Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tlaib gets emotional as Omar calls for Congress to act over Israel travel restrictions

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Hypocrite Tlaib gets emotional as Omar calls for Congress to act over Israel travel restrictions

By Alex Pappas | Fox News

An emotional Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib on Monday held back tears during a news conference as she and Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar condemned Israel’s recent decision to impose restrictions on visiting the country, with the Democrats calling for Congress to get involved.

“We in the United States have a constructive role to play,” Omar said at the news conference in St. Paul, Minn. “We give Israel more than $3 billion in aid every year. This is predicated on them being an important ally in the region, and the only democracy in the Middle East. But, denying a visit to duly elected members of Congress is not consistent with being an ally.”

Omar said lawmakers “have a responsibility to conduct oversight over our government’s foreign policy and what happens with the millions of dollars we send in aid.”

The two Muslim lawmakers held an afternoon news conference at the Minnesota State Capitol Building with Palestinian-American and Jewish-American residents of Minnesota who said they also have been affected adversely by travel restrictions to Israel and the Palestinian territories. The purpose of the event, Omar said, was to “highlight the human costs of the occupation and travel restrictions on Palestinians and others.”

"The decision to ban me and my colleague, the first two Muslim-American women elected to Congress, is nothing less than an attempt by an ally of the United States to suppress our ability to do our jobs as elected officials," Omar said.

Tlaib held back tears as she discussed her experiences visiting Jerusalem as a child.

“As a young girl visiting Palestine to see my grandparents and extended family, I watched as my mother had to go through dehumanizing checkpoints – even though she was a United States citizen and a proud American,” she said.

Referencing recent conversations with her Palestinian grandmother, who she had planned to visit on the trip, Tlaib choked up: “She said I’m her dream manifested. I’m her free bird so why would I come back and be caged and bow down?”

Omar jumped in: “What I tell Rashida all the time is that you don’t ever allow people to enjoy your tears. I say that all the time. There are so many people invested in our pain, in our struggle, in seeing us broken.”

Earlier Monday, the White House fired back at Democrats amid reports that they may be planning retaliatory moves in Congress against two top American and Israeli diplomats.

“Congresswomen Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar have a well-documented history of anti-Semitic comments, anti-Semitic social media posts and anti-Semitic relationships,” said White House spokesman Hogan Gidley. “Israel has the right to prevent people who want to destroy it from entering the country – and Democrats’ pointless congressional inquiries here in America cannot change the laws Israel has passed to protect itself.”

According to a weekend report in McClatchy, senior Democrats in Congress were considering legislative action against Ron Dermer, Israel’s ambassador to Washington, and David Friedman, the U.S. ambassador to Israel, in response to the decision not to let Tlaib, D-Mich., and Omar, D-Minn., enter Israel. That could include a possible vote on a statement of no confidence in Dermer, as well as calls for the opening of an inspector-general investigation into Friedman.

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu cited Omar and Tlaib’s anti-Israel statements in saying the government would block them from entering Israel as part of a planned trip.

The move – announced shortly after President Trump tweeted that it would "show great weakness" to allow them in – ignited a massive outcry from Washington Democrats, as Netanyahu's government stood by the decision arguing the U.S. lawmakers had an ulterior, anti-Israel agenda.

Omar and Tlaib have been outspoken critics of Israeli policies and have expressed support for boycotts of the country.

Speaking on “Fox & Friends” on Monday, New York Rep. Lee Zeldin, one of two Jewish Republicans in the House, defended Israel’s decision.

“Israel has a law that is on the books that allows them to prevent anyone to visit their country that seeks to harm their country. It would be wrong to be criticizing Israeli Prime Minister to the United States for his role in this because they don’t want to have people traveling to their country that want to harm it,” he said.

Still, while blocking the planned trip, the Israeli government said it would accept a humanitarian request from Tlaib to visit her Palestinian grandmother. But, on Friday, Tlaib said she would not travel to the West Bank to visit family, despite getting permission hours before from Israel’s interior minister.

Netanyahu has said that Tlaib and Omar's itinerary "revealed that they planned a visit whose sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel's legitimacy." He said Israel welcomes critics with the exception of those who support boycotts of the Jewish State.

Omar and Tlaib had planned to visit Jerusalem and the West Bank on a tour organized by a Palestinian organization aimed at highlighting the plight of the Palestinians.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Israel is its own country, and they can do whatever the fuck they want. Maybe if y'all weren't fuckin' terrorists, then there wouldn't be any issue.

Why we are giving these 2, or any of the 4 freshmen Democrat Representatives for that matter, any time in front of a microphone at all is beyond comprehension.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (08-21-2019), Muddy (08-20-2019), Pony (08-21-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Because they are the future

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like how they are whining about travel restriction AFTER the Israelis waived the restriction for Tlaib

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-20-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Because they are the future

Not if they lose their reelection bids.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I like how they are whining about travel restriction AFTER the Israelis waived the restriction for Tlaib
    I know, it's ridiculous. As if people won't notice, right?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Can you blame them after Ilhan Omar's remarks. I mean get real, this is a small Jewish country surrounded by Muslims hell bent on killing them all. Why the hell would they want to let the 2 in there nation?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    Can you blame them after Ilhan Omar's remarks. I mean get real, this is a small Jewish country surrounded by Muslims hell bent on killing them all. Why the hell would they want to let the 2 in there nation?
    They already granted Tlaib a waiver so that she could come visit her grandmother after she appealed their decision to deny her entry. Then she turned that down and now after all that, she's publicly whining about not being allowed into Israel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    They already granted Tlaib a waiver so that she could come visit her grandmother after she appealed their decision to deny her entry. Then she turned that down and now after all that, she's publicly whining about not being allowed into Israel.
    So they were going to allow her in and she turned that down and is now crying they wouldn't let her in

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-20-2019), KevinD (08-21-2019), RBP (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fricnjay View Post
    So they were going to allow her in and she turned that down and is now crying they wouldn't let her in
    Yep.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I just got emotional..

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I just got emotional..
    I get emotional when you get emotional.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Blame the British. Simple

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Cry with me...

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I just got emotional..
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Cry with me...
    Muslims hate fags. Just saying.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-21-2019), lost in melb. (08-21-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (08-21-2019)