Thread: Thieves stole $9 from a girl's lemonade stand for charity. Police and neighbors rallied to give her more than $300

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Cool Thieves stole $9 from a girl's lemonade stand for charity. Police and neighbors rallied to give her more than $300

By Ryan Prior, CNN

(CNN) In late June, 11-year-old Alizay Kashif set up a lemonade stand in her family's neighborhood in Naperville, Illinois, a suburb on the western outskirts of Chicago.

She was selling refreshments to benefit Feeding America, a national network of food banks.

But after she took in nine bucks, a group of teenagers grabbed the money basket and drove off with it. She was devastated.

That's when her father posted on the neighborhood social media platform Nextdoor, explaining how sad his daughter was and asking what he should do about the theft.

Neighbors come to help

Ben Hutchinson was one of the neighbors who read the post. A former journalist, Hutchinson said that the story struck him. "When I was a reporter, I often saw people in bad times, and I couldn't help them." This time, he thought he could step in.

And despite the theft, Alizay and her sister, Emaan, still wanted to use a lemonade stand to raise money for the food bank. "They had a quiet area, not very visible," Hutchinson said. "So I offered them my busy street corner."

A cop showed up to keep watch over the stand this time, telling them, "I think I might have a few friends coming."

Then, a parade of police cars drove up with their lights on and sirens blaring. "The police took it to the next level," Hutchinson said.

Local officers helped collect about $170 to support the charitable enterprise. Along with lemonade sales and some donations on Facebook, the sisters received nearly $350, CNN affiliate WGN reported.

"The parents wanted to teach their kids a lesson about perseverance," Hutchinson said. It worked; the girl's passion helped bring a neighborhood closer together.

Meanwhile, Hutchinson said he's glad he left TV news to spend more time with his own family in Naperville, where he himself grew up.

"This reinforced the same sense of the community that I felt when I was growing up here," he said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-18-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    cunts

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Really tough guys robbing a young girl

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    And right now Alizay's buddies who helped her fake the theft are sharing the 300 from a well executed social media plan