Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

Interesting Chernobyl

Just in case people don't want radiation and death conversations sprinkled though the TV thread....

I don't know how much more I want to talk about it, but is there any sound more terrifying than a Geiger counter going crazy?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I'm watching the first episode and I'm catching myself absolutely wide-eyed and slack-jawed with the abject stupidity of everyone involved thus far... if this is how it actually went down.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Great show so far, I'm two episodes in and hooked. Well produced, well acted, eerie and bleak.

Watched a couple docs on Chernobyl this weekend and read a few articles comparing the show to real life. They've definitely taken some creative liberties here and there, embellished events and characters (the hele crashs never happened, they never really believed the water tanks below the reactor detonating was as big a threat as it's said to be in the tv show). The deliberations with Gorbachev and his counsel also spanned more than just a few minutes with only two scientists, they were apparently hours and hours and involving many scientists, so they boiled that down for the sake of TV. I've seen a fair bit of praise for it by historians too though, and some photo comparisons show how accurate they got the plant.

I was basically yelling at my TV too, the Party speak shit is so infuriating and sad. In the show, Anatoly Dyatlov is the man in charge at the time of the meltdown and portrayed as an absolute fool, one dimensional, party line tower, totally in denial. Zero Hour: Disaster at Chernobyl (Discovery Channel) and some other sources describe him as one of the USSR's top nuclear engineers, but also 'a creature of the communist system that raised him' and under significant political pressure. After some reading I think it's fair to say his story is more complicated than in the show, and that flaws and long term systemic issues and cover-ups with nuclear power and the Chernobyl plant in the USSR were also huge factors on top of human error in the control room... but still Dyatlov completely ignored his men and guidelines that night for the sake of politics, and it seems to reflect how hierarchical communication worked in the USSR overall which the show portrays. Horrific stuff.
    Last edited by Godfather; 05-26-2019 at 11:55 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-27-2019), RBP (05-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How do you guys feel about the actors not even bothering to attempt to speak Russian, or even use Russian accents?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    How do you guys feel about the actors not even bothering to attempt to speak Russian, or even use Russian accents?
    I think they've altered a bit. The head party dude is a Scandinavian actor, so he sounds more the part.

I think it would be too complicated as they would be speaking Russian, Ukranian and Belarusian

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    @Gf

I think you already knew, but they kinda amalgamated 100s of scientists into that female scientist

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Doesn't bother me, I fired it on without know much about the show and thought to myself 'I don't feel like reading subtitles today, or listening to bad Russian accents,' and low and behold that's exactly what they did

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "We're asking for your permission to kill three men."

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I don't know how much more I want to talk about it, but is there any sound more terrifying than a Geiger counter going crazy?
    A Geiger counter going crazy in the dark, then silence.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Im hearing a lot of chatter about this show..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Great show so far, I'm two episodes in and hooked. Well produced, well acted, eerie and bleak.

Watched a couple docs on Chernobyl this weekend and read a few articles comparing the show to real life. They've definitely taken some creative liberties here and there, embellished events and characters (the hele crashs never happened, they never really believed the water tanks below the reactor detonating was as big a threat as it's said to be in the tv show). The deliberations with Gorbachev and his counsel also spanned more than just a few minutes with only two scientists, they were apparently hours and hours and involving many scientists, so they boiled that down for the sake of TV. I've seen a fair bit of praise for it by historians too though, and some photo comparisons show how accurate they got the plant.

I was basically yelling at my TV too, the Party speak shit is so infuriating and sad. In the show, Anatoly Dyatlov is the man in charge at the time of the meltdown and portrayed as an absolute fool, one dimensional, party line tower, totally in denial. Zero Hour: Disaster at Chernobyl (Discovery Channel) and some other sources describe him as one of the USSR's top nuclear engineers, but also 'a creature of the communist system that raised him' and under significant political pressure. After some reading I think it's fair to say his story is more complicated than in the show, and that flaws and long term systemic issues and cover-ups with nuclear power and the Chernobyl plant in the USSR were also huge factors on top of human error in the control room... but still Dyatlov completely ignored his men and guidelines that night for the sake of politics, and it seems to reflect how hierarchical communication worked in the USSR overall which the show portrays. Horrific stuff.
    I read there weren't that many liberties taken. Of course they would have to summarize the Gorby interactions and there were a lot more than two scientists contributing. They were just a face for a larger group.

One of the things I found out was the three guys who went in to release the water (flashlights going out) lived quite a while after. One guy died in 2005, the other two may still be alive.

Also read that it was accurate in the sense that when Dyatlov and his crew were doing the safety test, they did screw the procedures up, over and above the technical fault they found in those types of reactors that contributed to the accident.

Fun fact...still 10 of the exact same type of reactors at work today in Russia.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Im hearing a lot of chatter about this show..
    There's a whole lot of syndicate News in my feed about Chernobyl coming to light. Not the show, the actual thing. Whole topics been opened like an old can of worms

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Love how have named the different sections of roof as they strategize to find a path to the core to try and cover it.. Two hours there, your dead, one hour there you're dead... And the worst one, 'Martha'... 2 minutes and your life expectancy is cut in half. 3 minutes in full protective gear and you're dead. Circuits shredded in seconds, so robots won't work

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-29-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (06-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Go door to door. They're mostly pets, so they'll probably be happy to see you.

Jesus, that was so hard to watch. I almost cried.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-29-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (06-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Go door to door. They're mostly pets, so they'll probably be happy to see you.

Jesus, that was so hard to watch. I almost cried.
    I was going to mention a warning for episode 4 because there's a lot of dog owners here.

I noticed the juxtaposition of the clean up on the roof and the pet 'clean up'.

Reading further tells horrible things like all of the plants, grass and topsoil should of been removed. Every metal object left behind in apartments and homes.

The list is enormous and skeptics say not even half of it was done.