#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Bond's number is up: black female actor 'is the new 007'

By Steph Harmon - The Guardian

While Daniel Craig is set to reprise his role as James Bond in the next film, the franchise is set for a shake-up, with reports claiming that black British actor Lashana Lynch has been cast as 007 – taking over Bond’s secret agent number after his character leaves M16.

The Mail has quoted from an anonymous “movie insider”, who says that the 25th film opens with Bond (Craig), retired in Jamaica, being called back to action to fight a new villain.

“There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says, “Come in 007”, and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman,” the source said. “It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007.”

Originally from West London, Lynch, 31, made her film debut in 2011’s Fast Girls, but her breakthrough role came earlier this year, as fighter pilot Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel.

The news of her being given Bond’s famous code name has been widely praised on social media, coming weeks after US singer Halle Bailey was cast as Ariel in Disney’s live action remake of the Little Mermaid.

The 25th Bond film – which is being shot in Italy and the UK – has been plagued by difficulties, beginning in October 2015 when Craig said he would “rather slash my wrists” than play Bond again.

In 2017, he confirmed he had relented, but, the same year, director Danny Boyle – who had been brought in to replace Sam Mendes, after Mendes refused to direct any more Bond films – also left, citing a dispute over the script.

American Cary Fukunaga was hired to replace them, and the film cycled through a series of script writers before Craig requested Fleabag’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge – only the second female writer in the history of the franchise – be brought in to polish it up.

Waller-Bridge is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying, “There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not Bond is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women. I think that’s bollocks. I think he’s absolutely relevant now.

“[The franchise] has just got to grow. It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to his character.”

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli told the Guardian last year that there would “never” be a female Bond.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (07-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    And just like that, I never watched another Bond movie.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    wtf..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So when is the remake of Shaft coming out with a white guy in the lead?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-15-2019), fricnjay (07-15-2019), Muddy (07-15-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    In sports, they retire numbers of importance.

I can't think of a more iconic and deserving agent number than 007.

You don't just pass something like that on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    I am SO sick of the racial and gender appropriation of classic characters by Hollywood. Write something new, stop stealing!

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I cant wait for this failure. When will they learn

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    I cant wait for this failure. When will they learn
    It'll be like the recent Ghostbusters redo with all chicks that bombed. They tried to blame the 'patriarchy' of the movie industry and fans said - no, it just sucked

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (07-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Ok ok I can see where this thread has gone but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate

Lashana Lynch is the next 007. She’s not playing Bond,
    I think people are overreacting. She isn't playing Bond. There have been other female Double-0 agents in the Bond universe's Secret Service before. It's also well established the man doesn't own the 00-license, I believe the agents owning various 00-titles has changed several times for example. In this story, it sounds like Bond retires or whatever and a new agent takes his 007 codename/license to kill (which sort of makes sense as Craig is old as fuck and the last Bond movie established his character is beat to hell).

Yes it's a black woman as 007 which is pushing the current SJW agenda to prove inclusiveness... but it's not completely unthinkable within the context of this universe as it were, to have a British black female 00-agent, so I'm not going to feign outrage and boycott what has otherwise been a mostly great run of Bond movies staring Craig (I did boycott Ghostbusters which was brought up for comparison).

My bet is she dies and James Bond takes back over his 007 license for the rest of the movie, then they reboot with a new James Bond/007 and everyone will be mostly happy again. I think I read somewhere it was promised to the family that Bond would always be played by a man.
    Last edited by Godfather; 07-18-2019 at 04:09 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ok ok I can see where this thread has gone but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate

I think people are overreacting. She isn't playing Bond. There have been other female Double-0 agents in the Bond universe's Secret Service before. It's also well established the man doesn't own the 00-license, I believe the agents owning various 00-titles has changed several times for example. In this story, it sounds like Bond retires or whatever and a new agent takes his 007 codename/license to kill (which sort of makes sense as Craig is old as fuck and the last Bond movie established his character is beat to hell).

Yes it's a black woman as 007 which is pushing the current SJW agenda to prove inclusiveness... but it's not completely unthinkable within the context of this universe as it were, to have a British black female 00-agent, so I'm not going to feign outrage and boycott what has otherwise been a mostly great run of Bond movies staring Craig (I did boycott Ghostbusters which was brought up for comparison).

My bet is she dies and James Bond takes back over his 007 license for the rest of the movie, then they reboot with a new James Bond/007 and everyone will be mostly happy again. I think I read somewhere it was promised to the family that Bond would always be played by a man.
    I saw that too and my point is that she's taking the most iconic agent number. I read the Bond stories as a kid before watching the movies and they certainly did not reassign agent numbers, even after one of them died.

What's getting to people (myself included) is that here comes another female of color to take over a specific role that has its own history.

Here's a suggestion. I'm all for women and POC getting jobs formerly held by men, both in front of and behind the camera. But instead of redoing existing characters, some with over 50 years history of being male, how about writing new stories and creating new iconic characters rather than hitching your wagon to existing proven moneymaking creations?

You know what would rock? A new black deadly female agent with the secret ID of 0014 or 0020.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-18-2019), lost in melb. (07-20-2019), Pony (07-18-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (07-18-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (07-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    This is from a forum online and I've seen the source elsewhere talking about Fleming's books.

"M ordered mandatory retirement (or at least reassignment) for 00 agents at 40 (an age which Bond somehow never reached). Their numbers were not reassigned after they left the service."

I think there was a number reassigned in one of the movies, but can't remember the reasoning or explanation for it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I saw that too and my point is that she's taking the most iconic agent number. I read the Bond stories as a kid before watching the movies and they certainly did not reassign agent numbers, even after one of them died.

What's getting to people (myself included) is that here comes another female of color to take over a specific role that has its own history.

Here's a suggestion. I'm all for women and POC getting jobs formerly held by men, both in front of and behind the camera. But instead of redoing existing characters, some with over 50 years history of being male, how about writing new stories and creating new iconic characters rather than hitching your wagon to existing proven moneymaking creations?

You know what would rock? A new black deadly female agent with the secret ID of 0014 or 0020.
    Exactly....and it's not as iconic as Bond is, but it would be the same thing as redoing the Bourne movies, but this time with a female. It's so easy to just write something new for either a female lead or a gay lead or a black lead or anything the SJW's love, so why do they insist on "re-imagining" all these movies and swapping gender and color?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (07-18-2019), lost in melb. (07-20-2019)