PDA

View Full Version : Schools are removing analog clocks because students are struggling to read them

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Michelle Hambiliki - vt.co

https://i.imgur.com/9NFoUD9.jpg

It's no secret that telling the time on a digital clock as opposed to an analog one is a whole lot easier. And that's because a lot of people have difficulties deciphering the exact time on the traditional round clock with its big and small hands and limited numbers.

Yes, in this age of technology, which sets out to simplify things for the user, analog clocks simply don't cut it anymore. With digital clocks, it would be pretty difficult (even for the absolute worst of time-tellers) to get it wrong as you are literally just reading numbers.

Gone are the days when we would look down at our wrists to check the time, now all we have to do is get out our smartphones, with the added benefit of increased accuracy.

https://i.imgur.com/16onGHil.jpg

The shift from analog to digital, however, is now taking its toll on youngsters as they have become so accustomed to the latter that telling the time on analog clocks is proving to be a real challenge.

In fact, UK schools are now responding to this by removing analog clocks in exam halls. Brand new digital clocks will be installed in replacement of their now-outdated counterparts.

The new clocks are set to benefit schoolkids sitting their GCSE exams (in the UK equivalent of 10th grade) and students sitting their A-levels, (a rough US equivalent being a high school diploma).

Action was taken following complaints from students aged between 14 and 18 who were unhappy with the use of analog clocks in exams halls, as they were unable to read the exact time on them.

https://i.imgur.com/SPAmlNZl.jpg

Malcolm Trobe, deputy general secretary at the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), explained that teenagers have become used to telling the time on digital devices. "The current generation aren’t as good at reading the traditional clock face as older generations," he told The Telegraph.

"They are used to seeing a digital representation of time on their phone, on their computer. Nearly everything they’ve got is digital so youngsters are just exposed to time being given digitally everywhere."

The former principal added that schools hope the move will allow students to feel as calm and stress-free as possible during their exams. Unfortunately, the use of analog clocks could be adding to the pressure of the situation.

Trobe also stated that the aim of the change was to make tense situations in which students are assessed "as easy and straightforward as possible".

"You don’t want them to put their hand up to ask how much time is left," he clarified. "Schools will inevitably be doing their best to make young children feel as relaxed as the can be. There is actually a big advantage in using digital clocks in exam rooms because it is much less easy to mistake a time on a digital clock when you are working against time."

However, it is not just traditional methods of telling the time that youngsters are now having difficulties with, apparently, students are now increasingly unable to perform the basic academic task of writing with a pen.

Pediatric doctor Sally Payne warned that overindulging in smartphones and other digital devices, is having a detrimental effect on their ability to hold a pen or pencil.

https://i.imgur.com/LAojll1l.jpg

"To be able to grip a pencil and move it, you need strong control of the fine muscles in your fingers. Children need lots of opportunities to develop those skills," she explained.

"It’s easier to give a child an iPad than encouraging them to do muscle-building play such as building blocks, cutting and sticking, or pulling toys and ropes. Because of this, they’re not developing the underlying foundation skills they need to grip and hold a pencil."

There is something pretty uncomfortable about the fact that technology is having such an effect on kids that they are unable to perform simple tasks. However, that is simply the world we now live in.

DemonGeminiX
03-29-2019, 01:14 PM
Wow.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Telling time is hard :(

Pony
03-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Hey Billy, turn the dial clockwise! *blank stare

Pony
03-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Telling time is hard :(

Yep, the rest of us will just have to adapt to live in a society of idiots. I think I saw a documentary about that.... Or was it a movie.

Goofy
03-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Wow :|

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Regular clocks are very confusing :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
You really want to screw with kids now then, give them an analog clock with Roman Numerals on it :lol:

Pony
03-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Reminds me of a post from a friend that owns an independent pizza shop, He was AGAIN looking for an employee, willing to pay $12/hr. Apparently 90% of applicants walked out after being asked if they can pass a drug test, the one remaining that he hired lasted a week.

The next post was "Lets try this again, Now Hiring: Applicants must be able to tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage, understand that ovens are hot, be able to work a cash register (including making change) and pass a drug test."

Pony
03-29-2019, 01:59 PM
You really want to screw with kids now then, give them an analog clock with Roman Numerals on it :lol:

Lets ban digital clocks and only use Roman numerals and cursive handwriting. We will rule the world as gods.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Reminds me of a post from a friend that owns an independent pizza shop, He was AGAIN looking for an employee, willing to pay $12/hr. Apparently 90% of applicants walked out after being asked if they can pass a drug test, the one remaining that he hired lasted a week.

