Thread: Man Spends Tens of Thousands of Dollars Fighting $120 Speeding Fine, Still Loses

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Dumb Man Spends Tens of Thousands of Dollars Fighting $120 Speeding Fine, Still Loses

Oddity Central

A 71-year-old man in the UK reportedly spent almost 30,000 pounds ($37,000) fighting a 100-pound speeding fine over several years, but in the end sill lost the case.

Retired engineer Richard Keedwell’s troubles began in November of 2016, when during a day trip to Worcester, he was clocked by police doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. Only he didn’t agree, and recalls having his day ruined by the notice of intended prosecution (NIP) he got in the mail a few days later. He was convinced he couldn’t have been speeding, so he put down “no case to answer” on the document where he was supposed to write how he pleaded to the charges. Furthermore, he hired a video and electronics expert to prove that there must have been something wrong with the police speed camera. Little did he know this was the beginning of a long and expensive legal battle.

Over the course of the last three years, in his quest to dispute the 100 pound fine, Keedwell spent “the best part of 30,000 pounds”, including about 21,000 pounds in barristers’ (lawyers) fees and 7,000 pounds in court costs, as well as travel expenses. He had expected the case to be over fairly quick, but soon realized things moved at a much slower pace than he imagined. For example, it took four trips to Worcester Magistrates’ Court before his appeal was even heard.

The expert he brought in tried to convince the court that the speed camera may have been faulty or simply triggered by a car in an adjacent lane, but the judge would hear none of it. In fact, this court of action may have contributed significantly to the mounting legal fees, as a Crown Prosecution Service spokesperson told BBC that “issues raised by the defense led to the need for additional hearings and for expert evidence to be obtained”.

“I regret the amount of money. I very simply wanted justice,” an exasperated Richard Keedwell said, adding that most of the money his spent was from the inheritance he planned to leave to his sons. That’s all gone now, but he’s reportedly still considering whether to continue his legal action with another appeal at a higher court.

“I’m sick and tired at the whole system which is steamrolling ordinary people,” Keedwell concluded.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I fought a speeding ticket once, never again. You're far better off just paying the fine, because at least here, if you pay early, you get a reduced charge against your license (unless it was a major violation).

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I've never heard of a cop that pulls people over for only 5mph over the limit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I've never heard of a cop that pulls people over for only 5mph over the limit.
    If they wanna be a dick, they could pull you over for 1 mph over

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    If they wanna be a dick, they could pull you over for 1 mph over
    And lots of people out of nervousness will say something that incriminates them.

Cop will say - I'm stopping you for speeding, do you know how fast you were driving? And over 50% of people will respond - I was only doing 52 mph.

There it is, admission of guilt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (09-13-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I didn't mean that they couldn't just that most won't. Last ticket I got I was going 8-9 over in a 70mph zone and had forgotten to put my seatbelt on. She used speed as an excuse to stop me and ticket me for the seatbelt only. I asked her what she got me at and she said with a smile "You were pushing it, but if you would have had your belt on I would have let you slide".

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    And lots of people out of nervousness will say something that incriminates them.

Cop will say - I'm stopping you for speeding, do you know how fast you were driving? And over 50% of people will respond - I was only doing 52 mph.

There it is, admission of guilt.
    I got stopped many years ago, cop asked me how fast I was going and I said 33 in a 25. He said I got you at 32 but I appreciate the honesty, I'll run your license and if your records clean and have your seatbelt on by the time I get back I will let you go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I didn't mean that they couldn't just that most won't. Last ticket I got I was going 8-9 over in a 70mph zone and had forgotten to put my seatbelt on. She used speed as an excuse to stop me and ticket me for the seatbelt only. I asked her what she got me at and she said with a smile "You were pushing it, but if you would have had your belt on I would have let you slide".
    Do you remember something I related a few years back? I went through an orange light (yellowish/red) and was pulled over on the way to work.

I explained I never drive through downtown and the cop said he was going to give me two tickets. One for running the light and one for no seatbelt.

I started laughing and he asked what was so funny? I kinda lost it for a moment and said verbatim - It's Monday morning, I'm late for work and look at my license you dick it's my birthday!

He goes to his car, returns and says - I'm going to give you a warning for running the light, I've given you the maximum amount of time to pay your seatbelt violation and I am not a dick. Have a good birthday.

loved that guy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal-9000 For This Useful Post:

Pony (09-13-2019)