#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Obvious Canadian Drivers Are Causing Accidents Because They’re Too Nice

By Mack Lamoureux - Vice

North of the border there exists something we Canucks like to call the Canadian Standoff.

This standoff happens when two Canadians encounter some sort of bottleneck at the same time. For example's sake, let us say there is a door that two nice inhabitants of the great white north come to at the same time. They both stop, look at each other, and gesture for their compatriot to go through.

“Oh-ho, you first, my good sir,” says the first man. “Uh-uh, no, you, my man,” says the second. “Buh-bah, you go now, friendo,” responds the first. From here one will typically go through, the two will have a lil’ chuckle and the standoff will cease to be—it can at times continue onward into a Kafka-esque cycle of niceties but that’s a story for another time. Countless man-hours have been lost due to the Canadian standoffs.

The phenomenon is apparently out of control on the streets of Summerside, PEI, where there has been a rash of accidents. The accidents have been caused by people being too nice, say the city's police force. Apparently, drivers in Canada's smallest province have been yielding their right of way to others and unwittingly sending their fellow drivers to fender bender town. It’s gotten to the point that the police department had to issue a tweet discouraging drivers from yielding.

“Motorists, please don’t be the ‘nice person’ who waves a driver across 2 lanes of traffic,” reads a tweet sent by Summerside Police. “Although you may have good intentions, this leads to collisions!”

The diagram tweeted out by Summerside Police.

They even included a nice little diagram of a nice little driver sending a nice little car right to its doom. Sgt. Jason Blacquiere of the police department told the Canadian Press that most of these accidents are taking place at busy intersections or parking lots.

"It's good intentions, I guess,” he told the outlet. “People are trying to be courteous to other drivers but they are unintentionally creating some very dangerous situations on the roads."

As the Canadian Press reported, this isn’t the first time the scourge of the nice islander has come to PEI. In 2016, the police chief of Charlottetown, the province’s capital, called out his city for being too nice after they caused several accidents in one week.

Blacquiere has said that being nice doesn’t save you from an impending lawsuit or getting slapped with a charge because you caused an accident. Thankfully, at the time of writing, no one has been killed or injured on account of these Canadian drivers unwittingly waving others into oncoming traffic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts
    You know when Canadians reveal their fondness for weapons? Usually during driving situations. This article could not be more wrong

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Noilly Pratt (07-12-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This probably only pertains to PEI

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    This probably only pertains to PEI
    Yeah maybe one small town in PEI

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    Yeah maybe one small town in PEI
    Have you ever been to the maritimes? I've always wanted to visit because I've heard that they all talk funny in those provinces

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Have you ever been to the maritimes? I've always wanted to visit because I've heard that they all talk funny in those provinces
    Farthest east I've been was to Barrie and Toronto, Ontario. I went with my folks the year the CN Tower was built and went to the top myself because my parents didn't like heights.

I remember looking down Yonge Street from the top of the CN Tower and that road goes for literal miles.

We don't have any relatives further east so no reason to go there I guess. Some parts of the maritime provinces are supposed to be beautiful. Real old Cape Cod type fishing villages etc.

No real urge to travel all that way I guess. I've been to the west coast countless times because of the sister and like it there better.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    My wife and her mom are going to the east coast in August, I'm jealous I can't tag along. I hear such great things about Newfoundland. Apparently it's a total blast, great bar scene, and the people are supposed to be wonderful. A podcaster I listen to from Boston said they had a stag there and it was like a mini-down town Boston with all the bars and night life on the water. And so cheap for Americans with the dollar.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    On topic with this thread though, you do see this kind of shit. I don't know that it's unique to Canada, but how irritating is it when someone screws up the rules of the road to be nice? Don't wave me through a stop sign when you got there first, or let me go in front of you at a zipper merge when my lane has just gone. Just follow the laws of the road and everyone will be fine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    On topic with this thread though, you do see this kind of shit. I don't know that it's unique to Canada, but how irritating is it when someone screws up the rules of the road to be nice? Don't wave me through a stop sign when you got there first, or let me go in front of you at a zipper merge when my lane has just gone. Just follow the laws of the road and everyone will be fine.
    A little bit different, I call it 'The Wave'. When someone does something really shitty like coming over three lanes within two seconds cutting you off...then they give you this kind wave as if to say - I just fucked you, thanks!

grrrrr