Thread: 'Could You Draw A Dot Within 50 Miles Of Your House?': Why The U.S. May Have A Geography Literacy Problem

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Fail 'Could You Draw A Dot Within 50 Miles Of Your House?': Why The U.S. May Have A Geography Literacy Problem

By Jackson Cote & Jeremy Hobson - WBUR 90.9 FM

Severe weather brought strong winds and the risk of harsh storms to Alabama Thursday night. When these kinds of weather events happen, there is usually fair warning by local meteorologists, who stand in front of a regional map and explain what to expect and where.

Maps are crucial to understanding severe weather threats to various areas — but what good are they if viewers can't read them?

According to one frustrated Birmingham weatherman, James Spann, the U.S. has a geography literacy problem. Spann, chief meteorologist at ABC 33/40, asked on air, "If I were to give you a blank map with no labels, no highways, just county lines and state lines, could you draw a dot within 50 miles of your house?"

As an experiment, Spann visits rotary clubs and other venues near him to ask adults this same question. The answers have been cloudy.

“I would give them a blank map with county lines and state lines, and I would say put a dot within 50 miles of your house,” Spann (@spann) tells Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson. “In most every situation, at least 60, 70 percent could not do it.”

Spann started to notice a few years ago that many people didn't understand their local maps. After posting weather maps to social media, he would see 20 to 30 comments from users expressing similar confusion. Their messages would start with the phrase, “What about,” followed by the name of their town.

“ ‘What about Clanton? What about Rockford? What about Hamilton? What about Winfield?’ And I'm thinking, 'What is this?’ ” says Spann. “In my opinion, a third-grader or a second-grader should be able to easily pick out where they are and understand what we're trying to communicate.”

Spann thought there was something technically wrong with the maps he was posting. But after getting the help of a group of social scientists, he found that most people just can't find their house on a map.

This is a dangerous problem, he says. A significant number of Americans live in tornado-prone areas, and others may be dealing with different environmental threats, like flooding, earthquakes or tsunamis.

“First thing you're going to see when there's a major earthquake are the maps coming from NOAA [National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration] indicating the tsunami waves and the approximate arrival times,” says Spann. “If you can’t identify where you live on a map, you're just in big trouble.”

A large part of the problem is smartphones, which have GPS systems that give turn-by-turn directions. People don’t need maps anymore, he says. So, it is especially encouraging to him when he sees educators teaching children about basic geography.

“I have had countless photographs of second-grade classes and third-grade classes where the kids are showing, 'This is where I live. I'm pointing to it,' " he says. "At least this conversation can spark some interest perhaps in those that are teaching our children, where they really do need some map skills coming out of school."

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 8,181 Posts
    If you can't put a dot within fifty miles of the town or county you live in, you should move.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    If you can't put a dot within fifty miles of the town or county you live in, you should move.
    Where are they gonna move to? They can't read a map.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-23-2019), perrhaps (04-24-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have a comical story kinda along these lines

Back when I was in high school, a bunch of us worked at a gas station that was right off the interstate. We were the first exit coming south from Quebec or the last major exit going north before getting to Quebec, so we saw a LOT of traffic thru the gas station, especially during the summer when the weather was nice. We'd have Canadians, Americans, everyone stop for gas, snacks, and sometimes directions, just the usual kind of stuff. One day on my shift (it was a weekend day I believe) a car came in and I was outside in the yard doing something like emptying trash or whatnot, and the guy got out and asked me politely if I could give him some directions. I said no problem and walk over to his car where he's unfolding a map on the hood of his car. It wasn't a state map of Vermont or anything like that, it was map of the United States. And this sounds made up, but I kid you not, he asks me with complete sincerity and a straight face, "where am I?" I just sort of looked at him for a minute because I wasn't completely sure he was serious, but after a bit of a pause I pointed to Vermont on the map. He said okay, wait a sec, and went back into his car and pulled out another map and this time it was a Vermont highway map. He asked me for directions somewhere and I helped him out and got him on his way. But when he first got there, he didn't even know what state he was in. Sometimes I think back and wonder if I would have pointed to something like Maine or Massachusetts, would he have pulled one of those maps out instead?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (04-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I have a comical story kinda along these lines

Back when I was in high school, a bunch of us worked at a gas station that was right off the interstate. We were the first exit coming south from Quebec or the last major exit going north before getting to Quebec, so we saw a LOT of traffic thru the gas station, especially during the summer when the weather was nice. We'd have Canadians, Americans, everyone stop for gas, snacks, and sometimes directions, just the usual kind of stuff. One day on my shift (it was a weekend day I believe) a car came in and I was outside in the yard doing something like emptying trash or whatnot, and the guy got out and asked me politely if I could give him some directions. I said no problem and walk over to his car where he's unfolding a map on the hood of his car. It wasn't a state map of Vermont or anything like that, it was map of the United States. And this sounds made up, but I kid you not, he asks me with complete sincerity and a straight face, "where am I?" I just sort of looked at him for a minute because I wasn't completely sure he was serious, but after a bit of a pause I pointed to Vermont on the map. He said okay, wait a sec, and went back into his car and pulled out another map and this time it was a Vermont highway map. He asked me for directions somewhere and I helped him out and got him on his way. But when he first got there, he didn't even know what state he was in. Sometimes I think back and wonder if I would have pointed to something like Maine or Massachusetts, would he have pulled one of those maps out instead?

Where am I?

And that's when you say - Northern Mexico sir! And pull out your giant map of Texas

Hey man I live in that world. I don't have GPS in my car or on my phone. If I want to go somewhere I look at a map and try to remember it as best as possible. Highways tend to repeat numbers and if you're not on the ball, the ol I-95 can take you to a lot of places.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-25-2019)