Thread: J.J. Abrams Defends ‘The Last Jedi’: It ‘Didn’t Derail Anything’

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,838 Times in 8,177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Just 10?
    I remember you guys made posts in the movie thread and I watched it much later and didn't go back to see your complaints.

I listen to a podcaster (same guy who writes for The Hollywood Reporter and does the Game of Thrones coverage) and he is a huge nerd. He knows every pop culture reference from comic books to movies to novels. Unfortunately he often cross-references characters during a comparison and spoils movies. eg That was like the time ____fought Kylo Ren and died.

He pissed me off so much that I had to watch Jedi to avoid further spoilers as I listen to a lot of his stuff.

All that said, I can't even remember now all of my issues with the movie and that's a bad sign. I can remember conversations from 20 years ago

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

I think I said that wrong.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Hey man they lost me at midichlorians or midi-chlorians or whatever (wtf, are they digital synthesizers ffs?).

I'd like to think the force is within only certain people for mystical reasons, not a disease

When you compare Luke to Anakin as you mentioned, the differences are apparent. Luke needed a personal trainer, Anakin was more of a natural (at crying and pouting).

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I remember you guys made posts in the movie thread and I watched it much later and didn't go back to see your complaints.

I listen to a podcaster (same guy who writes for The Hollywood Reporter and does the Game of Thrones coverage) and he is a huge nerd. He knows every pop culture reference from comic books to movies to novels. Unfortunately he often cross-references characters during a comparison and spoils movies. eg That was like the time ____fought Kylo Ren and died.

He pissed me off so much that I had to watch Jedi to avoid further spoilers as I listen to a lot of his stuff.

All that said, I can't even remember now all of my issues with the movie and that's a bad sign. I can remember conversations from 20 years ago
    Rose was a problem in and of herself. The assault with the bombers in the beginning was stupid. The whole side mission with Finn and Rose that took up half of the movie and amounted to nothing. Leia-Mary-Poppins. Snoke being a big fat nothing and never finding out where the hell he came from. Rey and Kylo fending off all of the guards on their own. Rey lifting the rocks without any specific lengthy training from Luke. Luke joining the Force/dying the way he did. The whole Luke/Kylo backstory... that totally wasn't Luke at all. And that's just a few things.

Basically, the entire movie was wrong. Both of them were. The writers just don't get Star Wars. Even Lucas said, "That's not what I would have done", when asked for his opinion on them.

If the final installment turns this trilogy into an adaptation of Dark Empire, and Rey is a clone of Anakin or Luke (preferably Anakin, because he was way more powerful), then while I'll still have issues with it, I'll forgive them for some things.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (08-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Rose was a problem in and of herself. The assault with the bombers in the beginning was stupid. The whole side mission with Finn and Rose that took up half of the movie and amounted to nothing. Leia-Mary-Poppins. Snoke being a big fat nothing and never finding out where the hell he came from. Rey and Kylo fending off all of the guards on their own. Rey lifting the rocks without any specific lengthy training from Luke. Luke joining the Force/dying the way he did. The whole Luke/Kylo backstory... that totally wasn't Luke at all. And that's just a few things.

Basically, the entire movie was wrong. Both of them were. The writers just don't get Star Wars. Even Lucas said, "That's not what I would have done", when asked for his opinion on them.

If the final installment turns this trilogy into an adaptation of Dark Empire, and Rey is a clone of Anakin or Luke (preferably Anakin, because he was way more powerful), then while I'll still have issues with it, I'll forgive them for some things.
    Agreeing with a lot here. The character of Finn in itself was such a cool idea. I liked the idea of a stormtrooper who defected and wasn't perfect at everything. I also like the actor and how he handled the role.

But here's an example of poor writing that you brought up. Half of the movie with Finn and Rose that amounted to nothing. I forgot her character entirely and that they had even interacted. And that's not a good sign

I have another hot take that not many people agree with. I don't like the actor who plays Kylo Ren (Driver) and think he was close to Hayden Christensen during his first few scenes. For such a supposed badass and important character to this trilogy, I found Driver wimpy and pouty at times, with no real sense of menace.

And didn't Jedi have that extended attempted comedy scene when Po was talking to the Opie-looking red haired bad guy on the big ship? Speaking of which the red haired guy was about as scary as the Giant Snoke Puppet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, a badass dark side force user (cause he's not a Sith) as an Emo-bitch wasn't a really great idea.

Oh yeah, at the start. Big fucking waste of time and really not that amusing. They should have just shot Po's ass out of space. Oh our enemy's best pilot's in a small fighter sitting right in front of the entire fleet? Ok, let's just let him sit there and... talk.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ahhh Lord Emo-Bitch, we meet again

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    I didnt care for that movie

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    In one of the prequels there was a scene with Obi-Wan and Anakin flying through a huge group of ships and some alien robots were attaching themselves to their ships.

An effects guy froze the scene and said there were over 1050 CG effects within 180 seconds of screen time and those moments cost upwards of 10 million to create.

Most of the scenes flew by at an average of 2.5 seconds per shot. And for the most part no human could ever take in that much information at once and process it.

All that to say the original movie used actual models and a decidedly scaled down camera system with a rudimentary computer to film things like the iconic trench run and opening sequence with the huge ship flying across the camera view.

And people still herald that simplistic plot and effects as being better than most or all of the prequels

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts
    I'm so glad I haven't seen any of the new trilogy yet

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I'm so glad I haven't seen any of the new trilogy yet
    What did you think of the prequels with whiny Anakin and Jar Jar Stinks?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What did you think of the prequels with whiny Anakin and Jar Jar Stinks?
    I watched all three of those abominations.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I thought Ewan as Obi Wan and Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon were excellent choices.

Everything that happened to them and every other minute of the series sucked Jabba's wet ass

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (08-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I thought Ewan as Obi Wan and Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon were excellent choices.

Everything that happened to them and every other minute of the series sucked Jabba's wet ass

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Hal-9000 (08-29-2019)