#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Alyssa Milano pushes against Georgia abortion ban, Georgia pushes back

By Louis Casiano | Fox News

Actress Alyssa Milano and around 30 other Georgia-based film TV and film workers urged Republican Gov. Brian Kemp on Tuesday to veto a “heartbeat” abortion ban that has drawn scorn from Hollywood figures.

Milano -- who films her Netflix comedy “Insatiable” in Atlanta -- delivered a letter to Kemp’s office in the Statehouse in Atlanta that was signed by other prominent Hollywood actors before speaking out on the bill.

The so-called “Heartbeat” bill would prohibit most abortions in the state after a heartbeat is detected – which can come as early as six weeks, before many women know they are pregnant. It would not apply in the case of rape, incest or if the life of the mother is in danger.

“We are going to do everything in our power to move our industry to a safer state for women if HB 481 becomes law,” Milano said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Last month, she tweeted the bill would “strip women of their bodily autonomy.”

But Georgia state Rep. Dominic LaRiccia, a Republican, confronted Milano outside Kemp’s office and asked which Georgia district she votes in. She replied she is currently working in the state but does not live there.

The legislation was approved last week and is backed by Kemp, who told the Journal-Constitution he won't be swayed by Milano's arguments against the proposal.

"I can't govern because I'm worried about what someone in Hollywood thinks about me," Kemp told the newspaper. "I ran the last two years on these issues, and I got elected with the largest number of votes in the history of the state of Georgia, and I'm doing what I told people I would do."

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp. (Associated Press)

Before it passed last week, film and crew members sent letters to production companies HBO, Sony, Disney, Universal, Marvel and Netflix, urging them to publicly oppose the bill. Georgia has become a major hub for the film industry because of its generous tax credits.

The state was home to 455 productions last fiscal year, generating $9.5 billion in economic impact and $2.7 billion in direct spending, the paper reported.

Actress Alyssa Milano, left, delivers a letter to Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp's office detailing her opposition to HB 481 at the State Capitol Tuesday, April 2, 2019, in Atlanta. HB 481
    would ban almost all abortions after a fetal heartbeat can be detected. (Associated Press)

“These are the men that are voting on what goes on inside my uterus,” Milano said Tuesday.

Milano has become a prominent activist for the #MeToo movement and fierce critic of President Trump. In January, she compared his supporters to members of the Ku Klux Klan, saying "The red MAGA hat is the new white hood.”

During the confirmation hearing for Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, Milano supported women who accused him of sexually assaulting them years before.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-03-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    It's an unconstitutional law, so it's all show on both sides.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    It's an unconstitutional law, so it's all show on both sides.
    How is it Unconstitutional?

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    How is it Unconstitutional?
    Roe v Wade

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Roe v Wade
    That's precedent, that's not in the Constitution. Precedent can always be overturned, it happens to laws all the time. When SCOTUS deferred it to the states, they are allowing them to legislate abortion as they see fit. I hardly see this law as Unconstitutional.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Roe v Wade

Roe v Wade's not in the Constitution.

Damn, you beat me.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Roe v Wade's not in the Constitution.

Damn, you beat me.
    The Supreme court makes constitutional interpretations. The only thing they do is decide what's constitutional and what is not. C'mon man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, Alyssa? If you don't like the law, stay in California and take your butthurt Hollywood friends with you.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The Supreme court makes constitutional interpretations. The only thing they do is decide what's constitutional and what is not. C'mon man.
    Amendment 10:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    That's precedent, that's not in the Constitution. Precedent can always be overturned, it happens to laws all the time. When SCOTUS deferred it to the states, they are allowing them to legislate abortion as they see fit. I hardly see this law as Unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Amendment 10:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    First, you're splitting hairs on my use of the word "constitutional". Apparently I need to use the longhand form of "the supreme court has ruled and repeatedly affirmed that abortion prior to fetal viability is constitutionally protected". Feel better?

Secondly, the only power sent back to the states by Roe was abortion AFTER fetal viability. A heartbeat at 6 weeks is not viability, which is in the low 20's week range.

DGX wants abortion to be a states' rights issue. That's fine for future arguments, but that's not how the law works right now. Both sides have set up a challenge by passing state laws with the intent of a national challenge. So you'll get your day in court.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I love having my day in court!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Did she recently get elected?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No, she just thinks her opinions matter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I don't listen to her because recently I read how she and the other cast members from the original Charmed show are steaming mad about the new version.

Because they weren't consulted on any aspect of the remake.......

I've never watched either show and don't care. But since when do any cast members or producers of a new reboot have to consult with the hired help from the old version?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    She's not even a resident of Georgia, so I imagine Gov Kemp will completely disregard anything she says on the matter.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-03-2019)