The next post was "Lets try this again, Now Hiring: Applicants must be able to tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage, understand that ovens are hot, be able to work a cash register (including making change) and pass a drug test."

When I was in the 4th grade, we had to take tests call 'basic competency' tests, and you couldn't move on to the next grade without passing them. They were things like telling time, making change, all the math tables (addition subtraction, multiplication, and division) and all those kinds of things. This was in Vermont, so I don't know if other states were doing it as well or not. But I'm thinking we need to bring these back...for high school kids.

Pony
03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
When I was in the 4th grade, we had to take tests call 'basic competency' tests, and you couldn't move on to the next grade without passing them. They were things like telling time, making change, all the math tables (addition subtraction, multiplication, and division) and all those kinds of things. This was in Vermont, so I don't know if other states were doing it as well or not. But I'm thinking we need to bring these back...for high school kids.

No kidding.

I recently confused a kid, making change, he was out of singles so I offered to give him $22 on my $17 order. After a blank look I said give me my change, took the pile of quarters, counted out the $3 in quarters, added two singles and said here's five bucks, give me a $5 bill.

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 02:47 PM

Ovens are hot? :-s

You didn't say I needed a college degree :x

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 02:48 PM
This clock thing is only the beginning. Did anyone see the post where the guy says learning cursive is a waste of time for kids today?

Pony
03-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Ovens are hot? :-s

You didn't say I needed a college degree :x

Those are only a few examples he posted. There were a few more I can't think of right now but he made it clear it was necessary to inform new employees of basic facts. Apparently a few mistakes were made. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-29-2019, 03:36 PM
This clock thing is only the beginning. Did anyone see the post where the guy says learning cursive is a waste of time for kids today?

Both of my nephews... atrocious handwriting. Both of them. It is god-awful. One of them is in college, the other one is a junior in high school. Neither one of them knows how to write legibly. I swear, I wanna slap my brother every time they send me a thank you note.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
Having good penmanship, both printing and cursive was a big thing back when we were all in school. And just because so much communication takes place digitally now, that's no reason to stop teaching good penmanship in grade school.

DemonGeminiX
03-29-2019, 03:46 PM
My older nephew's birthday's coming up. He's gonna be 20. He's always asking for money as gifts for birthdays and Christmas, so I was thinking about buying him one of Dave Ramsey's responsible finance books. Maybe I'll send him one of those kindergarten handwriting books too.

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Both of my nephews... atrocious handwriting. Both of them. It is god-awful. One of them is in college, the other one is a junior in high school. Neither one of them knows how to write legibly. I swear, I wanna slap my brother every time they send me a thank you note.

Having good penmanship, both printing and cursive was a big thing back when we were all in school. And just because so much communication takes place digitally now, that's no reason to stop teaching good penmanship in grade school.

I sincerely wait for the EMP and the looks of millions of people who are trying to navigate through analog life. I suspect they will look like ---> :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 03:48 PM
I sincerely wait for the EMP and the looks of millions of people who are trying to navigate through analog life. I suspect they will look like ---> :-s

Exactly, they would be all....WTF is a pencil? :confused:

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 03:49 PM
Exactly, they would be all....WTF is a pencil? :confused:

Holding pen and paper while making a bunch of monkey-like hand gestures because they can't write - I am hungry :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2019, 03:53 PM
The tip of my pencil has worn away, where's the USB port to charge it back up? :-k

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 03:56 PM
Years ago...niece is over visiting one day and I ask - How come you're not in school? She says the server went down. I ask - Doesn't your teacher have books and notepads/scribblers?

She says condescendingly - Oh Uncle hal you're so funny!

:|

That was over eight years ago and I thought then - Wow, they're pretty tied to PC's. :-k

Pony
03-29-2019, 04:01 PM

I have to admit that my handwriting has gotten very sloppy over the decades. :oops:

Hal-9000
03-29-2019, 04:02 PM
I have to admit that my handwriting has gotten very sloppy over the decades. :oops:

Try working in a warehouse for 27 years. Mine turned into a morph I called print-writing and I had to learn how to differentiate all over again when I left :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-29-2019, 04:11 PM
I've been writing with a cursive-print hybrid for decades. I haven't written in straight cursive or straight print since middle school. Whenever I sign documents and the document asks for my printed name and my signature below my printed name, they're both the same. No one ever complains.

Pony
03-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Aside from my illegible signature, almost all of my writing is print these days. I don't do a lot, mostly just notes to myself on what needs done at work, etc.