Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Cook Rice?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts

Food Best Way to Cook Rice?

First of all shut the hell up I realize grown men should know basic cooking.

I typically make instant rice. Contrary to the bad rep, it is real rice and they add nutrients back into it after they change the molecular structure.

Every time I've made real rice...either long grain white, long grain brown, parboiled or medium grain...it hasn't turned out well.

If you google how to cook rice there's 314 million results and the same amount of differing methods.

~~~~~

Without using a rice cooker, what is your way of cooking a normal batch of rice?

Internet says: 1 cup rice = 1.5 to 2 cups salted water.
    Bring water to a boil then put on lid after stirring once, heat down to lowest setting, don't touch for 15 to 20 minutes.

There's all sorts of variations

The ratio of rice to water.
    Do you put the rice in before you boil the water or after?
    I've tried three lowest settings on my stove. I've had mushy, dry, clumpy-chewy rice. How low is low?
    Do you let it simmer untouched for 15 or 20 minutes. 17.5?
    Some sites say leave it in the pan for an extra 15 minutes with the lid on after simmering to absorb more water.

Parboiled rice is supposed to have more vitamins and nutrients than normal white long grain and basmati rice. Yet it keeps coming out sticky or gooey

I have a 2 kg bag of parboiled rice and don't want to make chewy orphanage rice, thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I have the boil in a bag rice. Makes it really easy. I'm not messing around with that guessing game crap. If I had to do it the hard way, I'd kidnap an Asian and make her do it for me.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I have the boil in a bag rice. Makes it really easy. I'm not messing around with that guessing game crap. If I had to do it the hard way, I'd kidnap an Asian and make her do it for me.
    We have similar but they're pretty close to instant or converted rice, which isn't a bad thing. The more instant or easy type of rices get knocked for being Chernobylized, or less healthy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What kind of rice is it?

Don't add salt to your water until after it's come to a roiling boil. Adding salt to water raises water's boiling point and you'll be waiting around all day.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (07-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My Dad had this old canvas bag of Rooster rice. I screwed it up enough times to start using instant rice.

Rooster is a common brand here but what I didn't know was that it was short grained and had added starch, which equates to true sticky rice. Each and every effin time

I must have tried every water/rice ration, every cooking time and method, and probably threw out at least 7 pans of slop

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What kind of rice is it?

Don't add salt to your water until after it's come to a roiling boil. Adding salt to water raises water's boiling point and you'll be waiting around all day.
    I've used everything from Rooster to no name brand and usually white long grain to start.

Every time I've made brown rice it turned out chewy.

Parboiled has less starch than white rice but more nutrients put into the grain as they dehusk it, so it's supposed to cook easier and be better for you. My parboiled is no name right now and I haven't opened the package yet..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What kind of rice is it?

What about the rice?

Do I let it luxuriate as the water warms up like in a hot tub or do I shock it by throwing it in the roiling boil?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've made passable dishes of rice but never like the old take-out stuff that was light and fluffy. Man I could eat piles of that stuff.

I really like chicken fried rice too and have yet to make anything comparable to the take-out version.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I can feel Asian people laughing at me

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    According to what I'm reading online, you have to rinse your rice. Put the rice in a pot and fill it up with cold water, drag your fingers through the rice in the water several times, and then strain the water out. The water should be opaque looking from the excess starch you're trying to get rid of. You do that 3 or 4 times or until the water you strain out runs clear. That's how you avoid sticky rice.

According to what I'm reading, you boil 1 and 3/4 cup of water per cup of rice. And you need to put a lid on it. Stir once to separate, but don't break it up. Fluff the rice with a fork.

Or kidnap an Asian chick and make her do it. Make sure the one you kidnap doesn't know martial arts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (07-05-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    According to what I'm reading online, you have to rinse your rice. Put the rice in a pot and fill it up with water, drag your fingers through the rice in the water several times, and then strain the water out. It should be opaque looking from the excess starch you're trying to get rid of. You do that 3 or 4 times or until the water you strain out runs clear. That's how you avoid sticky rice.

According to what I'm reading, you boil 1 and 3/4 cup of water per cup of rice. And you need to put a lid on it. Stir once to separate, but don't break it up. Fluff the rice with a fork.

Or kidnap an Asian chick and make her do it. Make sure the one you kidnap doesn't know martial arts.
    And then some say don't rinse the rice (some brands you need to such as Basmati and brown rice) because you want the outer layer of starch

Lid is the common thing both with instant and regular rice. Making instant you leave the lid on for 5 or 10 minutes right after turning the heat off to absorb water. It's almost dummy proof.

With real rice some chefs were saying 2:1 ratio, large pot, simmer for 20 minutes with lid on never stirring then leave for another 15 off the heat with the lid on.

I get chewy or mushy rice It must be my pan

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Imma screw up some parboiled right now

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

After rinsing, she throws everything into the cauldron at once and then fires it up.

White rice 18 minutes...brown is a little bit longer, 45 minutes

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    https://www.theloop.ca/5-ways-youre-...ice-all-wrong/

As a rule of thumb, all non-converted (regular, not parboiled rice) varieties of rice should be washed before cooking. Mauer suggests rinsing until the water runs clear and the rice is rid of excess starch.

Converted rice (parboiled rice), however, should not be rinsed. Instead, add rice and a little oil or butter to the cooking pot, and lightly toast it on the stove before adding water.

WTF...we gonna fry the rice dry now?