Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warren's massive $640 billion student loan cancellation questioned over fairness to students who paid off their debts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Obvious Warren's massive $640 billion student loan cancellation questioned over fairness to students who paid off their debts

By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

Democrat Elizabeth Warren’s plan to cancel existing student loan debt for millions of Americans is facing questions whether it’s fair to use taxpayers’ money to pay off someone else’s agreed commitments and if the people who paid off their student debts would be penalized for meticulous financial planning.

The leading 2020 presidential candidate unveiled her plan on Monday, going further than most of other Democratic candidates when it comes to education policies, pledging to cancel almost all student loan debt for 42 million Americans.

Under Warren’s plan, each person’s student debt would get a relief of $50,000 if household income is up to $100,000. Higher incomes would also be entitled to massive debt reductions, with only those earning over $250,000 would get no student debt cancellation.

“For example, a person with household income of $130,000 gets $40,000 in cancellation [of student debt], while a person with household income of $160,000 gets $30,000 in cancellation,” Warren in a blog post.

But many went on to social media raise their questions about the plan that in their view penalizes those who didn’t go to overpriced schools and honored their commitments by diligently paying their debts.

“Do I get a refund for having chosen a cheaper public university so I wouldn't be riddled with a ton of debt?” wrote Josh Jordan. “Seriously this is stupid - everyone knows what they're borrowing when they go through the process and I want no part in paying off everyone else's student loans.”

“You better retro that and pay back all of us who diligently paid our loans back in full if you pull this bull----,” wrote a Twitter user.

“NO! I signed on the dotted line, I will pay it off. I still owe over 40K and I refuse to let you rob me of fulfilling my obligation,” wrote another user.

"But I don't wanna pay for other people's college or their college debts," conservative author Kurt Schlichter summed up the proposal.

According to the details provided by Warren, her student debt cancelation plan has a one-off price tag of $640 billion to the government.

She claims that the cost of the policy, in addition to her proposed universal free college, would be “be “more than covered by my Ultra-Millionaire Tax -- a 2% annual tax on the 75,000 families with $50 million or more in wealth.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Definitely would not be fair.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Since I wasn't stupid enough to go to college for some useless degree and rack up 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans, do you think she'll pay off my mortgage instead?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nice..! I never knew had a degree, Lance.. Very impressive..

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I'm very confused.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Nice..! I never knew had a degree, Lance.. Very impressive..
    I don't....where did I say I did?

Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I'm very confused.
    About?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I don't....where did I say I did?
    Since I wasn't stupid enough to go to college for some useless degree and rack up 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans, do you think she'll pay off my mortgage instead?

My bad... Three key characters I blew right by.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My bad... Three key characters I blew right by.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No longer confused.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    College can be good, but sometimes the investment isn't worth it.. (you guys know this, I'm just being captain obvious)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    College can be good, but sometimes the investment isn't worth it.. (you guys know this, I'm just being captain obvious)
    That's why I said "useless degree" in my post. There's nothing wrong or useless with wanting to go to school to be an engineer or a doctor or a physicist. But when you go to school 'just because' and you take out $50K in student loans and graduate with your Art History degree or your Gender Studies degree and then whine when you can't get a job anywhere but Starbucks, then that's on you for wasting all that money. And the taxpayers shouldn't be responsible for bailing your worthless ass out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

perrhaps (04-24-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's why I said "useless degree" in my post. There's nothing wrong or useless with wanting to go to school to be an engineer or a doctor or a physicist. But when you go to school 'just because' and you take out $50K in student loans and graduate with your Art History degree or your Gender Studies degree and then whine when you can't get a job anywhere but Starbucks, then that's on you for wasting all that money. And the taxpayers shouldn't be responsible for bailing your worthless ass out.
    I believe we have the lowest trade school participation in the west. I have said many times, I do not know who started this "everyone needs to go to college" bullshit, but I want to smack them.

Having said that, the issue with student loans is that the government increased the money supply by taking over all loans, having no approval criteria, which exploded tuition rates and bloated administration staffs at US colleges.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    My wife has 4 degrees, 2 from state schools and 2 from private and we have no school debt. The amount of money spent on her education is staggering, and its all paid for. So if this stupid bitch really tries to make this happen I'll go to court. Why should a bunch of irresponsible nutsacks get there debt paid of when they probably chose a degree plan with no viable job prospects. So now they have no way to pay it back when there are responsible people out there did it the right way. So in other words lets forgive the dumbass and punish the smart. They should sue the universities for allowing them to take out loans on a degree plan with no job prospects. Thats irresponsible of the schools and the banks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They should sue the US Government for allowing them to take out loans on a degree plan with no job prospects. That's irresponsible of the US Government.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Your right, I'm sure it was legislation that allowed the banks and universities to do this shit. Its like Clinton reversing glass steagall and banks went nuts giving out bad home loans, which of coarse caused a recession. These college loans are basically the same damn thing.