Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Teh Fallout Shelter but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Prof calls to get rid of grades because they are 'capitalism in action'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    #DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,110 Times in 59,910 Posts

SJW Prof calls to get rid of grades because they are 'capitalism in action'

Celine Ryan, Investigative Reporter - Campus Reform

A New York professor is calling for the abolition of grades. He claims they are not only unfair to students, but that they are a means of propping up capitalism, and as such, academia would be better off doing away with grading entirely.

“Grading takes up much of my time that could be better spent on teaching or otherwise directly interacting with students,” New School professor Richard Wolff wrote in a Monday op-ed entitled “Grades Are Capitalism in Action. Let’s Get Them Out of Our Schools.” He claims the practice of administering grades to students has “little educational payoff” and “disrespects [students] as thinking people.”

Wolff has been known to promote Marxism and condemn capitalism, even going so far as to blame capitalism for American homelessness. More recently, he made headlines by comparing President Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler on Twitter.

According to Wolff, the practice of grading is one that has served to prop up America’s capitalist economic system and its “major failures,” including "socially divisive inequalities” and the creation of “boring, dangerous, and/or mind-numbing” jobs. He asserts that capitalism’s survival can be attributed only to flawed human ideologies, one of which is the concept of “meritocracy.” Grades, he says, are one of many “mechanisms” used to “anchor” the concept of meritocracy in society.

“From primary school through the completion of my doctorate, I suffered the imposition of grades (A, B, C, etc.),” Wolff writes. “Since becoming a professor, I have constantly been required to assign grades to my students for matters such as papers, exams, and class performance.”

Wolff claims that not only does grading perpetuate capitalism, but that it is “immensely wasteful, ineffective, and largely negative” at “all levels” of education: primary education, secondary education, and higher education.

The professor argues that grades do a disservice to education because to administer a grade is effectively “insisting on one answer as right and alternatives as wrong."

"Such insistence," he adds, "is more like indoctrination than education; it undermines creative, critical thinking."

But Wolff’s main quarrel with grading stems from the fact that he believes it to be a tool of an oppressive capitalist force.

"It chiefly serves employers,” he says, adding that “today’s economic system precludes teachers engaging so carefully, repeatedly, and thoroughly with students. Capitalism’s enterprise organization — a small minority of employers (owners and their top executives) directing and controlling a large majority of employees — is replicated in private and public educational institutions.”

“That organization and its financial constraints combine to preclude the interactions among teachers and students that real education requires,” says Wolff, who believes that grades represent a “power” that a teacher has over a student.

Wolff insists that “meritocracy redirects the blame for capitalism’s failures onto its victims” and that “grading is the method” by which schools perpetuate a meritocratic society.

Wolff teaches economics at the New School and is listed by his former employer, the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, as an “expert” on economics.

Campus Reform reached out to Wolff for comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Here ya go little feller, a ribbon for your participation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-08-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (08-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Do you want the doctor operating on you that got a participation ribbon or the one that was top of his/her class..?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-08-2019)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Do you want the doctor operating on you that got a participation ribbon or the one that was top of his/her class..?
    This asshole probably teaches anti white gender studies for gay dolphins

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    If we get rid of grades, then EVERYBODY is at the top of their class

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    Way back in junior high our teachers decided that letter grades on report cards caused some sort of trauma (look at us being woke) and switched to percentages.

So then the trauma was getting a 79% rather than a B

I missed an A by one fucking percent

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,894 Times in 11,969 Posts
    95 - 100 = A
    < 95 = F

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    95 - 100 = A
    < 95 = F
    My 11 year old has gotten straight A's for the entirety of elementary school.. You know what? They did not recognize that.. They only recognized that she made "honor-roll". Kinda fuckin' irritated me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    My 11 year old has gotten straight A's for the entirety of elementary school.. You know what? They did not recognize that.. They only recognized that she made "honor-roll". Kinda fuckin' irritated me.
    It doesn't really matter in elementary school. It's not like colleges and employers are gonna be looking back at her 2nd grade report card to see if she's collegiate/company material.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    It doesn't really matter in elementary school. It's not like colleges and employers are gonna be looking back at her 2nd grade report card to see if she's collegiate/company material.
    It does matter when they are recognizing achievements and bringing kids up on stage for stupid bullshit feel good awards...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It does matter when they are recognizing achievements and bringing kids up on stage for stupid bullshit feel good awards...
    Ok, that's wrong. If they're handing out awards and she's the top of the heap and not getting recognized for it, then that's fucked up. You should call them out on their blatant discrimination.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    When I was in elementary and junior high I used to get what they called first and second class honors. They were certificates given with the report cards if a person got let's say a B+ average or A average across a variety of classes.

Up until I was in grade nine, those certificates made both me and my parents proud. Later my friends teased me calling me Honor-boy when I go them so I hid them and stopped trying hard. Peer pressure is a real thing at those young ages.

I was zoned to go to a certain high school which I didn't like because it was mostly vocational. When my parents and I had a meeting with the administrator of the school I wanted to go to, my honor awards were brought up and used as part the reasoning to allow me to go there. So I guess they do have some value.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-09-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (08-10-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Let me reiterate: It's more important for you and her educators to reinforce in her youth the habits and discipline that lead to that level of achievement, that way those habits and that discipline are ingrained in her later when the chips are actually on the table... when she has something to lose in high school or college.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    We had first and second honors at my high school too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (08-10-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    We had first and second honors at my high school too.
    Ours were in the lower grades with a real focus during grades 7-9. They disappeared in high school.