

The Democratic governor says up to 1 million California residents have some type of contaminated or unclean water coming through their taps that can cause health issues. He has called it “a moral disgrace and a medical emergency.”

“The fact that in California, in the fifth-largest economy, we have people who cannot drink their water, people who can’t even bathe in their water, there’s something absolutely wrong,” Democratic Assemblywoman Eloise Reyes said Wednesday during a hearing on Newsom’s plan.

The fee on water customers would affect households and businesses — an idea that lawmakers killed last session. Newsom wants to combine it with fees on animal farmers, dairies and fertilizer sellers to raise about $140 million per year.

A competing proposal by Democratic Sen. Anna Caballero would use money from the state’s multibillion-dollar surplus to create a trust fund to pay for water improvements.

Newsom’s plan could be difficult to pass because tax and fee increases require support from two-thirds of lawmakers.

Democrats hold 75 percent of the legislative seats, but some who represent moderate or agricultural districts may balk at the proposal, particularly after voters recalled a Democratic senator last year after he voted to raise the gas tax. Caballero, for example, represents an agricultural district previously held by a Republican.

There was broad agreement at Wednesday’s hearing that the lack of access to clean water for so many is a stain on the state, but lawmakers acknowledged a political solution has been elusive.

“I would be foolish, based on the history of this issue, to make promises about where we’re going to end up at the end of this cycle,” said Assemblyman Richard Bloom, chairman of the budget subcommittee. “But I will commit to doing my damnedest to bring this to a conclusion.”

Newsom’s plan starting next year would charge water customers from 95 cents to $10 a month, based on the size of their water meter, with exceptions for people in poverty.

Animal farmers, dairies and fertilizer producers and handlers also would pay a fee because their operations contribute to nitrate in groundwater.

The money raised would help public water systems, including those that serve schools, treat contaminated water, improve long-term maintenance and test the water quality of domestic wells.

Dozens of residents from the Central Valley testified in support of the fee, saying it would be a small price to pay to ensure access to water that wouldn’t make them sick.

“We are the poorest families, and we are willing to pay the tax because we spend a lot more money than the tax buying water bottles for our families,” said Lucy Hernandez, a resident of Tulare County in the Central Valley.

Water districts broadly oppose the user tax, instead calling on lawmakers to pass Caballero’s plan. The nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office said most people who would pay the fee would not directly benefit from it.

“We don’t think it makes sense to tax a resource that is essential to living,” said Cindy Tuck of the Association of California Water Agencies.

RBP
03-21-2019, 12:56 PM
You down with OPP. Yeah, you know me. - Gavin Newsom

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Man, they really don't want people to live there, do they?

RBP
03-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Man, they really don't want people to live there, do they?

100% of people who drink water will die, DGX. :x

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 01:09 PM
So here's a question....what are the water utilities doing with all the money they are already taking in from the customers? Shouldn't they be using that to fix things? You know, since people are already paying them? :-k

:facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2019, 01:09 PM
100% of the people who don't drink water will die. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

RBP
03-21-2019, 01:12 PM
So here's a question....what are the water utilities doing with all the money they are already taking in from the customers? Shouldn't they be using that to fix things? You know, since people are already paying them? :-k

:facepalm:

This is no time for logic. :hand:

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Is it even their water to begin with? Don't they steal it from Colorado?

Pony
03-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Is it even their water to begin with? Don't they steal it from Colorado?

I actually just watched a documentary, it featured a couple of former lake resort towns in Cali that are now toxic mud pits because SF drained them dry to support their unsustainable population. Majority rules.

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2019, 01:30 PM
I'd be all for gathering all the rain water that falls during hurricane season and sending it out west, especially during wildfires, but they have to pay for the transportation, and they have to filter and clean it their own damn selves.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 03:41 PM
We jest but if someone could figure a way to collect and shunt all of the snow from across the country and send it south to Cali...

I'm envisioning large fiberglass tubing systems like at waterparks :-k

regards,
AOC-9000

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2019, 03:45 PM
There is already talks of Gavin getting recalled. This water tax is not supported by the majority. He has put a ban on death penalty, surprisingly that is also not supported by the majority. There was a couple other big issues and only San Fran (where he was mayor) does he sit favorably in the polls. All over the rest of CA people arent happy on both sides of the fence. And a big surprise is he has fallen out of favor with the Latino and black voters :shock:

Hopefully this is a wake up call and people start voting out all the people supporting him in their districts.....but who am I kidding, they dont like whats happening so they will vote for someone even worse

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2019, 03:46 PM
I'd be all for gathering all the rain water that falls during hurricane season and sending it out west, especially during wildfires, but they have to pay for the transportation, and they have to filter and clean it their own damn selves.

Also its illegal to collect your own rainwater out here

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 03:49 PM

It used to be the same way here in Colorado up until a couple of years ago.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 03:54 PM

What? We have about a million ranchers and farmers up here who would pull rifles if someone tried to tell them that :lol:

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Ok, ok brainstorming time.

A large sheet is created. It covers the US with cutouts for Cali, Florida, other southern states.

Then, during the winter season we use guy wires to tilt it to the states that have the cutout holes. Easy Peasy.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 03:57 PM
I wonder what clouds tastes like? :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2019, 04:01 PM
What? We have about a million ranchers and farmers up here who would pull rifles if someone tried to tell them that :lol:

Its a true nanny state here, they have a rule/tax for everything

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Its a true nanny state here, they have a rule/tax for everything

Yeah but the rule occurs in a state devastated by drought and obvious water shortages. If the average joe doesn't collect rain water, who does?

Right up there with - Don't breath too deeply in Montana, air is at a premium ffs :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Yeah but the rule occurs in a state devastated by drought and obvious water shortages. If the average joe doesn't collect rain water, who does?

Right up there with - Don't breath too deeply in Montana, air is at a premium ffs :lol:

Everyone in charge here is a fuckin idiot

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Until the law was changed here, it was spelled right out, you do not own the water that falls on your property, it belonged to the city/county/state.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Until the law was changed here, it was spelled right out, you do not own the water that falls on your property, it belonged to the city/county/state.

Wow...I could write a movie about that.

The government actually claims to own precipitation derived from clouds...from nature itself.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Wow...I could write a movie about that.

The government actually claims to own precipitation derived from clouds...from nature itself.

https://i.imgur.com/myyqPnT.png

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 04:20 PM
While people die and crops fail :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
03-21-2019, 04:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/myyqPnT.png

I bet lobbying by the water company was behind that.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Looks like in 2012 they passed and ACT to allow you to collect rainwater off your roof. Still crazy it was even a rule

Pony
03-21-2019, 05:38 PM
We jest but if someone could figure a way to collect and shunt all of the snow from across the country and send it south to Cali...

I'm envisioning large fiberglass tubing systems like at waterparks :-k

regards,
AOC-9000

The Hal-9000 pipeline?

Ok, ok brainstorming time.

A large sheet is created. It covers the US with cutouts for Cali, Florida, other southern states.

Then, during the winter season we use guy wires to tilt it to the states that have the cutout holes. Easy Peasy.

Just have to find a way to tilt the flat earth.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 05:44 PM
The Hal-9000 pipeline?

Yes and no [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Have everyone go stand on one side? :-k

Pony
03-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Have everyone go stand on one side? :-k

Maybe that's why Cali is so dry. They need to reduce the populations in China and Japan.

Hal-9000
03-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Hey you dunderheads, this is ice on Lake Michigan.

Get some trucks, load them up, drive south, problem solved. Sheesh you guys can be maroons sometimes...

https://i.imgur.com/jf5ZqvR.jpg