Thread: Are tablets any good?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

Geeky Are tablets any good?

I"m leaving the US soon, and wanting to have a consumer electronic feast. Samsung Galaxy S10 & new ultrabook (still deciding)

Does anyone own a tablet and if so do they have a practical daily use for them? All I can think of is that they are good the read the news. But I will probably use my phone for that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I've got a Kindle Fire (Amazon) but I only use it to read free ebooks and to play a game (after installing Google Play on it, because Google Play doesn't come standard on any of Amazon's devices). I do have Netflix and I'm subscribed to Prime on it, but I've got Netflix and Prime on my computers and my TV too, so why bother? If I go out, I'm not gonna haul my Kindle Fire to watch Netflix or Prime videos...

For the most part, if you don't plan on using it outside your home, then all you need is to enable the wifi on it and keep it at home, but if you plan on carrying it around with you away from your wifi and you want to access the web with it, then you'll need to get a data plan with a telecommunications company. In that respect, it's a smartphone without the phone capabilities.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 09-08-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    I started with a Nook a decade or so ago. It was an e-reader only. Didnt have a backlight, so you had to have a light on to read. It came in handy when I was traveling overseas as I didnt have to pack books. When it broke, (I sat on it) I upgraded to a Samsung note 10.1 2014 edition. I loved that one. I just refurbished it and gave it to my daughter. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, and its great. I havent used a laptop since I bought the 2014. I still travel a lot, so, for me a tablet works. I use it for everything I'd use a laptop.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-10-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    The first tablet we ever had was a cheap one from Best Buy. It was okay, but it was slow and just not thaty good, we rarely used it. But, this past Christmas we upgraded to a Samsung Tab S4 and it's amazing. I like to use it when I don't feel like using the PC and I want a bigger screen than my phone as the tablet is a 10.1" screen. It's super fast and we love it. It's almost a replacement for a laptop in a lot of ways. But if you do get a tablet, remember, you will get what you pay for, so don't go cheap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    But if you do get a tablet, remember, you will get what you pay for, so don't go cheap.
    I'll second that. I have a 10' Verizon Elipsis tablet. While it works OK, I've had periodic issues with it when it does updates. I have to reset it back to factory a few times a year. I use it while I'm at work or when traveling back and forth from the island. Having the cellular 4G sim in it is a definite must if you plan on ever leaving the house with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I started with a Nook a decade or so ago. It was an e-reader only. Didnt have a backlight, so you had to have a light on to read. It came in handy when I was traveling overseas as I didnt have to pack books. When it broke, (I sat on it) I upgraded to a Samsung note 10.1 2014 edition. I loved that one. I just refurbished it and gave it to my daughter. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, and its great. I havent used a laptop since I bought the 2014. I still travel a lot, so, for me a tablet works. I use it for everything I'd use a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The first tablet we ever had was a cheap one from Best Buy. It was okay, but it was slow and just not thaty good, we rarely used it. But, this past Christmas we upgraded to a Samsung Tab S4 and it's amazing. I like to use it when I don't feel like using the PC and I want a bigger screen than my phone as the tablet is a 10.1" screen. It's super fast and we love it. It's almost a replacement for a laptop in a lot of ways. But if you do get a tablet, remember, you will get what you pay for, so don't go cheap.

I'm going into Bestbuy in Winchester at the end of the week. I think they have better stuff as well, so I'll scope out what they have. Seems like 10' is the sweet spot.

Agreed, nothing worse than going cheap and they bog down in 6 months once you have a few apps installed. I like going to quality and replace stuff every 3-4 years not 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I'll second that. I have a 10' Verizon Elipsis tablet. While it works OK, I've had periodic issues with it when it does updates. I have to reset it back to factory a few times a year. I use it while I'm at work or when traveling back and forth from the island. Having the cellular 4G sim in it is a definite must if you plan on ever leaving the house with it.
    I"ll try and get the cellular option. Not sure yet what the final use will be.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-10-2019), Pony (09-10-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    They're typically more expensive. Alternately you could get just a wifi one and use your smartphone as a hotspot.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-10-2019), lost in melb. (09-10-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bingo.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I'm going into Bestbuy in Winchester at the end of the week. I think they have better stuff as well, so I'll scope out what they have. Seems like 10' is the sweet spot.

Agreed, nothing worse than going cheap and they bog down in 6 months once you have a few apps installed. I like going to quality and replace stuff every 3-4 years not 1 1/2 to 2 years.

While you're at BestBuy, ask them to look at the refurbished or demo models. I bought my wife's samsung for 1/2 price because it was a demo with some scratches on the back.