Thread: Snapchat Gender Swap Used to Catch Cop Who Was Allegedly Looking to Hook Up With Underage Girl

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Busted Snapchat Gender Swap Used to Catch Cop Who Was Allegedly Looking to Hook Up With Underage Girl

Jennings Brown - Gizmodo

A 20-year-old college student used the Snapchat gender-swap filter to catfish a cop on Tinder, in a creative act of vigilante justice.

NBC Bay Area reported on Tuesday that the student told police that he set out to find potential pedophiles after his friend told him she was sexually assaulted during her childhood.

Ethan (last name withheld by NBC, out of concern for his safety) used the Snapchat gender-swap filter to make a photo of himself appearing as a girl. Then he used the photo in a fake Tinder profile for “Esther.” Esther’s listed age on the dating app was 19, according to the San Jose Police Department.

Then a man messaged Esther. Ethan told NBC he thinks the message was “Are you down to have some fun tonight?”

“I decided to take advantage of it,” Ethan told the news station.

They moved the conversation to Kik—where “Esther” told the person that she was actually 16-years-old—then moved the conversation to Snapchat, according to San Jose police. On Snapchat the two allegedly spoke about having sexual relations.

According to NBC, that person messaging Esther was San Mateo police officer Robert Davies who is 40-years-old.

San Jose police, who later reviewed screenshots of the conversation, reportedly told NBC that Davies was not concerned that he was speaking explicitly to someone he believed to be 16.

San Jose detectives began investigating Davies last month, soon after Ethan tipped off Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers, according to San Jose police. Police arrest Davies on June 6. He faces charges of contacting a minor to commit a felony.

In a statement released last week the San Mateo Police Department said it put Davies on paid administrative leave as soon as it found out about the investigation. “This alleged conduct, if true, is in no way a reflection of all that we stand for as a Department, and is an affront to the tenets of our department and our profession as a whole,” San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer said in the statement.

Gizmodo asked San Mateo Police for comment on the news that Davies’ was arrested after he interacted with a fake Tinder account and the department sent the same statement issued last week.

This is not the first report of someone using the Snapchat filter to catfish others, but it perhaps it will usher in a new trend of people using filters to catfish for good instead of evil.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,838 Times in 8,177 Posts
    Some of those ladyboys in Thailand scare the shit out of me. They look good without the filter

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    "Out of concern for his safety" with his picture right below it.

Ya'll know this ain't right, but have your fake vigilante party.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    "Out of concern for his safety" with his picture right below it.

Ya'll know this ain't right, but have your fake vigilante party.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    He faces charges of contacting a minor to commit a felony.
    What minor did he contact to commit a felony? Where's the victim? Not to mention that this wasn't even a police sting, just some dude.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-14-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    What minor did he contact to commit a felony? Where's the victim? Not to mention that this wasn't even a police sting, just some dude.
    intent was there.. You and I will have to agree to disagree.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    I have known all of you for a long while now, it's time I told you all a secret. I'm really only 12 years old and you all have been showing me explicit pictures. I'm sorry but I am gonna turn the evidence over to the police.

While I see the police doing stings as a necessary evil which is carefully structured to stay within the law, I do not agree with a social justice warrior doing this. This "kid" clearly lied,baited and manipulated the situation just so he could "bust" someone. How do we know he didn't edit the conversations before turning them over? Change the sequence of events? Not defending the cop here but I really think this could set a bad precedent going forward.

Kinda like going to a bar, meeting a girl who has ID that shows she's 22, taking her home and the next day she says she's underage and it was her sisters ID, she goes to the cops and claims she told you her real age BEFORE you took her home. Cops investigate and find out she is really 22 but since she "told" you she was 16, you go to jail.
    Last edited by Pony; 06-14-2019 at 01:28 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-16-2019), lost in melb. (06-15-2019), RBP (06-15-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (06-14-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Besides, anyone who's been around knows, there are no 14, 15, or 16 year old girls on the internet, only cops

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I have known all of you for a long while now, it's time I told you all a secret. I'm really only 12 years old and you all have been showing me explicit pictures. I'm sorry but I am gonna turn the evidence over to the police.

While I see the police doing stings as a necessary evil which is carefully structured to stay within the law, I do not agree with a social justice warrior doing this. This "kid" clearly lied,baited and manipulated the situation just so he could "bust" someone. How do we know he didn't edit the conversations before turning them over? Change the sequence of events? Not defending the cop here but I really think this could set a bad precedent going forward.

Kinda like going to a bar, meeting a girl who has ID that shows she's 22, taking her home and the next day she says she's underage and it was her sisters ID, she goes to the cops and claims she told you her real age BEFORE you took her home. Cops investigate and find out she is really 22 but since she "told" you she was 16, you go to jail.
    The odd part about that scenario is is doesn't matter. If she's 16, you're guilty. So the law that includes "someone you believed to be" underaged as a basis for guilt, does not make the same distinction for "someone you believed to be" of age.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    intent was there.. You and I will have to agree to disagree.
    So thought crimes perpetrated by vigilante imposters is okay with you. Yeah, we can definitely agree to disagree.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Muddy (06-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    I think the department has the right to sack him for his conduct, but not issue criminal charges.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Pony (06-15-2019), RBP (06-15-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (06-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,838 Times in 8,177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post

I'm actually a 79 yr old woman

Thelma-9000

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-15-2019)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What is the age of consent in your nation?

- edit
    I say this as in the UK 16 is the age of consent.
    There are variations however, if someone is younger than 18/19 and still under instruction, such as teachers etc.
    One can shag a 16 year old, but it would be an offense to make a picture of one, or indeed view a picture of one.

It is a component of law I frankly thinks needs major clarification and change.
    Last edited by Hikari Kisugi; 06-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-16-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    What is the age of consent in your nation?

- edit
    I say this as in the UK 16 is the age of consent.
    There are variations however, if someone is younger than 18/19 and still under instruction, such as teachers etc.
    One can shag a 16 year old, but it would be an offense to make a picture of one, or indeed view a picture of one.

It is a component of law I frankly thinks needs major clarification and change.
    The age of consent is set by the individual states and territories (i.e. Washington D.C.), with all being either 16, 17, or 18. Most states have a close-in-age gap exception and other conditional laws, although they're kind of complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_o..._United_States

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hikari Kisugi (06-16-2019), RBP (06-16-2019)