Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: J.J. Abrams Defends ‘The Last Jedi’: It ‘Didn’t Derail Anything’

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Even the premise of how Anakin turned to the dark side was weak. He's pissed at the council for not giving him full Jedi street cred at a young age and angry at Padme after she gets pregnant because she doesn't want to rule the universe with him? It seemed so forced.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (08-29-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    and oh yeah, Sand People killed his mom.

So maybe you should have gotten a real job and moved her off that horrible ghetto planet you tool

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (08-29-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Yeah, that's why I was not in a hurry to see any of the new stuff...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I really liked Rogue One. Other than that, everything since the original trilogy has just been disappointing for me. The newest two films of this trilogy should've been another world-building epic, but they just seem to leave us more confused and unsatisfied about the Star Wars universe than anything don't they?

Who is Rey.... who was Snoke.... Whatever, I'm over it

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I really liked Rogue One. Other than that, everything since the original trilogy has just been disappointing for me. The newest two films of this trilogy should've been another world-building epic, but they just seem to leave us more confused and unsatisfied about the Star Wars universe than anything don't they?

Rogue One fucking rocked. Star Wars for adults. I hope they take that as a blueprint for the future series and films that they're planning and making.

Rey's a Mary Sue, a bullshit paradigm for the SJW generation, unless she turns out to be a clone. Snoke was a wasted plot point, just like 3/4ths of the first 2 movies, because the writers suck. And Kylo Ren is an Emo-bitch.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Rogue One fucking rocked. Star Wars for adults. I hope they take that as a blueprint for the future series and films that they're planning and making.

Rey's a Mary Sue, a bullshit paradigm for the SJW generation, unless she turns out to be a clone. Snoke was a wasted plot point, just like 3/4ths of the first 2 movies, because the writers suck. And Kylo Ren is an Emo-bitch.
    Blame JJ Abrams...he did the same thing to Star Trek with his movies. He took all kinds of liberties (change the time line) because he didn't want to stick to what made Star Trek, Star Trek. I only saw the first one of the Star Trek movies because that was enough for me. If he just wanted to make a sci-fi movie that was like Star Trek, then he should have done that. While his movie (the only one I saw at least) was a really good sci-fi film, it was a horrible Star Trek film. So because he was using the Star Trek template for his movie, I hated it.

It's just like the Star Trek: Discovery television show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Blame JJ Abrams...he did the same thing to Star Trek with his movies. He took all kinds of liberties (change the time line) because he didn't want to stick to what made Star Trek, Star Trek. I only saw the first one of the Star Trek movies because that was enough for me. If he just wanted to make a sci-fi movie that was like Star Trek, then he should have done that. While his movie (the only one I saw at least) was a really good sci-fi film, it was a horrible Star Trek film. So because he was using the Star Trek template for his movie, I hated it.

It's just like the Star Trek: Discovery television show.
    The Force Awakens was almost a note for note copy of A New Hope. I'm not sure how involved Abrams was for that one. It was original and had it's moments, but when I say note for note, it was almost beat for beat structured like A New Hope as if someone took the outline and just filled in the subject matter differently. Critics mentioned this often while liking the movie for the most part.

But for me that's like taking Gone With The Wind, analyzing it scene by scene and making a new movie using the exact framework.

I don't like when writers make alternate universes to bypass canonical ideas, but disagree with your take on the first Star Trek movie(s) by Abrams. His casting was excellent, the story was engaging and there were a ton of nods to old ideas from the TV series. It was a love letter to the show, not a complete rewrite.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I enjoyed Rogue 1 and also the Hans Solo / Chewbacca movie..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I enjoyed Rogue 1 and also the Hans Solo / Chewbacca movie..
    I didn't like that one for some reason. I may have to rewatch it to see what I missed.

It had ol Sleepy eyed Forrest Whitaker who did not much in it, correct?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I don't like when writers make alternate universes to bypass canonical ideas, but disagree with your take on the first Star Trek movie(s) by Abrams. His casting was excellent, the story was engaging and there were a ton of nods to old ideas from the TV series. It was a love letter to the show, not a complete rewrite.
    This is a big forum, you're allowed to have your wrong opinion about Abrams Trek

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didn't like that one for some reason. I may have to rewatch it to see what I missed.

Yes, but not many movies are perfect.. I thought it was a good movie..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    This is a big forum, you're allowed to have your wrong opinion about Abrams Trek

Young Kirk, Spock and Bones were superlative casting. You know nothing Jon Snow

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Yes, but not many movies are perfect.. I thought it was a good movie..
    Au contraire mon ami. Tranny Surprise #3:What's That Under Your Dress? came real close.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-30-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (08-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts

Forest Whitaker's character, Saw Gerrera, was a character from the animated series. It was a nod to the real hardcore fans that watched The Clone Wars and Rebels. Especially in The Clone Wars, a bunch of actors from the movies reprised their roles for the animated series. Saw Gerrera was in both series in a limited way, so they threw him in Rogue One to help advance the plot while tying everything, animated and live action, together. Again, Rogue One rocked. And it rocked before they showed the scenes that proved how much of a badass Darth Vader really is. Adult Star Wars. This is what the Galactic Civil War really looked like. Non-force user casualties and sacrifices to help the Rebel Alliance win the little battles that added up to them winning the war.

The Clone Wars and Rebels are canon, and even though they're made for kids, they have a lot of cool shit in both of them. I'd say check them out if you have the time and inclination. Grand Admiral Thrawn, from Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire book trilogy, shows up in Rebels. That was about as cool as it gets. The showrunners bowing down to the post-ROTJ novels that used to be canon, and everybody wanted to see made live action, but were relegated to Legacy status after The Force Awakens was made. If they do what I'm theorizing they're going to do in The Rise of Skywalker, then that will be another love letter to the hardcore fans that read all of those post-ROTJ novels, particularly the Dark Empire comic series. They might be forgiven for the horseshit that was The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

I still say the whole Jaina and Jacen Solo storyline from the Expanded Universe is about the best storytelling you're going to get out of the Skywalker family line.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (08-30-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I havent seen two of those movies, but what you wrote sounds good.. ^^