Thread: Judge says parents can use frozen sperm of their deceased West Point cadet son

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Creepy Judge says parents can use frozen sperm of their deceased West Point cadet son

The Associated Press

The parents of a 21-year-old West Point cadet fatally injured in a skiing accident can use his frozen sperm to produce a child, a judge ruled while noting potential ethical considerations.

Supreme Court Justice John Colangelo’s ruling, dated Thursday, gives Peter Zhu’s parents the ability to attempt conception with a surrogate mother using their late son’s sperm. The judge said Zhu’s parents have not decided whether they will try to use it.

“At this time, the court will place no restrictions on the use to which Peter’s parents may ultimately put their son’s sperm, including its potential use for procreative purposes,” Colangelo wrote.

Zhu, of Concord, California, died after a ski accident in February at West Point. His parents received court permission to have his sperm retrieved and frozen at the same time he underwent organ donation surgery, but the judge waited until last week to rule on whether they could attempt reproduction. The sperm is preserved at a sperm bank.

Colangelo said he found no restrictions in state or federal law. He noted that few courts have addressed the issue of posthumous reproduction, but those who have addressed it used the decedent’s intent as a deciding factor. He cited a 2008 case where a court ordered destruction of a man’s sperm according to his written request during his lifetime, despite his widow’s claim to the sperm as her property.

Monica Minzhi Yao, Zhu’s mother, said Monday that the family wants privacy and will not comment on the case. “We are extremely devastated over this freak accident,” she said. “Our pain is something that no words can describe.”

And while Colangelo left the decision of what to do with Zhu’s sperm up to his family, he noted there may be other obstacles including the reluctance of some doctors to assist for ethical reasons.

Typically, court cases involving posthumous reproduction are filed by surviving spouses, not parents. But Zhu’s case isn’t unprecedented.

In 2007, a court in Iowa authorized recovery of a man’s sperm by his parents to donate to his fiance for future procreative use. In 2009, a Texas woman got a judge’s permission to have her 21-year-old son’s sperm extracted after his death, with the intention of hiring a surrogate mother to bear her a grandchild.

In 2018, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine issued ethical guidelines for fertility centers on posthumous collection of reproductive tissue. The organization said it’s justifiable if authorized in writing by the deceased. Otherwise, it said, programs should only consider requests from the surviving spouse or partner.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I hate this so much. Fucked up.

My wife and I were talking and she said "I mean maybe I can see if it's a wife wanting her husband's sperm..." I said fuck no, you don't get that call, I'm fucking dead It's creepy, it's not consensual, and it can't be healthy for the psyche of anyone involved. This is ridiculous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (05-22-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Not consensual? You're dead. You're in a state of not being able to give or deny consent. I'm not saying doing this is a good thing, I'm saying the argument of consent is irrelevant.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    This is just weird

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Not consensual? You're dead. You're in a state of not being able to give or deny consent. I'm not saying doing this is a good thing, I'm saying the argument of consent is irrelevant.
    I guess to clarify, I don't mean consent in the sexual way, I mean it as in I believe that legally I thought you'd have to consent while you're alive to donate body parts in the event of your death, at least in my province.

My agreement says:

What organs can you donate? (check the boxes)

Organs to donate include:
    Heart.
    Liver.
    Pancreas.
    Lungs.
    Kidneys.
    Intestines.

Tissues to donate include:
    Corneas.
    Skin.
    Heart valves.
    Bone.
    Blood vessels.
    Connective tissues, such as tendons.

You can agree to give these parts either for transplants, or for science.

I don't see sperm on there, and certainly not for the purposes of pro-creation. I'm sure this judge had his reasons in his state, but I'd like to think looking over my organ donor agreement that there's no doubt that I have not agreed to harvesting of my reproductive organs, or use of organs or tissues for procreation.
    Last edited by Godfather; 05-23-2019 at 06:17 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Are you the only male in your family? Is your family really gung-ho about continuing the family line? Could be the case here. Maybe the kid was their only son and the kid's father was an only son and they're really adamant about continuing the family line? Maybe they expected the kid to do that and maybe he was aware of it before he died?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.