Thread: Home Theater, A/V and HiFi Chat

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts

My new TV finally arrived.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-31-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

That's ridiculous.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    dropped 3 years salary on that baby?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Got my new theater seating this weekend

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-26-2019), Pony (08-26-2019), RBP (08-30-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (08-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Looking awesome dude, phenomenal work...... but if you don't post updates once those cables are more organized I'm going to have an aneurysm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-30-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,091 Times in 59,905 Posts
    HDMI cords Now I know that everything I have read says that the more expensive cords (especially brands like Monster with cables that are well over $100/each) are rip-offs and there is basically no difference between them and your standard basic cables you can get. But here's what happened to me last weekend. The Roku in the living room started throwing a big error screen when we tried to play something on it.

I did what was suggested at first and it worked...for a few days. Then the error would come up when we tried to use ANY app on the Roku (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc) and wouldn't clear. So I went to Best Buy and their selection of cables isn't really the best, unless you want to spend a fortune. But I didn't want to wait a couple of days to get something from Amazon, so I got some mid priced cables and that cleared up the problem. The cables I replaced were just some basic no-name cables that were inexpensive that I did get from Amazon originally and they should have been compliant. So, is there any truth to the fact that more expensive cables are worth it? I'm not talking about those stupid Monster cables, but like the ones I ended up buying ($30/each) versus the 'basic' brands you can get. Best Buy did have some cheap cables (they were $6.99/each I think, but they weren't even in boxes, just zip lock baggies hanging on a rack, so I passed on those) but I went with the pricier ones instead. Every article I have read on HDMI cables, and all A/V cables in general really, say there's no real difference, but after this error issue on the Roku, it has me wondering.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Looking awesome dude, phenomenal work...... but if you don't post updates once those cables are more organized I'm going to have an aneurysm
    We share similar neurosis.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (08-31-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Finally got around to making my movie poster/acoustic treatments.

Used 1/2" Plywood, glued 2" thick Auralex Mineral Fiber Acoustic Batting then wrapped/stretched my posters that were printed on canvas over them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-07-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Every article I have read on HDMI cables, and all A/V cables in general really, say there's no real difference, but after this error issue on the Roku, it has me wondering.
    My opinion is that every article is correct. sort of. A more expensive cable isn't going to make the picture quality any better. That doesn't necessarily mean that the cables can't be so cheaply made that they don't last. We have cheap cables go bad all the time, Dealing with 150-ish TV's and cable boxes I replace cheap cables all the time, with more cheap cables.

Will a $100 cable outlast a $7 cable? I couldn't tell you. I just know there are some real crappy ones out there and more cost doesn't necessarily mean better.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    HDMI cords Now I know that everything I have read says that the more expensive cords (especially brands like Monster with cables that are well over $100/each) are rip-offs and there is basically no difference between them and your standard basic cables you can get. But here's what happened to me last weekend. The Roku in the living room started throwing a big error screen when we tried to play something on it.

I did what was suggested at first and it worked...for a few days. Then the error would come up when we tried to use ANY app on the Roku (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc) and wouldn't clear. So I went to Best Buy and their selection of cables isn't really the best, unless you want to spend a fortune. But I didn't want to wait a couple of days to get something from Amazon, so I got some mid priced cables and that cleared up the problem. The cables I replaced were just some basic no-name cables that were inexpensive that I did get from Amazon originally and they should have been compliant. So, is there any truth to the fact that more expensive cables are worth it? I'm not talking about those stupid Monster cables, but like the ones I ended up buying ($30/each) versus the 'basic' brands you can get. Best Buy did have some cheap cables (they were $6.99/each I think, but they weren't even in boxes, just zip lock baggies hanging on a rack, so I passed on those) but I went with the pricier ones instead. Every article I have read on HDMI cables, and all A/V cables in general really, say there's no real difference, but after this error issue on the Roku, it has me wondering.
    I've been using Amazon Basic cables as of late. I haven't had one go bad yet (and I've been using them for a few years now), but if I do, I wouldn't mind replacing them. Most of them are less than $20, some less than $10. And they work.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Since its just a bunch of 1s and 0s the cable is really pretty inconsequential. However things seem to be changing quickly and you have to be aware of compatibility issues. with all the different resolution, audio processing, Deep Color, aspect ratios, HDR and HDR10, HDCP, Dolby Vision out there your cable has to be compatible and also have the data transfer rate to keep up. If you want a quality compliant cable look at a company called Monoprice. They really make good stuff a reasonable prices.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Do you think you may be developing a problem, Jay?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Do you think you may be developing a problem, Jay?
    No all my stuff is compatible

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-10-2019)