Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost's Tabloid News Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Greta appears to have recovered from her crippling anxiety and child-abusive UN speech

greta-thunberg-says-arnold-schwarzenegger-offered-to-lend-her-his-electric-car

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Is it your opinion that it's totally fine to brainwash an autistic kid and parade her out for your political purposes?
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    In psychology - at least how I was trained - mental diagnosis is not viewed as a limiting factor.

She was depressed before she became an activist and seems to be enjoying being able to contribute to improving environmental (and social) awareness around the globe. She does seem quite level-headed and self-aware.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    In psychology - at least how I was trained - mental diagnosis is not viewed as a limiting factor.
    Fair enough. But that doesn't prevent others from exploiting that person's cognitive vulnerabilities.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Fair enough. But that doesn't prevent others from exploiting that person's cognitive vulnerabilities.
    True. And doubtless many will try. However autism has many flavours. In my mind her being so young would be the main point of contention, rather than her autism.

I guess it comes down to how responsible her father (who is travelling with her) is as a parent - and whether he is making sure she has pressure-free days. Similar situations would apply to young performing artists & sportspeople who tour.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    True. And doubtless many will try. However autism has many flavours. In my mind her being so young would be the main point of contention, rather than her autism.

I guess it comes down to how responsible her father (who is travelling with her) is as a parent - and whether he is making sure she has pressure-free days. Similar situations would apply to young performing artists & sportspeople who tour.
    I can discern about all I need to know from the Antifa tshirts. Vicarious glory, anyone?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I can discern about all I need to know from the Antifa tshirts. Vicarious glory, anyone?
    It's a particular hot issue in Northern Europe - and probably not surprising since the last known Fascists in the area gassed minorities.

But I'll let Greta speak for herself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Hater or not, she is not the most attractive girl to have come out of Sweden. It's a fact. And she's brainwashed.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I'm not a hater nor could care less about her looks. She is just a misguided child blathering about a topic that is out of our control.
    The planet will continue spinning in a non predictable pattern until the axis upends itself and sends us into the midway of the universe and starts again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    she's brainwashed.

Brainwashed with what? The truth? You guys are either loopy or blind. I remember you messaging me on AS 15 years ago saying to ignore the sceptics on there, that they didn't understand. Exactly what was predicted has happened and now you're conveniently a sceptic. There is no logic to your thinking. Open your eyes, man!

Top 10 warmest years (NOAA)
    (1880–2018)
    Rank Year Anomaly °C Anomaly °F
    1 2016 0.94 1.69
    2 2015 0.90 1.62
    3 2017 0.84 1.51
    4 2018 0.77 1.39
    5 2014 0.74 1.33
    6 2010 0.70 1.26
    7 2013 0.66 1.19
    8 2005 0.65 1.17
    9 2009 0.64 1.15
    10 1998 0.63 1.13

Hater or not, she is not the most attractive girl to have come out of Sweden. It's a fact. And
    I don't mind how she looks. I think she's a compelling public speaker despite not being the prettiest girl. In fact, it makes me focus on her message not her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'm not a hater nor could care less about her looks. She is just a misguided child blathering about a topic that is out of our control. The planet will continue spinning in a non predictable pattern until the axis upends itself and sends us into the midway of the universe and starts again.
    The topic is out of control, but the (cosmological short-term) fate of the planet is definitely in our control.

But don't worry, I'm sure we'll all be dead before the worst hits

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's not in our control. You can't tell China and India what to do, and they're the biggest polluters on the planet. Ranting and raving about it isn't going to help any. No one's listening to you. That's what happens when you wag your finger and patronize people constantly. If environmentalists spent as much time trying to develop legitimate viable alternatives that could outshine our current best energy sources as they do sitting around wagging their fingers and bitching at all of us, then maybe we could get somewhere. Nothing ever changes when all people do is sit around and bitch. If you want shit to change in the world, you have to be the change you want to see in the world, and you can't do it with words. Get off your ass and DO something about it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (09-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    It's not in our control. You can't tell China and India what to do, and they're the biggest polluters on the planet. Ranting and raving about it isn't going to help any. No one's listening to you. That's what happens when you wag your finger and patronize people constantly.
    If by 'you' you mean me, I'm not intending to be patronizing. i'm teasing you guys to be light-hearted. But I take the issue seriously.

India and China are moving towards solar, but at the same time building more coal-fired power plants. As you said, they do what they want to do. I am ok with leadership beginning in the West, though, you start where it's easy. We can take care of China and India later. Also, they are weak and tend to immitate what the West does.

I didn't post it, but there have been weeks in Britain this year, where the entire country has gone without coal-fired power. And this was the country that essentially invented coal-power. So change can happen.

If environmentalists spent as much time trying to develop legitimate viable alternatives that could outshine our current best energy sources as they do sitting around wagging their fingers and bitching at all of us, then maybe we could get somewhere.
    I agree, they can be annoying. I think Greta's ability to be critical is valid, though. She is a child and therefore should trust that the adults are going to be able custodians of the planet until her generation's time to take over.

Nothing ever changes when all people do is sit around and bitch. If you want shit to change in the world, you have to be the change you want to see in the world, and you can't do it with words. Get off your ass and DO something about it.
    Well, I think words can be inspiring to others that can build and invent stuff (and consumers who can make choice).

What I don't get is the anti-environmentalists, like Trump. Well...I do get it, but I think there are more mature ways to make the point that other countries aren't pulling there weight. This is where politics does come into it and it's back to China and India. Which 2 countries in the world are going to be most fucked if the earth does warm as predicted? China and India. Many millions could die. So they will reap as they have sown. I think it's a dangerous path to let them go under though, because then they become dangerous. They both have nuclear weapons.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Lost. I am going to ask a simple question. For 20 years there have been catastrophic predictions. What predictions have come to fruition? I hope you can appreciate the "crying wolf" perspective.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-29-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (09-28-2019)