Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Denver leaders unveil proposal to increase citywide minimum wage to $15.87 by January 2021

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Yes, salaries have stagnated. But is the answer doubling the minimum wage over the next 15 months? Minimum wage would be $32,000 in 2021. All goods and services will skyrocket, what about the middle class people making 32k to 50k? Are they going to get $10k pay increases as well? Or are we just going to let half the middle class disappear?
    I'm all for slowly increasing pay for all, Just not a fan of the govt forcing businesses to do it as a "fix all". Especially in a short time period that will have devastating effects on the local economies.

50 years ago the man of the house worked HARD to support his family, even holding two full time jobs if needed. If the family couldn't afford something they went without.

Now everyone has $1000 iPhones, $200 shoes, a $200/month cable and internet bill. A new-ish car with car payment, many living alone in a decent apartment. and complain all the time about how they are broke and it's the rich white mans fault.
    I think part of the solution is looking at why the cost of living has skyrocketed.. Why does a short one day hospital stay cost $25,000? Why does attending a decent university cost 40-60k a year..? Why is a Ford truck 60k now? Nobody balks at that shit, but mention giving someone a more fair pay relative to the cost of living these days and its a Conservative flip out..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-23-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I think part of the solution is looking at why the cost of living has skyrocketed.. Why does a short one day hospital stay cost $25,000? Why does attending a decent university cost 40-60k a year..? Why is a Ford truck 60k now? Nobody balks at that shit, but mention giving someone a more fair pay relative to the cost of living these days and its a Conservative flip out..
    I'm all for cost of living increases. But it has to be done in small increments to reduce the shock to the economy. 3%-5% a year for everyone would be nice. Even a 3-5% increase a year in minimum wage would give businesses a chance to adapt and possibly entice skilled labor employers to increase as well to get quality employees and stay ahead of the minimum number. I honestly don't have the answer. I don't believe in letting a huge govt control wages.

Anyway, gotta run, good chat mate!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Muddy (09-23-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (09-23-2019)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    You want to know why a Ford truck is $60K now? Ask the UAW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (09-23-2019)