Thread: Denver school targets faculty, staff with microaggression trainings

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Safe Space Denver school targets faculty, staff with microaggression trainings

Frances Floresca, Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

The Metropolitan State University of Denver is offering four microaggressions training sessions for faculty and staff during the fall 2019 semester.

Tisha Townsend, chair of the school’s Microaggressions Awareness Campaign and a Scholar Advisor of the Center for Equity and Student Achievement (CESA), said that the training will allow participants to learn how “our own implicit biases affect our interactions with others” and how to “combat” microaggressions to create a more “equitable and inclusive” campus, according to a university news release.

The campaign was created to build awareness about the impacts of privilege, identity, and power. It will also be “highlighting the difference between intent and impact.”

Presenters of the campaign will provide tools and resources and help the participants be aware of their own biases.

Campus Reform obtained a slideshow presentation that has been used in past training sessions. The slideshow focuses on examples of microaggressions, “tips for confronting,” and more.

One of the slides also shows microaggression examples of people holding up signs that say, “Are you a man or a woman?”, “So, like, what are you?”, “yes, I am legal,” “but you ALL look alike,” and “Courtney, I never see you as a black girl.”

“Many people confronted for saying or doing something they didn’t realize was offensive often become defensive or confused,” the next slide says.

“Even those of us with the best of intentions who actively fight blatant hatred and prejudice contribute to the problem of microaggressions,” reads another slide.

Steps to “confronting” microaggressions include not being defensive, “interact with people who are different from you,” and “bystander intervention.”

Metropolitan State hosted its first fall 2019 training session on Sept. 10. It will host three more on Oct. 16, Nov. 11, and Dec. 18.

“Even if the microaggressions campaign has not affected me personally, I think it tends to silence free speech because it allows people to be offended by anything,” an MSU Denver student who asked to remain anonymous told Campus Reform.

“It would be like me giving my opinion that Chick-fil-A is better than Popeyes, and someone who loves Popeyes gets offended by that and [doesn’t allow] me to state that," the student added.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts

So people in leadership roles or positions of trust like teachers get tagged for using the improper pronoun because they can't tell if Frank is male/female/whatever-ale.

They ask - Are you a boy or a girl out of courtesy and that's still a microaggression?

It's a bloody question of curiosity driven by the fact idiots can now identify as balloons if they want and no one could ever know wtf they are!

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post

So people in leadership roles or positions of trust like teachers get tagged for using the improper pronoun because they can't tell if Frank is male/female/whatever-ale.

They ask - Are you a boy or a girl out of courtesy and that's still a microaggression?

It's a bloody question of curiosity driven by the fact idiots can now identify as balloons if they want and no one could ever know wtf they are!
    Your whole response is a microaggression for not understanding!

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,829 Times in 8,168 Posts
    I like how saying you have friends or lovers that are black is somehow a very bad thing to say when you're talking racism. It crosses this line above according to some people.

I went to school with a black girl in elementary and junior high school and we ran into each other later in high school and dated.

So when someone says - You hate all black people! That's not really the case and I get into trouble for explaining why.