Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $100,000 Buried Treasure is Hidden in Each of Three Canadian Cities

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Treasure $100,000 Buried Treasure is Hidden in Each of Three Canadian Cities

Paul Seaburn - Mysterious Universe

If you live in Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, get ready for hordes of get-rich-quickers to descend on your cities looking for $100,000 in gold and silver that’s buried somewhere within your city limits. You can look for it too – all you need to do is pay (uh-oh – sounds like a scam, doesn’t it?) $25 for a map or $45 for a map and a set of clues, wait until June 1st to get them and then start digging! Or should you be lifting and looking under things instead? Hey … buy your own set of clues!

1. GET YOUR TREASURE MAP
    Step One is to purchase your treasure map. There are limited maps available, so get yours now before they’re all gone.
    2. GET A BOOST
    There are 5 bonus clues available. Armed with these, you’ll can do more sleuthing!
    3. FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
    The community is growing and the culture is welcoming people from all walks of life! Get in on the conversations!
    4. READY… SET… START YOUR ADVENTURE!
    The map will be released at 12:01am on Saturday, June 1st 2019. Grab your map and your thinking cap! The hunt begins!!

Those are the simple instructions on the website of Goldhunt, which says they’re just a group of friends and private investors who are “passionate about the thrill of the hunt.” Of course, they’re hoping to make a profit and spokesperson Chris Cromwell told CTV News Vancouver that, based on the revenue potential, they’re planning to expand to more Canadian cities and bury up to a million dollars Canadian for future hunts.

“Your map will include a poem which contains a series of riddles and encrypted messaging that will make your job of finding the treasure more active and engaging. There are 5 additional clues consisting of hints, riddles, poems and reference points that are not available to those who purchase just the map. The clues can expedite your hunt and ensure your success in finding the treasure.”

That makes this sound more like a kiddie treasure hunt, but the rules state that kids can help but are not eligible to win. That also goes for non-Canadian citizens because of “the potential legalities of bringing a treasure across international borders.” The FAQs also warn overly enthusiastic hunters that they won’t need heavy equipment to find the actual treasure chest buried in each city – just a shovel and a map – and to please stay off of private property and call the local utility before digging.

Speaking of lawsuits, the group’s attorneys checked with Alberta Gaming Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC) and it determined the treasure hunt does not require a gaming license because it’s more of a contest or competition. There’s also no time limit to finding the treasure, which for safety reasons is actually a few coins and a certificate entitling the finder (once they also prove they actually bought a map) to $100,000. Also, for “safety” reasons, the organizers are remaining anonymous. Perhaps they’re worried about people dying trying to find the gold, like the five dead so far looking for the Fenn Treasure?

Is this a scam? The site claims everything is legitimate, there definitely is a treasure and they recognize they could lose money if not enough people buy maps and clues. What about dealing with cheaters or disputes? The organizers showed how different their country is with this response:

“Although it is a possibility, it is not a probability. If it happens like in any situation the best judgement between parties should be exercised. We’re Canadians. Our team is hopeful that good nature and humanity shines through in a situation like this.”

Good luck with that, eh?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Saw this on the local news. I saw the 25 dollar map option and 45 for a map and five clues.

So these guys have to sell at least 4000 maps or approx 2200 map & clues.

There's a disconnect here that's bothering me Do they only provide one map and one group of five clues or can you get additional info buying in a few times?

And they say to stay off private property and call the power company before digging. There's going to be some issues here for sure

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's in Calgary and Vancouver....you and GF need to get in on this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They interviewed the guy and in the background they show a couple of guys with shovels digging a shallow hole putting the chest in. Looks like someone's back yard

Then he coyly says - We may have had to get permission from the authorities (public park) or otherwise (private residence) to bury the chest.

The thing that's bothering me is I think the format is what I said above. You only get one map or map and clues and there's no further purchases to be made that could give hunters more information.

So either you get it with the initial map purchased or you don't.

Which in my mind, implies lots of people making lotsa random holes

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yes, it sounds like the only options are map only OR map and clues, there's nothing else you can buy, which makes sense because they don't want to make it TOO easy. I'm guessing if you are good at puzzle solving, you should be able to do it with the map alone or else they wouldn't give that as an option.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yes, it sounds like the only options are map only OR map and clues, there's nothing else you can buy, which makes sense because they don't want to make it TOO easy. I'm guessing if you are good at puzzle solving, you should be able to do it with the map alone or else they wouldn't give that as an option.
    And it's this format that's going to make it a shitfest.

Either no one gets it because the info is too sparse and then wait for the complaints...or someone gets it before they even sell their necessary 4000 maps. They have to sell at least 5000 maps (125k) or more to make the process at least lucrative.

And they don't need a gaming license because it's not a guaranteed prize scenario like a lottery. So those guys need a few things to line up before talking about more hunts with larger chests.

I keep thinking back to the places they could actually bury it. Not sure on the rules about digging in public parks. On the other hand, our city has tons of green space in and around it that's not close to homes or businesses, so they could find one of those spots and hide it easily.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Just buy a damn map already!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Trust me my friend I've considered it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nice, then we can split the profits 60/40

And don't negotiate, I won't possibly allow you to take a fraction of a percent less than 40

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Nice, then we can split the profits 60/40

And don't negotiate, I won't possibly allow you to take a fraction of a percent less than 40
    You bring the shovel

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    You bring the shovel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (05-23-2019), lost in melb. (05-26-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They mention in the rules that the person that finds it must have a map.

What's to stop a person from fluking out, digging the thing up and buying a map 10 seconds later?

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    I was talking to a canadian woman from vancouver yesterday, she was on holiday down my neck of the woods for some reason. Really nice lady even though she initially pissed me off by sitting next to and talking to me on a train.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    I was talking to a canadian woman from vancouver yesterday, she was on holiday down my neck of the woods for some reason. Really nice lady even though she initially pissed me off by sitting next to and talking to me on a train.
    You should have started hitting her so she has a story to take home about British strangers

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    It's in Calgary and Vancouver....you and GF need to get in on this.
    It does sound kind of fun, I'm terrible with maps and clues though so I'll let other Vancouverites have a go at this