#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Notice J.J. Abrams Defends ‘The Last Jedi’: It ‘Didn’t Derail Anything’

By Paul Bois - The Daily Wire

"Star Wars" fans hoping that the upcoming "Rise of Skywalker" will save the franchise from a social justice-induced death should really cool their jets, because according to director J.J. Abrams, the abysmal, uninspired, feminist film that was "The Last Jedi" actually "didn't really derail anything."

According to Bounding Into Comics, the director of the upcoming Star Wars sequel said that "The Last Jedi" simply continued the story laid forth in "The Force Awakens" and did nothing to derail the franchise.

"The story that we're telling, the story that we started to conceive when we did Force Awakens was allowed to continue," Abrams told Entertainment Tonight Canada. "Episode 8 didn't really derail anything that we were thinking about."

Abrams added that "The Rise of Skywalker" will be slightly different from the previous installments because the characters (Rey, Finn, Poe) will all be on a journey as a group — characters audiences still know little to nothing about despite nearly six hours of storytime.

"But I will say the fun of this movie is that these characters are all together on this adventure as a group," said Abrams. "That's the thing I was most excited about, to see the dynamic between these characters that these amazing actors play on this desperate seat of your pants adventure. That to me was the thing that was the most fun — having the group together."

The director's statements echo what he previously told Vanity Fair. "Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently. Which is to say that, on seven, I felt beholden to 'Star Wars' in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt 'Star Wars' should be," he said. "It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, F*** it, I'm going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something."

As noted by Bounding Into Comics, "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson expressly stated in previous interviews that J.J. Abrams essentially gave him a blank canvas after "The Force Awakens."

"He was really gracious, in just stepping back and giving us a blank slate to work with. The starting point was The Force Awakens script, which is quite a big, expansive, wonderful starting point. In that way, we are drawing directly from his work. But from that point forward it was a blank canvas," said Johnson.

Whatever the case, J.J. Abrams certainly had no objection to the film's overwhelming feminist bromides, which he helped create by turning the character Rey into a Mary Sue with "The Force Awakens." In fact, Abrams even referred to critics of "The Last Jedi" as men who "felt threatened by women."

"We're not asking to take away the male point of view or male artistry or male contribution," he told IndieWire. "We're simply saying, 'What is fair?' I can see why people might get freaked out by it, but the people who are getting freaked out are the people who are accustomed to that privilege, and this is not oppression, this is about fairness."

"Star Wars is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in Star Wars. If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in Star Wars," Abrams continued.

"You can probably look at the first movie that George [Lucas] did [Star Wars: A New Hope] and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that," he said.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    The only way they can make me accept Rey as anything other than a Mary Sue is if she turns out to be a clone of Luke or Anakin. If she's a clone of one of them then her abilities without training would make some sense. But it's still a very badly written trilogy and quite painful to watch.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    The only way they can make me accept Rey as anything other than a Mary Sue is if she turns out to be a clone of Luke or Anakin. If she's a clone of one of them then her abilities without training would make some sense. But it's still a very badly written trilogy and quite painful to watch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    What is a "Mary Sue"..?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    What is a "Mary Sue"..?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

No, Rey From 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Is Still Not A 'Mary Sue'

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks.. never heard of that before..

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Written by a SJW douchenozzle.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Written by a SJW douchenozzle.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yep, SJW douchenozzle.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    He looks like a SJW douchenozzle.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    "...the abysmal, uninspired, feminist film that was "The Last Jedi" actually "didn't really derail anything."

Didn't notice the feminism. I won't get into movie details and will note that Mark Hamill openly spoke out against the film before it was released.
    Then he got real quiet and made fleeting comments of support.

use the force - $$$

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Rey is a feminist icon, supposedly, although she pales in comparison to Ripley from the first two Alien movies. And again, the only way Rey isn't a Mary Sue is if she's a clone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Rey is a feminist icon, supposedly, although she pales in comparison to Ripley from the first two Alien movies. And again, the only way Rey isn't a Mary Sue is if she's a clone.
    The Star Wars universe has had strong female characters since the start. Princess Leia forward.

The character of Rey didn't confront me much, other than what you mentioned about her being somehow magically gifted. Without knowing, she has to be related.

It was the other 10 things that happened in Last Jedi that offended me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    The Star Wars universe has had strong female characters since the start. Princess Leia forward.

The character of Rey didn't confront me much, other than what you mentioned about her being somehow magically gifted. Without knowing, she has to be related.

It was the other 10 things that happened in Last Jedi that offended me.
    Just 10?

I don't believe it's enough to be related. Luke needed training. He had no abilities outside of the flight thing before Obi-wan grabbed a hold of him. Anakin had a little more and one could argue that he may have figured some junk out on his own, unless the rumors about him being created by Palpatine or Plagueis are true.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 08-28-2019 at 04:22 PM.