Thread: Refurbished items

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Question Refurbished items

What's everyone's views on buying refurbs? Especially electronics? Supposedly they have been repaired and re-certified to be just as good as new, and usually you save a bunch of money over buying the same thing brand new. Plus most refurbished things come with the same limited warranty you would have gotten with a new product.

Discuss.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    It depends on what you buy and where you get it from. In some cases, refurbs go through a more rigorous testing process to ensure functionality and performance, and in other cases, they don't.

I don't have a problem with buying a refurb from Dell (I got a laptop from their Outlet website that works perfectly fine), but I've read nightmarish accounts in other cases with different companies.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Something keeps me away from buying refurbed electronics. Maybe the idea someone has maybe pooched it once and I'm getting the used rebuild.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I think most refurbs nowadays are something somebody ordered, they got it and it didn't work, so they sent it back and the refurb department figures out which circuit component(s) are defective, they replace it(them), then they go through the testing phase and put it back out to market.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (06-27-2019)

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    It really depends on the source. I have bought and recommend IBM refurbished laptops from them (Lenovo). I know the multi-step process they go through, and I know they clean the stuff as well and the warranty is good too.

I'd say, phone the company of whatever you are contemplating and ask them their process of refurbishing. If it's some schmuck just doing it, I'd feel better if it was a manufacturer's refurbishment as they have better access to parts, etc.

If it's a computer you're looking at, ask if they have a CompTia A+ certification -- that'll make them sweat! I've got that - it certifies you to repair stuff. Not necessary but it is an accreditation.

I've gone through TigerDirect.ca and got a good DVD player back in the day, as well as a radio from them and it was fine. My latest Lenovo laptop was $330 and I happen to know it was $1200 new. It's about 3 years old. My wife's laptop died after 5 years - motherboard. Would've cost $300 for the parts alone. I got her a basic refurbished one for about $300 which is the same spec and if the Ram or Hard Drive fails, I can put the ones from the old dead one in to replace.

The IBM refurb I got was an ex-lease. This is how goverments have their PCs...about a year after the warranty runs out, they replace and the unit gets resold as a refurbish.
    Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 06-27-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Noilly Pratt For This Useful Post:

Goofy (06-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Something keeps me away from buying refurbed electronics. Maybe the idea someone has maybe pooched it once and I'm getting the used rebuild.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I think most refurbs nowadays are something somebody ordered, they got it and it didn't work, so they sent it back and the refurb department figures out which circuit component(s) are defective, they replace it(them), then they go through the testing phase and put it back out to market.
    That's how I look at them. It was a product that was DOA for someone. They send it back, and the manufacturer rebuilds it for re-sale.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt View Post
    It really depends on the source. I have bought and recommend IBM refurbished laptops from them (Lenovo). I know the multi-step process they go through, and I know they clean the stuff as well and the warranty is good too.

I'd say, phone the company of whatever you are contemplating and ask them their process of refurbishing. If it's some schmuck just doing it, I'd feel better if it was a manufacturer's refurbishment as they have better access to parts, etc.

If it's a computer you're looking at, ask if they have a CompTia A+ certification -- that'll make them sweat! I've got that - it certifies you to repair stuff. Not necessary but it is an accreditation.

I've gone through TigerDirect.ca and got a good DVD player back in the day, as well as a radio from them and it was fine. My latest Lenovo laptop was $330 and I happen to know it was $1200 new. It's about 3 years old. My wife's laptop died after 5 years - motherboard. Would've cost $300 for the parts alone. I got her a basic refurbished one for about $300 which is the same spec and if the Ram or Hard Drive fails, I can put the ones from the old dead one in to replace.
    It would be from Amazon, so I don't know if they do their own (possible) or they send it back to the manufacturer (more likely).

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It would be from Amazon, so I don't know if they do their own (possible) or they send it back to the manufacturer (more likely).
    Amazon will cover the product, the company that refurbs (Dell for instance) is done by a 3rd party. I just bought a couple all in ones and had the convo with Amazon because it looks like its coming from them, until you check out and its from a 3rd party

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Amazon will cover the product, the company that refurbs (Dell for instance) is done by a 3rd party. I just bought a couple all in ones and had the convo with Amazon because it looks like its coming from them, until you check out and its from a 3rd party
    Yeah, I just found this on Amazon:

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    I bought a refurbed gaming headset through amazon a couple of years back, saved me about £50 iirc and it still works perfectly Provided you're getting warranty with it i don't have any problems.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, I just found this on Amazon:

But "we" isn't necessarily Amazon

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    If its manufacture refurbished I'm all over it. At that point more often than not its better than new and has the same warranty. My first Marantz Pre/Pro I bought manufacture refurbished over 6 years ago. I have upgraded my home theater since then but I still use it in my living room.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    FUCK AMAZON..!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I bought my Chromebook from Amazon, refurbished. The first one was shit, but I followed the company's instructions and email recommendations. It didn't change the issue. I had a new one the next day and no cost one the return. The replacement is awesome.

My overall experience has been similar. It is hit and miss, but plan to be picky and immediately handle a defect and you'll be fine.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I haven't bought anything major refurbished personally, I'm a bit of a purist, I want shit brand new all for myself

My dad bought a high end espresso machine refurbished years ago that's amazing though so I'd think of doing that.

One place I've bought from though is Open Box. Nothing really high end but my second computer monitor, and the tv in our second bedroom are from there. They've been great, you don't get a massive savings usually but a decent discount for a product that's supposedly just returned to a big box store like Best Buy and can't be re-sold there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-28-2019)