Thread: Alabama just passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts

Law Alabama just passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

The Alabama State Senate passed a near-total abortion ban in a 25 to 6 vote on Tuesday night. The legislation provides no exceptions for rape or incest. The bill is the most restrictive anti-abortion measure passed since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973.

The bill now heads to Governor Kay Ivey, a Republican. If she signs it, the bill will become law. Up until Tuesday she has withheld public comment on the legislation.

The legislation -- House Bill 314, "Human Life Protection Act" -- bans all abortions in the state except when "abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk" to the woman, according to the bill's text. It criminalizes the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors. Attempted abortions will be reclassified as a Class C penalty.

"It's a sad day in Alabama," said Senate Minority Leader Bobby Singleton in the debate leading up to the vote. "You just said to my daughter, you don't matter, you don't matter in the state of Alabama."

After the bill passed, Lieutenant Governor Will Ainsworth voiced his support for the measure.

"With liberal states approving radical late-term and post-birth abortions, Roe must be challenged, and I am proud that Alabama is leading the way," Ainsworth tweeted on Tuesday night.

Alabama's ban is the latest in an onslaught of state-level anti-abortion measures that activists hope will be taken up by the Supreme Court and potentially overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that protects a woman's right to the procedure. Last week, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed into law the state's so-called "fetal heartbeat" bill, a measure that will prohibit abortions after a heartbeat is detected in an embryo, which is typically five to six weeks into a pregnancy, and before most women know that they're pregnant. The state was the sixth to pass such a law, and the fourth this year alone.

Abortion rights advocates have promised to challenge Alabama's controversial legislation if Ivey signs the bill into law.

"We will not stand by while politicians endanger the lives of women and doctors for political gain," wrote Alexa Kolbi-Molinas, a senior staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union's Reproductive Freedom Project, in an email to CBS News following the vote. "Know this, Governor Ivey: If you sign this dangerous bill into law, we will see you in Court"

But the bill's sponsor, Representative Terri Collins, said that's the point. The state lawmaker called the bill a "direct attack" on Roe v. Wade and anticipates that the bill will be contested by abortion rights advocates, like the ACLU, and potentially make its way to the high court.

"The heart of this bill is to confront a decision that was made by the courts in 1973 that said the baby in the womb is not a person," Collins said last week when the Alabama House debated the legislation. "This bill addresses that one issue. Is that baby in the womb a person? I believe our law says it is."

The legislation will take effect six months after Ivey gives the bill her signature.

Alabama state lawmakers also compare abortions in the U.S. to the Holocaust and other modern genocides in the legislation, prompting Jewish activists and abortion rights groups to rebuke the legislation as "deeply offensive."

Singleton proposed an amendment that would have carved out an exception for victims of rape and incest. During debate he introduced three women who were victims of rape and told his colleagues, "They didn't ask for what they got. It happened. And now they're having to live with it."

The amendment ultimately failed, with 21 Senators voting against the rape and victim exception and 11 voting in favor of it.

Republican Senator Clyde Chambliss argued that the ban was still fair to victims of rape and incest because those women would still be allowed to get an abortion "until she knows she's pregnant," a statement that garnered a mixture of groans and cackles from the chamber's gallery.

"In a state that has some of the worst health outcomes for women in the nation-such as the highest rate of cervical cancer -- Alabama is putting women's lives at an even greater risk," said Dr. Leana Wen, President of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, in an statement emailed to CBS News on Tuesday night. "Politicians who say they value life should advocate for policies to solve the public health crises that are killing women, not dismantle what little access to health care Alabamians have left."

First published on May 14, 2019 / 9:33 PM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    It's all positioning. The left passes "no restriction" laws, in response the right passes draconian laws. You know what's a good middle ground standard? Roe.

It's a simple answer. Viability. Roe. Just deal with it.
    Last edited by RBP; 05-16-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (05-16-2019), lost in melb. (05-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Not that this is a pleasant notion, but you can travel over the border, get an abortion and come back without facing prosecution. Correct?

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Not that this is a pleasant notion, but you can travel over the border, get an abortion and come back without facing prosecution. Correct?
    Yuppers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-17-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

AOC blames Twitter, readers after called out for tweets about Alabama pro-life law

By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez blamed Twitter's character limitations -- and the reading skills of her critics -- after getting called out for spreading misinformation about the newly signed abortion ban in Alabama.

The New York Democrat used the social media platform to criticize the law, which was signed by the governor on Wednesday and outlaws nearly all abortions in the state. The same law also makes performing an abortion a felony, punishable by up to 99 years or life in prison unless the mother’s health is at risk, with no exceptions for women impregnated by rape or incest.

“Alabama lawmakers are making all abortions a felony punishable w jail time, including women victimized by rape+incest,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote in a tweet.

