Thread: Big Tech is Big Brother

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Big Tech is Big Brother

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (06-08-2019), Pony (06-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    This is interesting in the way where 1984 or classic censorship bodies were typically conservative leaning and/or restricted values based on Right wing viewpoints.

This guy above is talking about Leftist views and how the big tech corps are enforcing those ideals. Which they are. I've read about shadow banning for Twitter users and some of the origins come from one or two comments made pertaining to gay or trans rights. No death threats or even rants, just one or two comments saying they don't agree with a certain view.

What scares me 10 times more are the hardware/software implications. It may have changed but I watched my brother initialize an iPad and a new iPhone and the first thing it wanted to do was to catalog and create libraries of everything available on his current devices. Then it set up the cloud account and told him about regular back ups of info.

It seemed to me he just turned on two devices that would now track and catalog his every interaction. And organize his photos/vids into neato folder structures based on date.

One step further...I have a Youtube account but don't log into it when viewing videos. My browser is set to clear the cache every time it's closed and I use private surfing mode. I also use a program to clean my temp files. Yet when I go to the main Youtube site it remembers my past choices and makes suggestions based on those. It's creating a form of a persistent info cookie that must attach itself to my IP regardless.

If there's one thing that frightens me more than what the gentleman above was explaining, which is basically tracking and censorship...it's the idea that the things I view and talk about on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and general activities through Google are all put into this info-packet about me and other people can access it. One of the reasons I've never made a Twitter account. One throwaway joke comment from 2011 can help a person lose their job.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I use an email address set up specifically for Youtube/Google related junk. It's not tied to anything else that I do online. I've been doing shit like that since the late 90s, way before Google became the huge digital powerhouse that it's grown into. I think I have something like 20 separate email addresses that I use for different things online. I use different browsers for different things as well.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I use an email address set up specifically for Youtube/Google related junk. It's not tied to anything else that I do online. I've been doing shit like that since the late 90s, way before Google became the huge digital powerhouse that it's grown into. I think I have something like 20 separate email addresses that I use for different things online. I use different browsers for different things as well.
    I've got a few tiers of email addresses too

Sometimes I'll even us https://temp-mail.org/en/ to have a quick temporary email. You can send and receive from it for a short amount of time. Works great when you want to sign up for some b.s. website and need to verify a log-in, but don't actually want to give them your personal info.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've used that on more than one occasion, and others, to check out some of the more seedy shit that I've run into online.