Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Chernobyl

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Damn goofy, that's incredibly interesting. Has he ever given interviews? I'd be fascinated to see a documentary about that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Thanks Goof.

I assume they found corpses? If it's the story I remember the crew was stuck down there for a long time.
    Oh yes - as i said, he's a bit nuts anyway so it didn't faze him........ think most of us wouldve had nightmares for years after seeing what those divers saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Damn goofy, that's incredibly interesting. Has he ever given interviews? I'd be fascinated to see a documentary about that.
    Not as far as im aware. As i said, he and his team were never meant to be onboard the sub, just to gain entry for the Russian team...... i assume they all had to sign non-disclosure agreements but ive never actually asked him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (06-19-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I just read an article by a reporter from The Guardian who was there in the late 80's and 1990. He went with a photographer and the censorship is more than real.

Mice with six toes and weird teeth, incidents of cancer rose immediately to alarming rates, people in hospitals dying within weeks and months...it was horrible.

In the Red forest they uprooted trees that were glowing and root systems curved wildly or didn't grow at all.

The estimate from real scientists (outside of the communist party bloc) is some parts of the land will be livable in 30 to 24000 years. That's quite the ranged estimate.

Part of how Russia kept their '31 people died' official death toll was from citing that cancers and illness after the accident had no baseline to compare against - Translated - Authorities claimed cancer can be caused by other factors and who's to say how Boris developed liver cancer?

The reporter visited people in the hospital and saw the effects of radiation exposure. His photographer developed lung cancer and has already died. The people who lived in Pripyat stayed there for almost three days before the evacuations started, often playing and working outside while the radioactive cloud hovered over Chernobyl.

It's been reported that the cloud traveled to other parts of Europe during the ensuing months as they were attempting to build the sarcophagus over reactor four, and those countries lied to their people about possibly hazardous effects. As far away as Spain.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-19-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts
    It's amazing just how secretive they were able to keep this. I was a junior/senior in high school when it happened, and we really didn't talk much about it because no one really knew just how bad this was back then.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It's amazing just how secretive they were able to keep this. I was a junior/senior in high school when it happened, and we really didn't talk much about it because no one really knew just how bad this was back then.
    Guy in this article claims that during the first few years after the accident, parts of the Russian Government were adjusting the radiometers to be less sensitive.

He said they were walking 10 kms away in 1990 and their detection devices either didn't work at all or made one giant burst, then stopped working.

Another scientist echoed a small part we saw on the TV show. When they realized how saturated the area was they were examining, he said they stopped worrying about protective measures. He likened it to thousands of x-rays within a week and even that was being conservative because no one knew what radiation levels that high would do to the human body.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Guy in this article claims that during the first few years after the accident, parts of the Russian Government were adjusting the radiometers to be less sensitive.

He said they were walking 10 kms away in 1990 and their detection devices either didn't work at all or made one giant burst, then stopped working.

Another scientist echoed a small part we saw on the TV show. When they realized how saturated the area was they were examining, he said they stopped worrying about protective measures. He likened it to thousands of x-rays within a week and even that was being conservative because no one knew what radiation levels that high would do to the human body.
    One thing I haven't seen confirmation on as to whether it was true or not....the West German police robot. Did the Soviets reach out to West Germany and lie to them about the level of radiation to get their robot and then killed it when putting it on that most dangerous roof section?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    One thing I haven't seen confirmation on as to whether it was true or not....the West German police robot. Did the Soviets reach out to West Germany and lie to them about the level of radiation to get their robot and then killed it when putting it on that most dangerous roof section?
    You can google sites that compare what really happened to the show. I did that after watching episode one.

There's conflict though as GF and I both read varying levels of accuracy. Most things I've read since say the show didn't exagerate any of the effects. If anything, they downplayed a lot of what really happened.

The license of using one or two scientists to represent the large group who worked on the problem and the brief scenes with Gorbachev, I don't really consider those things inaccuracies. The helicopter crash was fake as GF mentioned.

There's some dispute about the technical level of knowledge the lead worker Anatoly Dyatlov had. Reports have been confirmed in trials from workers who knew him, who said that previous to the accident he was stubborn, arrogant, not very well liked and did order people to commit actions outside of their training. That book or binder we saw them flipping through in the control room was a very real thing. The Manual..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You can google sites that compare what really happened to the show. I did that after watching episode one.

There's conflict though as GF and I both read varying levels of accuracy. Most things I've read since say the show didn't exagerate any of the effects. If anything, they downplayed a lot of what really happened.

The license of using one or two scientists to represent the large group who worked on the problem and the brief scenes with Gorbachev, I don't really consider those things inaccuracies. The helicopter crash was fake as GF mentioned.

There's some dispute about the technical level of knowledge the lead worker Anatoly Dyatlov had. Reports have been confirmed in trials from workers who knew him, who said that previous to the accident he was stubborn, arrogant, not very well liked and did order people to commit actions outside of their training. That book or binder we saw them flipping through in the control room was a very real thing. The Manual..
    I read that there really was a helicopter crash, it just happened much later in the timeline. The producers wanted to add it to the scene to make people aware of just what was happening and how dangerous it was.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (06-20-2019)