“Of course, no added punishments for rapists. It’s going to [Governor Kay Ivey’s] desk. She will decide the future of women’s rights in Alabama.”

The tweet was immediately called out by conservative commentators, who pointed out that the law specifically targets the abortion providers and is designed to not punish women.

“This is a lie,” tweeted the Daily Wire’s Michel Knowles, citing a portion of the law that specifically addresses the issue.

“Section 5. No woman upon whom an abortion is performed or attempted to be performed shall be criminally or civilly liable. Furthermore, no physician confirming the serious health risk to the child's mother shall be criminally or civilly liable for those actions,” read the bill’s text.

“Everything about this tweet by @AOC is false,” wrote Caleb Hull. “Women who receive abortions in Alabama do NOT face jail time under the new Heartbeat bill. It is doctors who face prison if they illegally perform abortions and are convicted of a felony, not the pregnant women.”

Ocasio-Cortez didn’t admit her error and instead went on to blame the social media platform for having limited space.

“It’s a felony punishable by jail, [including] cases of women pregnant by rape or incest. Twitter is 280 [characters] - read the context clues in grammar of the tweet,” she tweeted.

“But good to know you’re here to promote criminalizing medical providers aiding victims of rape and incest! good job.”

She also challenged those who claimed women wouldn't face felony charges, implying that they overlooked that women medical staffers could face charges for providing abortion services.

The Alabama abortion ban ignited a debate across the country, with critics arguing that it’s going too far while more conservative people say the law rightfully targets abortion providers.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) vowed to sue the law was first approved in the state Senate on Tuesday and reiterated the plan to sue on Wednesday.

A similar pro-life law has been enacted in Georgia, with Gov. Brian Kemp signing the “heartbeat” bill into law that prohibits abortions in the state after a heartbeat is detected, as early as six weeks into a pregnancy. The law allows exceptions in the case of rape, incest, or if the life of the mother is in danger.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    The patients are never subject to prosecution.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    If you mean Canada, yes.

And on the way to my Mom's facility there's an abortion office in a converted house that still draws sign holding protestors...every single day I go past it.

Up here there's a rule that the protestors can't go within 500 feet so they stand across the street near a park and walk with their signs.

I believe in free speech but the constant sign holding vigil seems draconian to me Doesn't change a thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    If you mean Canada, yes.

And on the way to my Mom's facility there's an abortion office in a converted house that still draws sign holding protestors...every single day I go past it.

Up here there's a rule that the protestors can't go within 500 feet so they stand across the street near a park and walk with their signs.

I believe in free speech but the constant sign holding vigil seems draconian to me Doesn't change a thing.
    I think he was just talking about crossing state lines.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Here's how I look at the abortion debate, and I for the most part am pretty middle of the road about it, I believe that Roe v Wade is precedence and that's the way it should be going forward. However, when it comes to the whole militant feminist 'my body, my choice' and that they should be able to have an abortion any time they want and a man should have no say in the matter, that's where it starts to bother me. These women want it both ways, they want the decision on whether to keep the baby or abort it to be theirs and theirs alone, the man has no say. But, if they decide to keep the baby but the father didn't want her to keep it, the women want him to pay child support. Or, if the father wants the kid but the woman decides to abort, the father has no say in the matter and loses a potential kid.

My wife works in child support enforcement for the county we live in. There is practically ZERO CHANCE of a man getting out of paying child support. No way. If that kid is born, whether you wanted it or not, you will be paying child support until the kid is 18 or 19 years old, depending on the state and/or circumstance. Sure, you can sign away your parental rights, but all that means is you won't ever get to see the kid or be forced to take some kind of partial custody. Doesn't mean you get out of child support, that keeps going. And in some states, the child support laws are so draconian, that you could get stuck paying child support for someone else's kid. There was a story posted here, don't remember exactly when, about a guy who fathered a kid, the woman told him it was his, and he was doing the right thing by paying the child support. Years later he finds out she lied, but because he didn't contest paternity immediately, not only did he lose all that money he already paid in support, but he was required to keep paying it until the kid turned 18.

In the abortion debate, the man will lose every single time. Either there's a kid that he doesn't want but the woman refuses to get an abortion and the guy will be paying child support for the next 18/19 years, or, the guy wants to keep the baby and wants to have a kid but the woman decides to abort it and there's nothing he can do about it. But tell me again how limiting abortion is ruining the reproductive rights of women.

/rant

EDIT: with this all said, I think the law in Alabama goes too far

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-17-2019), RBP (05-16-2019)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    You know its bad when Pat Robertson is against it

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-17-2019), RBP (05-16-2019)

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    this is what happens when bible bashing retards are given power

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    this is what happens when bible bashing retards are given power
    bashing or waving?

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    well, i did say bashing, butit doesnt make a difference really does it

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    well, i did say bashing, butit doesnt make a difference really does it
    Yeah, actually it does, because they're two opposing camps.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.