Thread: Cancel Culture

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

SJW Cancel Culture

It's a big thing right now, especially it seems used more by the left. If you did or said anything at all in your past whether it was (A) acceptable at the time but now taboo in today's PC culture or (B) back when you were a dumb and stupid kid that would open your mouth (or hit the keyboard nowadays) before thinking, it comes back to haunt you and puts you on an eternal blacklist, depending on how contrite you are, and whether you are white or a 'person of color' or if you are left leaning or right leaning.

Is it a fad? Is it fair to dig through someone's tweets that they made when they were 15 or 16 years old? Is it right to blacklist a comedian because he told a gay joke back in 1988? This seems to be getting worse, not better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-27-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Of course it's not right. But nobody will ever find shit on me. I don't have any social media accounts, and I learned a long time ago from others' mistakes, that what's put on the web lives forever.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Of course it's not right. But nobody will ever find shit on me. I don't have any social media accounts, and I learned a long time ago from others' mistakes, that what's put on the web lives forever.
    Maybe I phrased it wrong...one of the podcasts I listen to brought up the fact that The Young Turks (if you haven't heard of these guys, they are an UBER left leaning YouTube Channel) defending Cancel Culture in a different way. They were framing it as nothing more than consequences of your actions, something that been around forever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    There is currently legislation out there that forces Google to honor something called "the right to be forgotten"..

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    There is currently legislation out there that forces Google to honor something called "the right to be forgotten"..
    It's not just what you can Google...it's Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and anything else you ever documented and ended up online.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    It's not just what you can Google...it's Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and anything else you ever documented and ended up online.
    I think the broader picture though is once you 'deactivate' they will no longer be able to hold your info on their databases.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And there's this story: http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/sho...1M-for-charity

The newspaper deliberately went back looking for something bad to print about the guy, even though he raised more than $1 million (!) for charity. Those tweets he made as a teenager have ZERO to do with the story at hand, they did it as a "standard background check" on the guy.

Luckily Karma stepped in and that reporter got fired over stuff he posted in the past that people went and dug up on him after the story ran.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And there's this story: http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/sho...1M-for-charity

The newspaper deliberately went back looking for something bad to print about the guy, even though he raised more than $1 million (!) for charity. Those tweets he made as a teenager have ZERO to do with the story at hand, they did it as a "standard background check" on the guy.

Luckily Karma stepped in and that reporter got fired over stuff he posted in the past that people went and dug up on him after the story ran.
    Any body that has been on the web in the past most likely has had a few moments of truth that they have posted.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I think the broader picture though is once you 'deactivate' they will no longer be able to hold your info on their databases.
    It'sall still there if you only 'deactivate' your account. For example, as I posted in RBP's thread in the WTF section, McKayla Maroney deactivated her Instagram over a year ago and she just recently reactivated it and all her old posts are still there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Plus if you say you want your stuff deleted, you're putting your faith in the tech companies to actually delete your stuff from their servers, which I don't trust that they actually would do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It'sall still there if you only 'deactivate' your account. For example, as I posted in RBP's thread in the WTF section, McKayla Maroney deactivated her Instagram over a year ago and she just recently reactivated it and all her old posts are still there.
    I think the law is supposed to deal with that once passed.

Plus if you say you want your stuff deleted, you're putting your faith in the tech companies to actually delete your stuff from their servers, which I don't trust that they actually would do.
    I agree.. And I dont have much trust in that...

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    The bigger issue isn't the technology, it's the culture that support such lunacy.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Maybe I phrased it wrong...one of the podcasts I listen to brought up the fact that The Young Turks (if you haven't heard of these guys, they are an UBER left leaning YouTube Channel) defending Cancel Culture in a different way. They were framing it as nothing more than consequences of your actions, something that been around forever.

I've seen those asshats. They're a joke. As far as it being consequences of your actions, in a way I kind of agree but for different reasons. As we all know and like I've already stated above, what you put on the internet under your name will live on forever... or at least as long as the internet still runs. It will always be there for people looking to discover shit about you for their proverbial ax. People are like that. They've always been like that. They're always looking for shit to pin on their opponents. They were doing that before the web, now they're doing it a whole lot easier.

If you're uploading shit to the internet, opinions, pictures, whatever, under your name, then you should seriously consider what problems it may cause you down the road. A lot of these services enable people to unload their thoughts onto the web, and if the web hadn't existed, then for the most part those thoughts you had would either remain just thoughts, or opinions that you've shared with trusted friends and not much beyond that. Sometimes these thoughts would shape who you are in other people's eyes, and sometimes they'd be forgotten. But the point is, their your thoughts. Without the web, the entire world won't be able to tell what you're thinking on a particular topic, or whether you cracked a joke 10 year ago about gay people or trannies, or whatever. Without the web, nothing is preserved for posterity for all to see. People don't really make that distinction any more. Back before the web, we had discretion. We knew that there were things that we shouldn't say out loud in public for all people to hear. We knew that if we did, people would use it against us. So we kept our thoughts to ourselves. Now we have these platforms where we can type out whatever fleeting thought we have at any given moment, and have that thought preserved forever for all to see. I say discretion is the better part of valor. If you have a thought and you're thinking about putting it down in 280 characters or less, maybe you should think back to when the only way you had to communicate was by voice. If you're out in public surrounded by people you know nothing about and all of their eyes are on you, would you really want all of these people to hear every thought that you're thinking? If not, then don't post it online. Don't put it out in the Twitterverse, or on Instagram... at least not under your real name or any account that can be traced back to you.

Now this guy was a kid when he posted whatever he posted. Should he be punished in perpetuity? Of course not. That goes against every principle that our country stands for. These leftists need to learn to distinguish between different levels of seriousness and let shit go. They need to learn forgiveness. But they're not gonna do that, because their behavior is being positively reinforced by everybody else that agrees with them. There's no negative consequence to their actions. Like it or not, this is what we're dealing with today.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (09-28-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's not just the internet, they are going after people in history. They're going after famous authors because, although what they wrote at the time was accepted, now it doesn't conform to today's PC culture. So it doesn't have to do just with recent things like social media, they are going after anything and anyone they find offensive.

Another perfect example is the destruction of all the Confederate civil war statues. It's offensive to a certain minority of people, so it all needs to be "canceled" and never spoken about again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (09-28-2019)