Thread: Restaurant bans unaccompanied middle school students from dining, sparks mixed reviews

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Drama Restaurant bans unaccompanied middle school students from dining, sparks mixed reviews

By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

Stock Image

A restaurant in Wisconsin has received mixed reviews after posting a sign on its door stating middle school students are “no longer allowed inside of the building without parental supervision.”

Tom’s Drive-in in Appleton reportedly wrote the sign after experiencing “mistreatment of Tom’s Drive In’s property, guests and staff” from middle school students, according to the sign.

The restaurant manager told WFRV that the sign was put in place months ago after students were caught vandalizing booths, yelling profanities and leaving large messes. Students were also reportedly caught stealing soda, fighting with other customers and giving each other tattoos with pen ink and needles, which resulted in bloody napkins being left behind at the restaurant.

Dealing with the post-school influx of middle school students had become a “full-time babysitting job,” the restaurant told WFRV, prompting the ban.

A post shared by on

The restaurant did say they are not singling out one specific school, and did have many well-behaved students at the eatery. However, the increase in student-related issues became too much to handle.

Middle school students are still allowed to order at the restaurant's walk-up window, or inside if they are chaperoned by their parents.

The new mandate prompted different reactions on social media.

“Its sad that they had to go to this extent, but im sure this was a last resort for them. If the kids were purposely making large messes, being disruptive, or damaging property, then this is a completely justified reaction,” one supporting the ban wrote.

“I understand where they are coming from,” one wrote of the restaurant’s actions.

“Very Sad that All Students are banned when it’s probably just a Handful that Caused the Problems! Punish Those that are the Problems!!” one person commented on Instagram.

“PUNISH THEM ALL FOR THE MISDEEDS OF THE FEW. Booooooooo, fire that manager NOW!” one wrote.

The restaurant told WFRV the ban will remain in place until the end of the school year, and then they will reevaluate whether or not to keep it in place.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Hope it wasn't the gay kids or they'll be marching on the capital.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Hope it wasn't the gay kids or they'll be marching on the capital.
    HATE CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    We have a combo Esso gas station and Tim Hortons store near me. I've mentioned the size and how small it is before.

There's a junior high school across the street and they have a sign. "Only five students allowed in the store at once, please leave your backpacks outside."

You'd have to see the internal set up. Imagine two tills and counters about seven feet from each other at an odd angle in a room about 30 x 15 square feet total.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    We have a combo Esso gas station and Tim Hortons store near me. I've mentioned the size and how small it is before.

There's a junior high school across the street and they have a sign. "Only five students allowed in the store at once, please leave your backpacks outside."

You'd have to see the internal set up. Imagine two tills and counters about seven feet from each other at an odd angle in a room about 30 x 15 square feet total.
    Yup, the Esso near my last place had the same rule as it was close to a high school. Kids coming in weren't being respectful, and I fully support the owners taking action to protect their business.

I'm not exactly sure why this is headline news... helicopter parents, outspoken students or both? Either way, seems like rather than being self-reflective they're just doing what everyone else seems to do these days and take offense

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Yup, the Esso near my last place had the same rule as it was close to a high school. Kids coming in weren't being respectful, and I fully support the owners taking action to protect their business.

I'm not exactly sure why this is headline news... helicopter parents, outspoken students or both? Either way, seems like rather than being self-reflective they're just doing what everyone else seems to do these days and take offense
    Story above is a good example. Someone complains that everyone is being punished for the deeds of the few...the restaurant staff shouldn't have to put up with tattooing, bloody napkins, damage to the place. Same way one employee in an Esso station shouldn't have to watch 18 kids with backpacks mill about the store and generally just hang out. Someone ruined it for everyone else, now adapt to the new world.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-16-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (04-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Story above is a good example. Someone complains that everyone is being punished for the deeds of the few...the restaurant staff shouldn't have to put up with tattooing, bloody napkins, damage to the place. Same way one employee in an Esso station shouldn't have to watch 18 kids with backpacks mill about the store and generally just hang out. Someone ruined it for everyone else, now adapt to the new world.
    And that's the way the world has always worked. It only takes a handful of people to fuck everything up for everyone.

Plus I can't understand the uproar over this, they are banning unaccompanied middle school aged kids, which here makes them 6-8 grade kids or around 12 thru 14 years old. They can find other places to go hang out and be destructive if that's what they choose to do. I can't imahine the restaurant is taking a huge hit in sales by banning that age group. You know how much money I had to spend at that age? A whole lot of nothing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    And that's the way the world has always worked. It only takes a handful of people to fuck everything up for everyone.

Plus I can't understand the uproar over this, they are banning unaccompanied middle school aged kids, which here makes them 6-8 grade kids or around 12 thru 14 years old. They can find other places to go hang out and be destructive if that's what they choose to do. I can't imahine the restaurant is taking a huge hit in sales by banning that age group. You know how much money I had to spend at that age? A whole lot of nothing.
    I try to imagine myself working for minimum wage in a restaurant and then having to deal with situations like that. Policing and forcing people out. That's how you get hurt....no one needs to put up with that shit.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-16-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (04-16-2019)