Thread: Philadelphia standoff: Police dispatch audio reveals tense moments during hours-long ordeal

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

News Philadelphia standoff: Police dispatch audio reveals tense moments during hours-long ordeal

By Danielle Wallace | Fox News

Dramatic audio from police dispatchers reveals how two officers became trapped and six others were wounded as gunfire rang out during an hours-long standoff that turned one residential Philadelphia neighborhood upside down Wednesday.

Several officers with the Narcotics Strike Force were serving a warrant at the multifamily home -- in connection with what may have been a drug-related offense -- when things "went awry almost immediately," and the shooter opened fire, police Commissioner Richard Ross Jr. said.

“We’ve got several shot officers. We’ve got an officer down. They’re still getting shot – shots fired,” a female dispatcher said shortly after the gunfire began around 4:30 p.m.

Several officers had entered the home and made their way to the rear of the property when a gunman, armed with an AK-47 rifle and several pistols, began to open fire. Some officers jumped out of windows to escape the barrage of bullets but two officers were trapped inside on the second floor.

“I got an officer shot at this location in the leg!” one officer yelled to a police dispatcher. “They’re saying the shooter is in the kitchen. We’ve got an officer down. Radio: I want Erie Avenue shut down – right now,” another dispatcher said, Philadelphia's FOX 29 reported.

Dozens of officers responded in patrol cars. Six officers total were wounded in the gunfire and were rushed to local hospitals where they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and later released. Police blocked off the streets around the scene. At least two other officers were treated for non-life-threatening injuries related to automobile accidents that resulted in the commotion to get to the scene.

Two officers barricaded

While most officers made it out of the home initially, two officers were barricaded in separate rooms on the second floor as the gunman on the first floor shot through the ceiling and outside widows at officers below.

“Be advised. We’re still pinned down inside this location,” one of the officers said over radio around 5 p.m. “The male is inside the kitchen shooting upward and forward to the opposition of the police.”

One officer was trapped in a back bedroom with a male and a female hostage. Another officer was trapped in a bathroom with a male hostage. The hostages had already been handcuffed by police at the time the shooting began.

“How you doing inside?” a police commander asked an officer inside, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. “I got full ammo, ready to go,” the officer radioed back.

SWAT and hostage negotiators were called in. The two officers and three hostages managed to escape without being harmed with the help of the SWAT team around 10 p.m. as the standoff continued. Police eventually rescued four more women who were trapped on the second floor amid the gunfire.

Daycare center on lockdown

Hundreds of rounds of gunfire could be heard throughout the afternoon. A nearby daycare was placed under lockdown until law enforcement could evacuate 58 children and adults from the building, the Inquirer reported.

“We had to stay calm and collected, and get the children calm,” one daycare worker said. “I’m just happy I got my daughter,” Shere Calhoun said as she caressed her 8-year-old’s head. “I didn’t want her to be a victim.”

Police called in two city buses to hold the children whose parents had not arrived yet as the shootout continued blocks away. Temple University also placed its health and science campus, which includes the hospital, on lockdown.

“Calm down, calm down,” an officer yelled as a parent ran down the block. “The kids are safe.”

Law enforcement tried to communicate with the suspect both over loudspeaker and on the phone to difuse the situation. The suspect’s girlfriend facilitated communication during the first call. A second three-way call transpired with the suspect, his attorney and police to urge the suspect he would not be hurt if he surrendered. After almost an eight-hour-long ordeal, the suspect surrendered to authorities just after midnight Thursday, exiting the residence with his hands in the air and with a police light shining on him, surrounded by a cloud of tear gas.

The Philadelphia Police Department didn't officially released the name of the suspect, but unnamed police sources told the Inquirer that he was Maurice Hill, 36, of Philadelphia. Hill has a long criminal record, including several gun-related convictions and has been arrested for attempted murder and resisting arrest, the newspaper reported, citing court records.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Amid Standoff And Gunfire, Philadelphia Crowd Taunts Police Officers

CBS 3 Staff

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — While Philadelphia police officers were dealing with a gunman who shot six of their own during a standoff at a home in the Nicetown-Tioga section, cops also had to deal with being taunted by some bystanders. CBS3’s Alexandria Hoff reports a crowd of people laughed and yelled at officers in the midst of gunfire during a standoff on Wednesday.

Police say officers were serving a narcotics warrant on the 3700 block of North 15th Street around 4:30 p.m. when the suspect opened fire. As police exchanged gunfire, officers escaped through windows and doors.

Six officers were shot and transported to local hospitals. The officers have since been released.

From 4:30 p.m. until 8 p.m., gunfire did not cease for more than 40 minutes at a time. For some, the near constant sound of shots felt like nothing more than a reality of where they live, and for others it brought back memories of a war zone.

“It’s unsafe, but this is the hood. This is what we live with everyday,” one woman said.

“When they started dumping with the firepower and stuff like that, they did it in front of the day care, the babies were out and everything, that’s crazy. I’m a discharged veteran. I thought I was in a DMZ zone. It’s triggering PTSD, all types of things, all of this needs to be resolved. It’s senseless, seriously senseless,” another woman said.

Sources tell CBS3 that the scene was sheer chaos as officers were taking fire. Video from Chopper 3 showed officers with guns drawn at the scene.

Sources tell CBS3 the suspect was live-streaming some of the shootout while he barricaded himself inside the home.

Police say the gunman surrendered and was taken into custody shortly after midnight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Stay classy Philly.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Yep.

I watched this entire thing from the time it started. As soon as I heard it was near Temple, I knew it was in the ghetto. North Philly is bad. Has been for years. And they just keep bringing it on themselves.

I'm glad the 6 cops that got shot were released.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts
    I can't believe this guy got out alive, holy shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I can't believe this guy got out alive, holy shit.
    Their mayor and police chief are both pussies. If it were down here, the dude would've been cut in half in under 30 seconds after the first cop got shot. But up there, it's all about the optics.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,842 Times in 8,180 Posts
    The way we first heard it was that they attempted to serve the warrant and went in. They didn't know one person was armed and the first police handcuffed two (?) people. Then the guy opened up with the AK 47 and people within became hostages including a cop.

I'm not sure on the details of the exact timing but it sounded like the first guys on scene didn't know there was someone armed. Then it just degraded from there because of the hostages. Otherwise I'm sure the SWAT team would have just tear gassed or shot up the place until no one walked out.

Years back we had a similar incident with RCMP officers moving in on a guy who lived on a farm and he killed one or two of them before being taken into custody. RCMP were armed with sidearms and shotguns and the guy still managed to take one or two out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    The way we first heard it was that they attempted to serve the warrant and went in. They didn't know one person was armed and the first police handcuffed two (?) people. Then the guy opened up with the AK 47 and people within became hostages including a cop.

I'm not sure on the details of the exact timing but it sounded like the first guys on scene didn't know there was someone armed. Then it just degraded from there because of the hostages. Otherwise I'm sure the SWAT team would have just tear gassed or shot up the place until no one walked out.

Years back we had a similar incident with RCMP officers moving in on a guy who lived on a farm and he killed one or two of them before being taken into custody. RCMP were armed with sidearms and shotguns and the guy still managed to take one or two out.
    That was their first mistake: Going into North Philly with only 2 cops to serve a warrant. They should've had at least 5 or 6. I'm telling you, North Philly is BAD. Really bad. Those 6 cops should count their lucky stars that they're alive.