Thread: Elderly couple shocked by waitress' 'appalling' message on receipt

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Precious Snowflake Elderly couple shocked by waitress' 'appalling' message on receipt

SWNS News Service

An elderly couple have spoken of their "disgust" after a hotel waiter described them as “old people” on their drinks bill.

Phyllis and Robert Hidden noticed the "terrible" wording on their receipt after enjoying a lunchtime drink and a bite to eat last month.

Just above the £11.20 ($13.63) total the words “Table: OLD PEOPLE” can be seen.

It's thought the waiter, whose identity isn't known, typed the words in a dreadful attempt to identify who the bill belonged to.

Hidden, 80, only realized what had happened a few days after her visit to The Riverside Hotel in Kendal, Cumbria, on July 4.

She said, "I thought nothing of it at first until my husband pointed it out to me and I was shaking with temper.

"I was incensed."

She added, "This is appalling behavior. It's a terrible thing to label people like that.

"It should be table numbers you should be making a note of, not labeling the customers. Age shouldn’t be what defines you."

Hidden called the hotel to raise the issue and told them how "disgusted" she was.

The retiree demanded an apology but didn't get one until a month after her call, which infuriated her further.

She said, "Had I received an apology in the first instance I would have let this go."

The couple have now received a letter of apology and the hotel's general manager Jennifer Boow stressed the wording was not intentional.

She said, "We would like to apologize.

"The issue has been raised and the member of staff concerned has been spoken to.

"They (member of staff) were extremely apologetic and didn't mean to cause any harm by what happened and no disrespect was intended by the wording."

The Riverside Hotel is a three-star establishment within a converted 17th-century tannery which describes itself as "great for families."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    But they ARE old.

Does everyone in this world go out looking to be offended anymore? "Appaling", FFS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (08-21-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Maybe thats to show they got their senior discount.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I go the other way on this one. If a server can't remember their bills for tables without creating self imposed labels for people, fuck him.

What's next... 'guy with wart', 'lady with saggy tits', 'mom with obnoxious kids'.

"...didn't mean to cause any harm by what happened..."...but you did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I go the other way on this one. If a server can't remember their bills for tables without creating self imposed labels for people, fuck him.

What's next... 'guy with wart', 'lady with saggy tits', 'mom with obnoxious kids'.

"...didn't mean to cause any harm by what happened..."...but you did.
    She put 'old people' not 'wrinkled old prune-faced couple'

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    She was shaking with temper